Front yard cardinal

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Well set up the feeders in the front yard the other day for the fall and winter birds. During the summer the only visitors were finches. Today I saw a Downy woodpecker, Red bellied woodpecker, grackles robins, finches and cardinals. I was only able to get a shot of a female cardinal, it was very dark and over cast.
    They are not the best but I have not shot for so long I had to Post something to curb the withdrawal symptoms
    These two were shot with the D2X and the 200-400VR with the SB800 in TTL/FP
    Female Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    Through this one in for the heck of it.... Hibiscus on my front porch
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike,
    she is really pretty...
    Yeah where ya been stranger :>)))

Now wait a minute.. Thats a Florida flower. Humm Ya been sneakin around ....

Very pretty.

3. ah yes the magical mike mac is back! Great stuff, glad you took the time.
    Dave

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

I'll say the same thing that you said to me. It ain't too dark!! :biggrin:

Both great shots. :smile:

5. Mike,

Glad you're back with those wonderful small birds shots. Great stuff as always.

6. Hi Mike,

Your front yard bird shots are always a treat for me to see and this one is not an exception. Love the flower as well, nice color and detail in this shot.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  7. Great Shots

I think there great! love the flower, it just jumps out, great saturation and nice and sharp, both worthy efforts, keep em coming :smile:

8. Simply beautiful Mike. Such sharp and vivid pictures. I really need to learn to use my flash for fill. I purchased the SB800 but have never used it. Can you share any secrets with it combined with the D2X?

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots, as always Mike.

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

really sharp and nicely saturated
    well done!!

11. Too dark? I prefer "nicely saturated"! :biggrin:

Nice pics.

12. Gale work has been brutal of late lots of systems expansion and integration so not much free time and what little I had was fro family time. Yes I cant imagine these flowers blooming much longer it is getting a bit if a nip in the air

13. Dave
    Thanks so much I hope to be able to post more frequently, as life comes back to order a little bit

14. Thnaks Frank, glad I had soemthign to post, got rid of the shakes of whitdrawl for a few days

15. Thnaks Dao I am hopign to have a large assortment of birdies visit my feeders this Fall and winter

16. Gordong
    Thanks so muuch it allows me to get out shoot and relax and still be close to home and not take up to much time

17. Thanks so much I was pleased with the flower shot and the 200-400 it worked out well

18. Jim
    I had the cam set to A mode and dialed in to aroudn f8 and had the flash set to TTL/FP and dialed in around -2/3 on the flash . Take a shot and reference the histogram and adjust to taste allows use of the long lens when with out the flash the shutter speed woudl cause bluriness. I of course shoot of a tripod when shootign these

19. Thanks so much Harry cant wait till thsi winter and come down and hang out for a while

20. Thanks so much for the kind words I appreciate it