Frustrating....

After a year or two of wanting to buy the 70-200 but kept putting it off due to rumors of an upgrade.. I finally bought it. I've used it twice and the quality is awesome.. But the vignetting on the D700 is a bit annoying. Of course after using it twice they release the newer model thats supposedly fixed the problem. Ugh... What to do....

I shoot mostly outdoor sports and end up shooting at the wider end of the lens a lot.. Thats where I was getting it real bad

I assume they won't be available to rent anytime soon and I have a lot of events coming up from now till the end of the year :(

Return it and get an 80-200 AF-S used to hold you over in the meantime, or even the AF-D. Less vignetting on these, and a whole lot less money. Honestly if you shoot with the 80-200 AF-S non-VR version doing sports, I doubt you'd ever want to upgrade because it's not like you'll really need VR anyways, and it's a whole lot cheaper.

I think if I were in your shoes and if I were really bugged by the vignetting of the lens on the D700, I would sell the lens now, when the new lens is still unavailable and highly priced. At least this way you will be able to get the maximum return. If you wait and the new lens can be had at a lower price - - - not so good
Yea, that's what I'm thinking. I just have to be sure I have the new one on the way before I can ship the old one out.. Can't go to an event without it :smile:

Can't you just use your D300 with the 70-200 for the events when you need the full 200 FL? Then get the new 70-200VR II when it's available.

Can't you just use your D300 with the 70-200 for the events when you need the full 200 FL? Then get the new 70-200VR II when it's available.
I actually don't like using my 70-200 on DX. FL range is awkward. Too long at the wide end and way too long at the long end. It's right at home on my F100 though, and that's actually the body I use it on >90% of the time. I actually have a bunch of film to get developed from that F100 + 70-200VR combo. :smile: OP was saying he's already at the wide end on a D700 for sports shots, so a D300 would make that issue a lot worse.

I really don't no what to tell you. fortunately the price on the new one if very high and I would think that there must be more than one DX user that would love to have your lens.

I think if I were in your shoes and if I were really bugged by the vignetting of the lens on the D700, I would sell the lens now, when the new lens is still unavailable and highly priced. At least this way you will be able to get the maximum return. If you wait and the new lens can be had at a lower price - - - not so good
My reasoning exactly. I just sold my VR.I version for $150 less than I paid for it brand new over a year ago. Not too expensive for 18 months of rental is it now? Awaiting new VR.II version with fingers crossed that it's better than the original (and that the Nov. release date is somewhat indicative of when I'll receive the new one - yes a gamble I know)

The vignetting never bothered me, I sold mine 2 weeks before they announced the new one, essentially I sold it because I was no longer using it but as soon as the new one comes out - I may just pick one up for travel (I had stop using the 70-200 since I got the 200/2 but for travels the 200/2 is a pig iron and a half to lug around all day...)

I got a second hand 70-200 about two years ago, and used it a l...lot. This is a must have lens for sports shooting, and I placed an order for the new version three weeks ago. After I receive the new lens, I may play a while and sell the old one.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom