From the Galapagos Islands...

My wife and I had the opportunity to go visit our daughter in Ecuador. She's been in Riobamba (90 miles south of Quito) for the last 9 months as a Rotary exchange student. She comes home on July 14th and we decided that we wanted to go visit her before then. She was in the Galapagos' a couple of months ago and wanted to go back with us. Who are we to say no? We spent 2 days on the island of Santa Cruz before going on a 4-night cruise around a few of the islands. We had a great time... Here are a few from that week:

#1 Galapagos Tortoise:
After checking into our hotel, we walked out to the Charlies Darwin Research Center where we saw our first giant tortoises.
The Galapagos tortoise or Galapagos giant tortoise is the largest living species of tortoise, reaching weights of over 880 lbs and lengths of over 5.9 ft.
Only seven subspecies now exist in the wild, one on Santiago, Santa Cruz, San Cristóbal, Pinzón and Española, and two on Isabela. An eighth surviving subspecies, abingdoni from Pinta Island, is considered extinct in the wild and is represented by a single living specimen, "Lonesome George" who resides at the research center.
Shell size and shape vary between populations. On islands with humid highlands, the tortoises are larger, with domed shells and short necks. On islands with dry lowlands, the tortoises are smaller, with "saddleback" shells and long necks.
i-M3FwDp8-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Not the greatest shot but this give you a sense of their size...
i-GvPk9tr-XL.jpg

#3 We saw lots of Sally Lightfoot Crabs on every island we visited...
i-kjcGZ3j-XL.jpg

i-zVs8JCG-XL.jpg

#5 Marine Iguanas...
The only sea-going lizard and exists only in the Galapagos. Despite their Godzilla-like look, they are herbivores and feed on marine algae. Being cold blooded, they can only stay in the cold waters for a short time. After they dive for food, they return to the rocks to bask in the sun and raise their body temperatures. As they try to warm up, they will mass together and be sprawled all over each other.
i-L73RZL8-XL.jpg

#6 Surveying their domain...
i-kxJ4PtG-XL.jpg

#7 My daughter doing her best impression of a marine iguana. This iguana has minimized his profile to the sun in order not to get too hot.
i-2sqsPkZ-XL.jpg

#8 Blue-footed Booby
i-gCJdGSp-XL.jpg

#9 Galapagos Penguin
The only penguin to live north of the equator in the wild. We were snorkeling one afternoon and had one swim by about 4 feet away. For as clumsy as they are on land, they are amazingly fast in the water.
i-2CPTg6L-XL.jpg

#10 Great-Blue Heron
i-5fVSxNQ-XL.jpg

#11 Greater Flamingo
i-gV3sz33-XL.jpg

Galapagos Wow! That's a once a lifetime trip if there ever was.

Great pictures thanks for sharing the set.

Very nice, Mike, and I like your commentary.

My wife and I visited the Galapagos in February, and I posted several threads in March on our trip. Your photos take me back, and I specifically remember the spot where your #6 was taken.

Galapagos Wow! That's a once a lifetime trip if there ever was.

Great pictures thanks for sharing the set.
Thanks! We certainly hope that this was not a once in a lifetime trip. We were not able to visit the eastern islands so we definitely want to go back. Plus there is a lot of Ecuador for our daughter to show us still!

+1 on that.
I like shot 6 the best.
I agree with the #6 shot. Loved it!!!!
My wife agrees with you. :smile:

Great series! The Galapagos are a wonderful place to visit and photograph. Well done!
Thanks. We had an awesome time. Our guide was fantastic and our boat was great.

Very nice, Mike, and I like your commentary.

My wife and I visited the Galapagos in February, and I posted several threads in March on our trip. Your photos take me back, and I specifically remember the spot where your #6 was taken.
How was the weather when you were there? We had no rain and pretty mild temps. Not nearly as hot as we were planning for. I think we were along side the boat you were on in Tagus Cove and then at the refueling station.

What a great experience and a wonderful set of pics!
Totally recommend it to anyone!

Latest threads

Top Bottom