1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

From The Archives

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dayo, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Been playing around with ON1 PhotoRAW 2019 and interesting to visit come old images ... mainly for the memories they evoke.

"Yashica MAT G"
    We were driving in Sultanate of Oman following the Lonely Planet to find a beach where green turtles come to lay eggs back in Feb 2006 when we came upon a literal one road town where the unpaved road we had been driving on for hours gave way to a lovely paved road (Only about a kilometer long through the town).

It had a shop and a photo studio. While the missus went into the shop to buy some supplies, I wandered into the photo shop to have a look. By the time she had finished grabbing a few drinks and snacks, I was walking out with a Yashica MAT G from the shop. The local pro had just gone digital and was happy to offload his relic to the sucker passing through.

I was able to get it cleaned up and add a Rollei Hood back in the UK.

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D @ ISO 400
    Tamron 90mm
    1/90 @ f/2.8
    AB-0-FE_ON1-small.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"Fun at the Museum"
    The MAT G was sorted out at some camera shop close to the Brit Museum in London. I had gone in to pass the time and once I saw this statue, I knew I just had to wait to get a shot mirroring the profile.

Nikon D200 @ ISO 1100
    AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm (Creeper) @ 170mm
    1/15 @ f/8
    AB-0-MY_ON1-small.jpg

Back to the MAT G, they certainly don't make em like that anymore!

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D @ ISO 400
    Tamron 90mm
    0.7s @ f/11
    AB-0-FI_ON1-small.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I like these old cameras.
    Excellent capture on the profile, Dayo!

3. Indeed! Great eye to see the juxtaposition.

4. Great series and certainly some very evocative images.

5. Thanks @Bart@Bart, @Mike Buckley@Mike Buckley & @Palouse@Palouse

Only really interesting in terms of the memories I hold that they evoke … of the trip, the night camping on a beach, the turtles, the guy would must have thought the gods where smiling on him when I walked into his little studio and wanted to buy his beaten up cam having just gone digital. Whenever I look at that camera, which still works perfectly well today, I always remember that trip.

Interesting how much is often locked into these images we capture and how they can have a significant personal meaning to us.

I suppose the profile one has a modicum of artistic merit to a third party.

6. So true! There was just one photo of the nearly 13,000 I've kept in the last 35 years that I didn't remember where I captured it without looking up the metadata. That's true even if the photo is just a flower. Once I remember where I captured an image, lots of other memories also come to mind in significant detail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.