From the Top of Rockefeller Center (large pics)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Nov 11, 2005.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    They recently reopened the observation deck at Rockefeller Center. It was worth the trip.
    All panoramas were handheld (35 MPH wind gusts:smile:),and stitched with Realviz Stitcher or PTgui.

30 Rockefeller Plaza
    "Deck chairs will no longer await visitors as if this
    were a front porch in the sky. The $3.50 admission charge is a thing
    of the past. (Try $14.)
    Those giant letters on the parapet now read "GE" instead of "RCA."
    And few New Yorkers will be able to look at the double void on the
    downtown horizon - just above the Grace Building, slightly to the right of
    Empire State - without remembering keenly what is not there.
    But when the blanket of Central Park reddens this fall, there will
    be a familiar vantage from which to take it in. The observation
    roof atop 30 Rockefeller Plaza is going to reopen after a $75 million
    revamping. Having closed as New York City's third highest
    observatory in May 1986, it will return as the second highest,
    through a circumstance that could not have been imagined then.
    From this spot in May 1936, New Yorkers witnessed the arrival of
    the dirigible Hindenburgafter its 60-hour voyage from Germany,
    at the outset of regular trans-Atlantic service that would
    end a year later with the Hindenburg's destruction. In
    July 1944, on a triumphal visit as the tide of World War II
    was changing, Gen. Charles de Gaulle surveyed New York f
    rom this spot, asking a French-speaking "Centerette"
    guide to point out Harlem, Central Park, Fifth Avenue
    and Coney Island
    Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company"

Top of the Rock 1 Nikkor 35-70 : 3 row 9 image panorama
    original.

Top of the Rock 2 Nikkor 35-70 : 5 image panorama
    original.

Top of the Rock 3 Nikkor 12-24
    View attachment 17963

Top of the Rock 4 Nikkor 12-24
    original.

Top of the Rock 5 Nikkor 180 : 2 row 8 image panorama
    View attachment 17965

Top of the Rock 6 Nikkor 12-24
    original.

Top of the Rock 7 Nikkor 12-24
    View attachment 17967

Top of the Rock 8 Nikkor 35-70 : 2 image panorama
    View attachment 17968

Top of the Rock 9 Nikkor 12-24
    View attachment 17969

Regards

RFC

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi robert-

great pans, as usual. i didn't know there was an observation deck on the rockefeller center, i'll make it a point to go there the next time i'm in nyc.

ricky

3. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Those are some great shots. Thanks for sharing!

4. They're all great but that first one is just incredible!!

5. WOW.... Again another picture post that made me say it outloud to myself.

#1 is simply my favorite. It captures so much and is so well composed. Looks like it could be on a poster enticing people to visit new york (I've not had New York on my "places to visit list" but shots like this make me want to change my mind in a hurry!.

Top of the Rock 3 has a certain beauty and power to it as well. Doesn't look like the sky "cooperated" from an exposure point of view compared to some of the others, but it is still breath taking.

5 is a great capture with the vibrant colors and the golf course and pond below. Really stands out as different from the others.

Really like the composition and the sky in #9 as well. When I look at all of them I simply sit back and wonder if I"m looking in a magazine. They are all that good. A real inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

6. The first one is killer very nicely done perfect time of the year to catch the colors of central park

7. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Robert,
    Just breathtaking capture.

Sometime I usie Panocube to convert 360 pano jpg picture into Mov Quictime .

8. RFC, That is a nice series you got there. I like them and had no idea that tourists were allowed to take pictures or even go on top of a building in NYC after what happened in 01.

Someday I hope to get to NY to do the same.

There are a few of them that you could crop the people out and that is what I would do but that is just what I would do. Other than that, fantastic scenes. Hard to tell that millions live there.

9. Wow I wish o could get Panoramas this perfect, all shots seemd to be exposed exactly the same and the stich is seamless!

What do you use for the stitch?

10. These are wonderful. I can't imagine the work that went into producing them!

My wife and I spend several days in NYC each year in April. We'll visit this spot next year, thanks to you.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  11. Robert:

These are just great. As I scrolled through your intro and the first image appeared, I felt like I was standing on the deck. I also did not know that Rockerfeller had a deck. Will have to check that out the next time I am in the city.

Gil

12. SPT

SPT Guest

Robert,

Just fantastic. Just goes to show that GREAT photography can happen anywhere in the world - if the right photgraphers present !

Thanks for making my night with a great show.

13. Wow these are awesome, and that first panorama is just magnificent--you really lucked out with the autumn colors in Central Park, it looks gorgeous. I will have to see if I can overcome my fear of long elevator rides and get up there (its actually not the height that I don't like, but elevators.) If only I could walk up :biggrin:

14. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Great images. Very impressive. Thank you for sharing..

15. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Robert,all those are outstanding. That first one is off the chart though!!! Excellent work!

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Incredible images, Robert. Words cannot accurately describe my first impression when I opened your thread. These images tell a story about N.Y. that many will never read...she is truly a beautiful Lady. You are such a talented shooter...I always look forward to your work!

17. David B

David B Guest

The pictures are fantastic. The colour of the trees in Central Park are stunning. The pictures have just reiterated my desire to visit NYC one day.

David

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi, Fks, Jln319, Kevin Scott, Shadow, Mike Mac, FishSauce, Catz, Andreasb, Pa, Gmaker1, SPT, Jczinn, SRA, PixelPete, TKO, Eng45ine, David B,

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I had a lot of fun on that visit.

FYI: The first image I was trying out PTgui for the first time. I have to say, that this piece of software (PTgui) deserves all the credit. It has a simpler interface than older versions and it is rather inexpensive. Check it out if you want at http://www.ptgui.com/

Regards and thanks again

RFC

PS...Janet, the elevator ride lasts only around a minute or so :), its worth the trip

19. Breathtaking pictures!

I would say, you had a perfect Day!

Makes me want to visit your City!!!