From the backyard yesterday - Green Heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, May 8, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    I haven't posted any new topics in a few days as I've been pursuing one of my other time consuming hobbies -- woodworking. On Saturday morning, my wife spotted this Green Heron on the pond so I snapped a few shots before I headed out to the workshop. He/she walked around the edge and passed within about 8 feet of my position against the fence and didn't seem to notice that I was there.

All shots taken with D2H, 300f4 and TC14 handheld (using the fence for a little extra stability)

Stalking breakfast

A tiny morsel

Getting close

Up close and personal

This is an odd looking heron in some ways. The photos above show it mostly with its neck compressed, so it looks rather normal. Here's a shot from last week that shows what it looks like with the neck extended. The neck just doesn't go with the body to me!

2. WOW!!!!!!!!!! :shock: what a backyard you have there Don...!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Excellent images, great gear and very strong hand you have!!! Keep posting!!! ;-)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am comming to your back yard. Please don't shoot little old lady stalking your birds...lolol

Wonderful shots. Great job.

Yes neck extended do look rather long for the body size.. Great shot also.

Thanks for sharing.

4. What is it with you guys and your back yards, I got to move already! LOL..........luv the 4th shot, well done!

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Don,

Very good captures of a green heron. They are hard to shoot because they are very shy.

Harry

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks for all the comments! Gale, the only thing I'd shoot a little old lady wandering around my backyard with is my camera! Like they say about buying all real estate -- it's location, location, location! And to think I wasn't interested in this house the first time I saw it -- my wife saw the potential, but not in the photo ops.

7. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

In my backyard I got......hey I don't have one!!!!

As far as the eye can see I have an endless supply of concrete and glass!! Apartments, apartments, apartments.....ahhhh Asia ;)

Man, you must have a blast with stuff like that in the area...Nice shots!

Joel.

Joel.

8. Don, these are very nice! I'm glad you posted the last one too. I've always seen them as they appear with their "short" necks. On one of my walks, I snapped a few with the neck extended but thought it was a different bird altogether. I'm still learning these bird varieties and this one has helped me lots.

9. The green heron is such a sharp looking bird. Love all the shots, but especially the first two!! :D :D :D :D

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Don. Greg and I saw one of these fellows (gals?) as the pond this morning, but it was up in a tree behind a limb, so we didn't get any shots nearly as good as these.

Must be nice to have them in your back yard. 8)