From the table, Sexy it up???

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by TR_Fox, Jun 27, 2005.

1. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Here is one from this weekend.
    one light 90 from right.

Do you think I need to sexy up this shot. I kind of like it, but would like some other eyes on it :shock:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shot. I like this alot.

the only thing I could suggest is a bit of "paint with light on the coffee beans so they are not so dull.

Unless that was the intention.

Kinda like on the edges of the beans. Going in your direction of light.

but then again the net does not really show what you see or print.

also looking again I think it is a tad askew. )But then so am I prob.... :>)))))))) ......)

3. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks Gale

it does print better with the light. I will have to put up a grid or two. I did not notice the skew. I will do some looking closer.

thanks for the input. Sometime I look so long at a shot both in the lens the lens and in the darkroom I get a little skewed. :lol:

BTW you are the first Gale and spells her name like my sister.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    If you want sexy, maybe a lip print on the cup?

Or better, a nice curvey wisp of steam rising out of the cup.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah Tim,

My mother liked some movie star at the time I was born..Didn't realize the spelling at the time.. Has its advantages in goofy e-mail they think I am a guy...Same with regular mail lolol

O well......

on the looking at a photo to long, I sure understand that. eeekkk... all the time.

thanks for the reply..
    Lord knows we all need a few more eyes.

PS Chris may have a point...Leave it to Chris lololol

6. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Yes Chris aways seems to have an idea.

I like the steam idea, but not sure how to shoot it. Seems to get lost in the image.

As for "sexy" I mean like spice. You know jazz it up.

So Chris any ideas on the steam??

Gale

My sister was named after my grandfather Dale. :lol: She has complained her whole life can find anything with her name on that is spelled right. :wink:

7. kcphotos

kcphotos Guest

I'm biased. It's a photo of coffee. I love coffee ... so it's sexy enough for me :D

Good lighting, but I agree with Gale, some glossier beans might add some punch to it.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Steam and smoke always seem to show up better when backlit, so maybe, like a microscope light hitting real steam from behind? I would suspect that it would not look right though. Maybe some dry ice. I know the steam from DI tends to go downward, but if you blew into the cup with a straw from above, you might be able to get it to swirl up.

Here's a totally different idea, like Galen said, use glossier beans, then have a single drop of thick coffee running down the side of the cup.

Glint the light off the drop so it mimics the reflections you'll have in the shiny beans.

It's an interesting challenge you've chosen for yourself. A cup of coffee is a common item, and to make a photo of it stand out isn't easy!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would go to the retouching forum on DPR. Those guys are gurus at PS..You would be amazed what they can do and you can learn some great tips and tricks.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gale, is 'shoppin' in that stuff really photography? Tim, may I?

[​IMG]

11. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thanks Chris,

it looks great care to share the steam and light on the beans.

I have only been shooting digi for about 6 months so I am just learning PS.

Any help on how would be great. I have check in the PS section on DP but I get confused on what they are saying.

Thanks again for all the help

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Sure.

I just drew in some steam wisps on a layer. I drew them quite small and stretched them into their final size and shape with the Transform command. I used scale, distort and especially warp, which is new in CS2. Then I adjusted the transparency until it looked convincing. A darker background might have looked better for this type of paint-over.

The light on the beans was more straight forward. I selected the beans with the magic wand and lasso. Then used Filters>Render>Lighting Effects to place a spotlight that was the same width as the selection. then adjusted the intensity and angle until it looked right.

The drip was just gratuitous, I searched Google for a blood drop, took the very first image and again transformed it into the proper shape, desaturated most of the red color and placed it on the side of the cup.

------------------

I was thinking another way to get real steam would be to use one of those oil-steam generators that model rail-roads use.

13. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Great info

Thanks Chris. I just loaded up CS2 on Sunday so this might be fun.
    I like the oil-steam generator. Might have to do some shopping.

BTW what are you charging for PS classes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I took PS - ART270 a while back (it was PS7) at Phoenix College from Pat Tenyek, who is also teaching it (and ART 117, beginning PS) this coming Fall. Tuition is about $150 for the course (plus a materials, ink and paper, fee), and it's one night a week (Wednesdays.) Class starts August 24 and run 'til mid December. Pat's the kind of teacher who lets you go where you want, but is there if you need guidance.

Disclaimer: I work for PC and want extra pay from the marketing department for the above paragraph.

15. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Tim,

Nice shot...there are many post-shoot ways to "enhance" photos.

I also took the liberty of doing a little PS2 work...hope you don't mind.

[​IMG]

I warmed it up a bit, a little framing, and a coffee sack burlap overlay...

C

16. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    I will look into it and make sure you get full credit for the recruiting. :wink:

17. Remember Critiques are subjective. Here is what I would do.

First of all change the camera angle so we can see inside the cup slightly,
    so you know what is inside. Fill the cup to within 3/8's of an inch of the
    brim with coffee. and a half drop of dish soap. Just before shooting use a
    syringe and inject a couple of bubbles in to the cup. This will give the
    appearance of freshly poured coffee.

Secondly your composition is too static, loosen up the beans a bit so it does
    not appear that they have been placed around the cup so rigidly. like little
    soldiers. Also don't be afraid to get closer to the subject, you don't need to include
    all of the cup, saucer and beans to be an effective shot.

Next and biggest concern is lighting. Feather or Gobo your light away from
    the background a bit to get some fall off. It will add depth to the shot and
    allow you to add some steam to the coffee. Use a small mirror or a grid
    spot to kick some light into the beans and the left side of the cup. If you
    are using a grid spot, keep it as far back as possible. so all you add to the
    cup is a thin line down the left side.

Every attempt should be made to do the shot photographically. Adding
    the steam on system is a compromise but it is not realistic. Too many times
    in this industry we hear "I can fix it on system" Why not do it correctly the
    first time and save the computer time.

There are a couple of different ways of doing this. Behind the cup, but out
    of sight of the camera. You can either put a small piece of incense. The smoke
    from the incense will curl up around the rim and give a fairly effective steam trail.

The most effective way I have found of adding steam to the shot is by
    (now you are going laugh! ) lighting the end of a tampon, blowing out
    the flame and allowing it to smolder behind the cup. The smoke will
    actually flow over the rim of the cup and give that hot coffee look.

I did not have much time to play today but I did throw this together
    it illustrates some of the concepts that I am talking about.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Robin

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris,

BRAVO.. great job. I am imperssed .......

Why sure it' photography.... :>))) You think Ansel Adams didn't have tricks :>)))

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Robin,

Good stuff :>)))))

20. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Thank you robin,

I have to agree with the fix it in PS. I don't ever get the look I want. I have always tried to get the "real" look in what I shoot. I will do some more playing with this. I was going for a darker coffee shop feel. However I believe you are right too ridged. As for the cup it is only a small espresso cup that is why the beans look so large. :wink:

Love the Steam idea I have go to try this (without burning up the table).

I am working with new strobes and am still learning how to feather with the soft boxes. I don't have a small spot yet however the small mirror looks like something I might need to get into the mix.

I knew it was not a bad shot, just not a good shot. I will do some more looking at what I want and try again. You only get better by doing and have people Critique. As for subjective how boring would the world be is we weren't?