Frustrations with nature

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
What is frustrating, is the fact it is nature, and with nature you never ever know. I mean, every day is different. Sometimes completely different!

Like Jason, I have been hunting that painted bunting. We both were there together one day, nothing close, huge crops, bright sun, hard to take photos,

Jason went back a few days ago, I am sure you saw his near perfect results. I went today.

We were in the same area, sat in the same spots, spent the same amount of time, both drove 4 hours total and several hundred miles, We both have done this twice,

You see his pics, they are near full frame of the painted bunting, me, I end up with a near full frame juvy new hatch brown thrush, a mocking bird, and long range 75% crop shots of the bunting. I watched the Male for nearly a solid 5 hours, always in my sight, I traveled with it as it moved hundreds of yards, watched and waited, and waited and waited for a close up shots like my buddy Jason.

All I got was gigs of fence shots and 1 minute or so of high altitude sky shots in a tree. Nothing even remotely close, all 75% crops with my 500VR with 1.4 attached. I was pretty frustrated, especially since the bird was lazy, never went for bugs, and never was on or near the ground or even eye level at all during the 5 hours I watched it, 5:45am till 10:45. that makes 8-9 hours and 8 hours of driving time to get my drivel over two trips.

Anyway, why post this, because even though I wasn't successful because of the nature of nature, I still had fun, I did get some shots which I will share in a moment, and it isn't always about the lenses we use, it is about being there ready with the skill and when the stuff hits the fan (in a good way) you are ready.

D300, 500Vr with 1.4 TC, handheld, 400 ISO, f7.1 shutter between 1/100-1/400 depending on light and metering.

the juvy Brown Thrush:
p284966752-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p335574726-4.jpg

the mocking bird shots, the first one was so close only the head is in focus.

p532139788-4.jpg

p104269302-4.jpg

If only the painted bunting would have been that close like those above!

just to give you an idea on my bunting success, this is what I saw in the view finder, and remember this is with the 500VR and the 1.4 TC and a DX D300 camera.

p442800714-4.jpg

some fence crops from the hundreds I have, that feller went from fence, to fence to fence over a several hundred yard travel pattern, only went to a tree once during my 5 hours where I could get a shot. I had to use + 1.7 Ev on the camera to get the bird exposed correctly. why so many fences, heck if I know, why so far away from where we could get access. It's Nature!

p52749323-5.jpg

p225959847-5.jpg

and a few from the one time he went to a tall tree (even further away than the fence) of course he couldn't be nice and low with great backgrounds like he was two days earlier. :mad:

p279087812-5.jpg

some preening shots are next. Big crops, that is all he did-sing and preen, and frustrate me! for 5 hours today. :wink:

p123442570-5.jpg

p205825756-5.jpg

now, am I going to drive halfway across the state again and spend another $40 in gas and an entire day for a tiny tiny bird, ........... maybe..........

All I have to do is look at Jason's pics again.......:biggrin: and see what being close and ready and skilled will do for you. I was ready, I am skilled, need to get that close bit. Anyone know how to train a painted bunting? :smile:

I know what you mean, Wade. But I take it as part of the wildlife photography challenge. Even when I returned home with no picture worth, I was outdoor enjoying fresh air and nature.

Nice set of pictures. Love the first and the last ones.

If we had them Painted Bunting's here , I would be suffering with you ... would be chasing them also . Do they respond to a call to get them in close ??? Close is the key to getting these little guys.

Somtimes we get what we get. I wish you had better luck but you DID see and photograph a very rare bird for this part of Missouri. When I first told you about this little bird I knew it might be hit or miss.

GLad your images improved from the day we were there. I thought about this last night and I remembered a few things that I did that perhaps you did not.

I was sipping SunDrop soda and muncing on BBQ corn nuts (bad habit when I am taking images). NO I did not bait the bird with the Corn nuts. Honestly Wade, I just got lucky. Good images...really like the close ups of the other birds. Isn't this fun...

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Nicely done Wade.

Maybe Jason uses a more effective brand of deodorant? :biggrin:

Ok, since you are way older than me, and a more onerous type of fellow ( M. is a saint to put up with you) I will let that one pass me by without a substantial repartee.
:wink:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
love your painted bunting captures! I had a family of them living near me last year but have yet to see them this year, they are such beautiful birds!

Yes, loved seeing the bird, but I am a spoiled sort, I want closer.....

Well done Wade, worth it for sure. Love the Bunting.

Thanks Louis

I know what you mean Wade. Especially in the winter I often drive to wherever and then don't take a single shot.

Yep, thanks Allan

I know what you mean, Wade. But I take it as part of the wildlife photography challenge. Even when I returned home with no picture worth, I was outdoor enjoying fresh air and nature.

Nice set of pictures. Love the first and the last ones.

Thanks

If we had them Painted Bunting's here , I would be suffering with you ... would be chasing them also . Do they respond to a call to get them in close ??? Close is the key to getting these little guys.

someone has tried a call, no diff.

Story of my photography life... (sigh)

really really long sigh.......

Wade. I know exactly what you mean. Earlier this past spring I thought I saw my last male Yellow-rumped warbler at my pond. The bird landed on a branch and I did not take his picture because I have hundreds and the background was way too dark for a good photo. The bird flew away when I thought to myself that it was not a Yellow-rumped warbler but it was a Cerulean warbler instead. The bird return and when I tried to get a shot of it my camera would not focus on it. The bird flew away again and never return. I was upset especially since this was the first time I have seen this bird in my yard. Another time I saw a male Yellow warbler and it was on top of a tree singing but there were too many branches in the way and my tripod was set down low toward the ground and I had no time to adjust it to get the Yellow warbler.

I have a way around all this in my yard now so when I get the fall migrating birds I will be ready! I hope that this fall will be as wonderful as it was last year. I had over 35 species of warblers, Tanagers, Thrushes and Vireos!

Great pictures even though you may not have gotten what you wanted. Please keep trying.

Great read and wonderful shots!

I'd be pleased as punch with those Painted Bunting shots. OK, your subject didn't cooperate quite as much as Jason's did, but come on! Think of the fun you had and the great story to share!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Oh my goodness! I've never seen a painted bunting. I didn't even know such a beautiful bird existed in the U.S. Well done!

Thanks, I guess I forget that folks on the West coast don't see these birds unless they travel a touch.

but it was a Cerulean warbler instead. The bird return and when I tried to get a shot of it my camera would not focus on it. The bird flew away again and never return. I was upset especially since this was the first time I have seen this bird in my yard. m

Completely understand and thanks for your kind words.

That is some beautiful shots of the painted bunting. Nice!

Thanks

Great read and wonderful shots!

I'd be pleased as punch with those Painted Bunting shots. OK, your subject didn't cooperate quite as much as Jason's did, but come on! Think of the fun you had and the great story to share!

Heck, I have to have something to complain about once in a while,,.... right? :biggrin:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I know what you mean Wade but that is what makes this so fun. You live for the days that all goes right.

That is so right, I can remember those days so well. And I will also remember this day for the opposite reason. :wink:

Thanks James.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom