1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Frustrating....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by nags, Aug 18, 2009.

1. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    After a year or two of wanting to buy the 70-200 but kept putting it off due to rumors of an upgrade.. I finally bought it. I've used it twice and the quality is awesome.. But the vignetting on the D700 is a bit annoying. Of course after using it twice they release the newer model thats supposedly fixed the problem. Ugh... What to do....

2. Keep it for a while, then decide if you want to upgrade it. If you shoot portrait, it should not be a big problem.

3. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    I shoot mostly outdoor sports and end up shooting at the wider end of the lens a lot.. Thats where I was getting it real bad

4. rent/test the new one to see if, for you, the upgrade is worth it :wink:

5. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    I assume they won't be available to rent anytime soon and I have a lot of events coming up from now till the end of the year :( 

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Return it and get an 80-200 AF-S used to hold you over in the meantime, or even the AF-D. Less vignetting on these, and a whole lot less money. Honestly if you shoot with the 80-200 AF-S non-VR version doing sports, I doubt you'd ever want to upgrade because it's not like you'll really need VR anyways, and it's a whole lot cheaper.

7. nags

nags

Jan 30, 2008
    S. Florida
    Yea, that's what I'm thinking. I just have to be sure I have the new one on the way before I can ship the old one out.. Can't go to an event without it :smile:

8. Plumbergeek

Plumbergeek

Sep 1, 2008
    SW Georgia
    Can't you just use your D300 with the 70-200 for the events when you need the full 200 FL? Then get the new 70-200VR II when it's available.

9. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I actually don't like using my 70-200 on DX. FL range is awkward. Too long at the wide end and way too long at the long end. It's right at home on my F100 though, and that's actually the body I use it on >90% of the time. I actually have a bunch of film to get developed from that F100 + 70-200VR combo. :smile: OP was saying he's already at the wide end on a D700 for sports shots, so a D300 would make that issue a lot worse.

10. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    My reasoning exactly. I just sold my VR.I version for $150 less than I paid for it brand new over a year ago. Not too expensive for 18 months of rental is it now? Awaiting new VR.II version with fingers crossed that it's better than the original (and that the Nov. release date is somewhat indicative of when I'll receive the new one - yes a gamble I know)

11. The vignetting never bothered me, I sold mine 2 weeks before they announced the new one, essentially I sold it because I was no longer using it but as soon as the new one comes out - I may just pick one up for travel (I had stop using the 70-200 since I got the 200/2 but for travels the 200/2 is a pig iron and a half to lug around all day...)

12. chshaojin

chshaojin

Jan 27, 2009
    QA
    I got a second hand 70-200 about two years ago, and used it a l...lot. This is a must have lens for sports shooting, and I placed an order for the new version three weeks ago. After I receive the new lens, I may play a while and sell the old one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.