From Spring Mill State Park, IN

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by R Bond, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Here's a shot of an old log cabin and garden behind the mill. Comments, critique or advise welcome.

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Rb

Hi RB

That has got to be one of my all time favourites.

It has an old fashioned chocolate box lid feel to it - delicate and beautiful.

It is simply superb.

I like the angle you have taken from and the contrast between the colour of the flowers and the log cabin.

Print and frame.

I have played about at home with the image using pWL and other things and with your permission would like to post for you to see.

You cannot improve on what you have done but wondered if you may like to see my efforts.

Very best wishes

Ray

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I like the picture, but I find there is just to much there. Nothing really draws
    my eye to any one spot. The flowers in the front and the front and back
    archway all seem to be fighting with the cabin as the main interest.

I wonder how the shoot would look if you moved over to the left and shot
    through the front archway, and had it frame the cabin some.

4. It's funny - I really like this picture, but when I first opened the thread only the top half of the image was visible. So it looked like a great cabin with the old arch. and I was saying to myself how I liked it, and then I scroll down and it became almost an entirely different picture with the obvious 'domestication' of the tended garden in the foreground. And it really surprised my, but I still think I like it because of that surprise.

lol, I ramble

5. Thank you very much Ray for the glowing review, it's not often that I get such compliments on my photography. Yes, you have my permission to post your version even though I have no idea what pWL is.

6. Thanks Todd

You are saying it's a little "too busy", I often break the rules and seldom get away with it, still this shot grows on me. I could not get in the position that you suggest on that day, there was a temporary canopy in the way. Was going to go back after the leaves had turned but could not schedule the time, C'est la vie. There is always next year and of course I just might go see how it looks this winter.
    Thanks again for the thoughtful critique.

7. Thanks Puzzle

I am glad you like this shot.

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Ralph

I had another look at your picture and still remain of the same view...I really do like the pastel type colours you have and the placement of the cabin and flowers.

OK each to their own but for me it seems to work superbly.

Thank you for allowing me to post my processing.

I should say that I spend most time in processing and have a style which is not to everyone's taste.

I tend to overprocess....much more in your face style....but that is just me.

I have used painting with light and texturised and finished with a frame.

Hope you like......

Very best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    HI Ralph

Hope you dont mind but also wanted to try a painted image with some PWL to maintain the pastel like appearance of your original.

Her eit is...personally i prefer it to the more dramatic one, but still prefer your original.

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice work Ray.

The image is fantastic to begin with. Lots to work with.

11. Ray,

What a suburb job on this picture. But I want RB to know that I like the picture either way. Very nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  12. Hello Ray

I see what you mean by over processing but don't take that as criticism, I like what you did to the photo. There is definately an art to that type of processing and being able to get away with it, you seem to have that ability.
    Thanks for showing this and thanks for the compliments.

13. Thank you Melissa.

14. Hello Gale

Thank you very much.