from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Gerald Plowman, Jun 12, 2007.

1. My brother want to go to a Mac Book from a PC. Apple folks are telling him the Mac Book which comes with 1 gig of memory is all he needs; doesn't need 2 gigs for photo processing. Assume he will be processing RAWs; would you agree?

2nd question. Would you tell him to buy Aperture or use Nikon Capture and a PS program like Elements?

Thanks for any advise I can pass along.

2. Macs like RAM. He will be happier with 2 or 3GB if the photos are large file sizes IMHO. Not that 1GB won't work, just may not be as fast as he would like.

Aperture does a fine job IMHO.

3. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I'm able to process photos fine with 1GB of RAM using a combination of iPhoto (comes free) and Photoshop CS3. I do want an upgrade, though, and will be getting one eventually.

4. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I'd go with 2 GB and Adobe Lightroom.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    CS3 comes with ACR 4 for really good processing

Don't know about the other stufff
    Prob more ram is good

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    1 GB would give a bit of breathing room, but for serious work 2 GB or more is what he'd want. I just upgraded my Mac Mini from 512 MB to 2 GB and 2 GB is fine. With a bunch of apps open including iView and DxO parallel processing two images at once it was using a peak of about 1.5-1.6 GB and I could still switch between apps without a problem. With only 1 GB more would have had to get dumped to the swap file and it might have gotten a bit choppy. With only 512 MB, DxO took everything and the computer was useless for anything else while it was running.

I use iView for sorting images, DxO for post processing, and GIMP (free) as a Photoshop program when I need to do specific things. I'd like to try Lightroom but haven't had the time.

Edit: I'm also a recent PC convert. :biggrin: I had 512MB on an IBM Thinkpad T60 which was my last Windoze machine (ebayed to pay for the Mini) and 512MB seems to get you a lot further on Windoze than it does on Mac OS X. So I agree that Macs do seem to like RAM. Of course I wasn't doing all that I am now with photos so the same 512MB on Windows probably wouldn't have done any better.

7. I would like to thank all the Pros in the Forum who took the time to reply. . . you provided a lot of great information. The Nikon Cafe comes through again!

My next computer will be an Apple as well. I run 58 gigs on the HD and that is enough SW to cause any computer problems. . I just think there will be less with Apple.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    2GB Ram minimum, and I recommend LightRoom.

9. I have to disagree with you here. I think that OS X seems to handle RAM much more efficiently than Windoze does. When I was using my WIN XP Pro machine with 2 GB RAM it seemed that I'd have to stop and reboot frequently while trying to edit images in CS2. When I got my G5 iMac and started editing images in CS2 in it, I was surprised at how I didn't have to stop and reboot, and unlike in my WIN XP machine I could do other things as well without the RAM choking up. Each machine had 2 GB RAM. I think part of the difference was that the WIN XP Pro machine was throttled by all the extra software I needed to have in it: virus scan, ad-aware, software firewall, etc.... Whatever, I did notice a significant improvement in the utilization of RAM in the G5 iMac as opposed to the WIN XP Pro machine.

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Connie, I was talking more about just running basic apps like web, email, and very basic image management and editing (Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8). Immediately I noticed that the Mini with 512 would start choking for more RAM a lot sooner than my Windoze box did. I just looked up the specs for the video memory on the Mini and it's "80MB minimum", resulting in 432MB of available memory. I didn't realize it was that much, so that was probably the difference right there, so just ignore what I said above. My Windoze laptop had a fairly hot graphics chip in it with its own memory so it had the full 512MB available, so I'm comparing apples to oranges. :wink: