From Nikon to Canon - A confession

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by mematsu, Sep 16, 2008.

1. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    So, after many, many months of using Nikon equipment, I went out a few weeks ago and traded away my Nikon for Canon.

Before I get started, I would like to just share that this is not in any way a comparison between the two, but just my experience in the doing.

Equipment is just that, equipment for most, but my addictive behavior has taken it to another level. If you watch the buy/sell forum you'll know what I mean. :smile::frown:

A few things I've found in the short time with Canon. All with a grain of salt and humor is intended.

1. 51 points is nice. Especially if the one you are using is highlighted.
    2. Build quality is worth more to me than I had known.
    3. Having dual formats is really nice.
    4. I like buttons over menus.
    5. I like F4 zooms a lot.
    6. It's really hard to turn on my new bodies with one hand.
    7. FX is really nice - especially at the price I got it.
    8. The folk on this forum are very polite.
    9. A one year lens warranty is different from a five year warranty - Or is it?
    10. How many clicks are on my new bodies?

I'm sure some of these things will not matter much to me as I get used to my new system and some I will continue to miss.

Ok, now I feel a little better having told my tale. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  2. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    best of luck with your new equipment - I hope it serves you well.

3. Canon or Nikon, in the end of the day its the pictures that matters.

happy shooting

4. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I wouldn't recommend a Nikon to Canon (or Canon to Nikon) to my worst enemy. You must have taken a financial beating on the switch. In my never-to-be-humble-opinion, other than ergonomics, there is so little to differentiate the Canon and Nikon lines, and even less when the comparison goes to printed product.

I do wish you well in your new world, and hope, for your sake, that the grass is indeed greener there.

5. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles

It was a face to face trade, so I didn't lose on shipping/paypal and if you look at current market pricing, I did quite well. :smile:

The printed product? That has never been the goal for me. I love the process. No wonder I haven't improved. :wink:

Greener grass? No. But different grass.

Thanks for the wishes and I do agree that a brand trade is not for most and maybe unwise, but I haven't a regret.

So far.

6. DoJC

DoJC

Feb 14, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    I'm not dissing Nikon, just wanted to express my opinion, so no ad hominem attacks please.

Really? From someone who owns all Nikon gear and is about to dump it in favor of Canon for my shooting needs, here's a few to begin with:
    Canon offers more lens options: 70-200 f2.8 IS, a 70-200 f2.8 non-IS, 70-200 f4 IS and a 70-200 f4 non-IS
    400 f5.6 - weighs 2.8lbs with superb IQ
    400 f4 DO
    100-300
    100-400
    800 f5.6 ($12k, but awesome)

Then there are the major price differences in super-telephotos:
    400 f2.8 is nearly $2000 cheaper
    500 f4 is $2000 cheaper
    600 f4 is $1900 cheaper

Almost NONE of these lenses are available from Nikon ANYWHERE! People have been waiting for a Nikon 600mm lens for eight months or more. Canon's lenses ARE in stock nearly everywhere. Order today, get it after a couple of days of waiting.

Admittedly, Nikon's flash system is light years ahead of Canon. But, I don't take but a few hundred shots using a flash, and don't care about how well it does/doesn't work. Nikon also has a 1.7x tele I wish Canon produced, and may make in the next year or so.

The way I see it is that Canon offers WAY more for my photo needs, and is leapfrogging Nikon by a considerable amount with their 50D and 5D Mk II. Some may have need of what Nikon has to offer, and for them I say stick with Nikon and enjoy it.

7. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    It's actually quite surprising how much you can get on Fleabay for gear as long as it is accurately described and well photographed. But I agree, why change when generally both systems are fine.

8. There's no need to justify your personal decision. The reasons only make sense to you anyway, in the context of your unique shooting interests and style.

You may not have intended to, but you did anyway :rolleyes:. Happy shooting and God bless.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  9. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Oh no, another dpreview thread that has got lost in cyber space, and landed on Nikon Cafe. Seconds out, round two, ding ding ...

10. Confused!

Confused!

Aug 30, 2007
    KALEEFONIA
    come on man, what kind of nonsense is this?

11. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Enjoy the switch! I do like Canon's lens options (and lens prices for the big glass!!) but Canon's ergonomics are a HUGE turn off for me, which is why I went Nikon to begin with.

Either way you go the pictures have the potential for greatness.

12. I was planning on jumping ship until the 3 series came out. I would have lost $$$ big time. Right now is the best time to switch to canon anyway if you want, because the current trend seems to be nikon. So nikon gear is getting a great price while canon is all over the used market. If the new 5d is as great as they say that may change but I doubt it. It is almost like day trading these days. Kinda sad really. They both take great pics. I will stick with nikon personally.

13. DoJC

DoJC

Feb 14, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Two quick thoughts:

1. I'm entitled to my opinion, and expressed it as I quoted above. If you don't agree cease the attacks and productively add to the discussion. Notice the beginning of the sentence, "The way I see it..." If you did something constructive like giving some facts and/or your opinion it would add to the overall knowledge base of this site and help you not come across harshly.

2. This is nothing more than my opinion based on my experiences with more than three decades of photography, including a stint as a professional wedding photographer. I've owned a D300 since November, 2007 and am ready to get rid of it and change over to Canon to better meet my photography needs.

14. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Maybe, but your posting was very provocative, and dare I say troll-like. The fact that you did not give any explanation as to why they are better adds to that impression. Maybe you could do "something constructive like giving some facts".

15. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    God, I hope not.

A note to Cannonites (of which I am one) - please recognize you are in Nikon's sandbox here - and it is not polite to start a fight (or try to finish one) here. Play nice. Don't take it personally. Enjoy photography. Live and let live.

16. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Doug (and others)- I've come the other direction but never sold any of my Canon gear in my sig. PM me if you are interested in swapping any Nikon gear for Canon gear or are just looking to purchase excellent condition used gear.

17. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

Nikon and Canon offer two very different body styles in my opinion. I used a digital rebel before I purchased my D70, which was the closest body to the Rebel at the time. The difference in feel for me was night and day.

My sister-in-law recently purchased a 40D, and I spent an efternoon with it before deciding to upgrade to the D300 from my D70. Again, the difference in feel was night and day for me.

I'm sure I could get used the using Canon bodies, but I don't want to have to get used to a body. The Nikon bodies simply felt 'right' in my hands from the very first time I held them.

I've seen award winning photography from both brands, and both have enough offerings that anyone using a particular system should be thrilled with the number of choices out there.

It is only when the photographer becomes one with the camera that the
    mind is free to fully concentrate on composition and light.....

Nikon bodies allow me to forget that I'm using a camera so that I can concentrate on the image I'm trying to capture. Canon doesn't do that for me.

18. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Definitely an oversight on my part. The D300 was a part of my right arm. My 5D? Hummmm.

I'll be back in a couple of years, if not sooner.:smile:

19. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Trying to keep up with cameras these day is like trying to keep up with computers. Nikon and Canon continue to leapfrog each other every few months. First it was Nikon with D3/D300, and most recently the Nikons 5D answer with the D700. Now 8 months later Canon is fighting back with the 50D and 5DmkII.

Nikon has already released a taste of what's to come with the D90, mostly the HD movie options. We're all well aware that a high res version of the D3 is on it's way with 24mp and an autofocus system that we already know WORKS (unlike some of Canon's current flagship bodies).

Speaking of autofocus, anyone else catch that the new 5DmkII is still on a 9 point AF system? This will win NO favor of sports shooters or action/wildlife crowds. The 21mp chip will earn points to studio shooters on a budget and the advanced amateur types but that's about it. So the 5DmkII has not in any way "eclipsed" the D700, it offers more MP and HD movies, but in the real world the D700 still has a far better AF system.

We could spend hours arguing the finer points of each camera but that's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that in a few months Nikon will trump Canon, and a few months after that Canon will come back, etc, etc. Switching brands every 6 months to "keep up" is insanely foolish unless one company is offering something so great you MUST have it right away.

If it's the HD movies you're after, by all means, jump ship to Canon. If it's the MP you are after, stick around, the hig res D3 should be out soon enough, and the $2,000 price difference in cameras will easily get eaten up in what is lost selling off used gear to buy new.

20. johan11

johan11

Jan 17, 2008
    seattle
    I think switching brands is very valid move if you enjoy gear & analysing the finer points of this spec vs. that spec, collecting new gear and musing over the latest and greatest.

That's the great thing about this world -- so much variety and choice out there.
    Enjoy your Canon and I hope the switch has reinvigorated your photography.

Good shooting to you!