Frustration downloading CF Card

New 27" iMac with all options

Same thing would occasionally come up with old mac also.

I remove the card from the camera and place in card reader, generic one. I don`t care about fast. Multi slot one for all card types.

I connect to the computer thru a powered hub, same as I did before. It seems to start working as pictures display in Adobe photodownloader, then a message pops up the device was removed improperly and OSX can not repair the device. Go to finder , disconnect device then remove it.. Well I usually can not because the reader or D700 camera are not showing as being connected. So there is not a real option to disconnect before removal.

I have two options that work. Download from camera as Nikon says in the book or use a reader that goes directly into computer USB port. Using a reader with usb cord and no hub, not even a powered one that previously worked, I get the same error message. This all worked with the old computer, but I usually just unplugged it because there was no option to do it properly and the situation would straighten itself out. After numerous reformats in camera and trying Nikon transfer and photodownloader, I can not get this repaired.

I swapped cards with a D200, reformatted in the respective cameras, and still can not download from either cards used in either camera except from camera direct or the reader with built in USB connector.

So how do I disconnect when it is not showing connected and what if anything can I do to to use the corded card reader?? Can I repair the cards I have?

Get a dedicated card reader Ron!! It sounds like you may have a cheap multi-task one and if your images are valuable to you do get a dedicated one. Cheap readers and cables are a constant source of corruption and trouble.

I moved the cable and reader to the old computer. Works fine.
So how could that be the problem?

I was able to eject it properly and took the cable and reader back to new machine and it worked.

silent gremlins i guess.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom