Frosty morning at Brooks Lake.

Real Name
Bill
The Pinnacles

Frosty Pinnacles BW.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Quite an interesting image! Are those light rays radiating from the middle of the image? They give interest to the sky. There is also a hint of color in the sky.... intentional? I'm surprised at the vignetting in the upper corners since it was taken at 51mm.

I'm surprised at the vignetting in the upper corners since it was taken at 51mm.

That could of course be the result of post-processing and/or darker areas in the sky coincidentally appearing at those corners. I actually think either of those two reasons caused it, as I believe a lens would have produced a vignette in all four corners, not just the upper two corners.

I'm not a gear-head, so I don't understand what the focal length has to do with the likelihood of producing a vignette unless a filter or makeshift lens hood gets in the way when using a shorter focal length. Are there other contributing factors?

Real Name
Bill
Quite an interesting image! Are those light rays radiating from the middle of the image? They give interest to the sky. There is also a hint of color in the sky.... intentional? I'm surprised at the vignetting in the upper corners since it was taken at 51mm.
The sun comes up from behind the Pinnacles and it hadn't gotten high enough yet. The rays were hitting the fog rising off the lake.
I need to work on the vignettes.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The sun comes up from behind the Pinnacles and it hadn't gotten high enough yet. The rays were hitting the fog rising off the lake.
I need to work on the vignettes.
Catching the sun's ray before it cleared the horizon was a good thing! LOL! The vignettes just seems a bit "strong" and abrupt to me. Looking at the image now, I don't see the colorizations I thought I saw earlier this morning. Maybe I had "sleepy" eyes! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

I'm not a gear-head, so I don't understand what the focal length has to do with the likelihood of producing a vignette unless a filter or makeshift lens hood gets in the way when using a shorter focal length. Are there other contributing factors?
There are many types of vignetting and many possible causes of vignetting. I'm not a gear head either, but my experience is that wide and super wide lenses can be more prone to vignetting. This quote " when light travels through any lens, light rays at the periphery of the lens travel longer than in the center. This is especially noticeable on wide angle and super wide angle lenses. " is from THIS article on vignetting.

And this comment " Telephoto lenses, being above a certain focal length, are far less prone to natural vignetting than their wide angle counterparts. " is from this article.

Latest threads

Top Bottom