From the backyard - Black Bellied Whistling Ducks

This pair of Black Bellied Whistling Ducks paid a visit to the pond behind my home for a couple of days this week. I didn't get to catch any really good flight shots (just one interesting butt shot) so I hope they return soon! :)

All taken with D2H, 300f4, TC14, handheld (with a little support help from the fence)

43225284.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 8914

View attachment 8915

Here's that one flight shot --

View attachment 8916

They got comfortable enough to take a little nap! I'm trying to think of captions for this one -- like "mirror image" or "Don't you know which leg to stand on?" -- but I'm sure the creative folks here can outdo those! :lol:

View attachment 8917

greyflash said:
Good series of a duck I am not familiar with. Like the last one with both ducks on one leg.

Thanks, Gordon. These ducks are fairly numerous in south Texas, but it's the first time I've had them visit the pond.

Really nice shots.

Pretty duck. Thier babies look like little zebras.

We had a pair with quite a few ducklings. All but one parent and one baby were lunch for the alligators :<((((((

Before I got the VR VR VR lens, I took some shots. they were awful. I can't hand hold.

Tripod was not possible. I was ready to sell my gear and not shoot anymore.

Thank goodness for VR VR VR.

Thanks, Gale. I haven't seen any of the babies of this species, but maybe they'll take up residence nearby and I'll get a chance in the future. I also like the VR lenses and wish this 300f4 had it. Guess I'll just have to wait til I can part with the money for the 200-400!

When I saw your post title, I knew it had to be Texas! What a great place to have a back yard. I remember seeing those ducks for the first time in Rockport, Tx. Nice shots!

Thanks, Janet! I've heard of Rockport but haven't visited yet. Only been in Texas about 2 years and it's really a big place! Lots to see and lots of photos to take!

Outstanding shots Don. Here's a pic of what their ducklings look like. These are the chicks Gale was referring to (pre-gator)

36495656.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
nice shots, Don. I have never seen this species before either. I can see me trying to nap like that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom