Ft. DeSoto with some friends

Got out for the sunrise at the North beach lagoon.

1. The clear, early morning light was beautiful
31018-1-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. It's always a great place for an amateur like me. You don't have to worry about backgrounds and the birds are very cooperative.
31018-4-XL.jpg

3. More important than the birding was my opportunity to finally meet Randy. He's been a photographic mentor for me here on the Cafe for years. Always there with good advice and he elevated my soccer photography over the years. Here's Randy hard at work.
31018-5-XL.jpg

4. A bonus was a chance to meet another long-time Cafe friend, Allan. He packs some serious glass!
31018-6-XL.jpg

5. Randy was proud of me when I finally got down in the water.
31018-10-XL.jpg

6. My favorite from the day.
31018-7-XL.jpg

Real Name
Tony Saya
Nice Mitch like many of us I have never seen pictures of Randy or Allan two of the Cafe's finest

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Nice light for sure, Mitchell! That beautiful golden color is perfect.

Nice that you got to meet Randy and Allan. They do some great work and as you mentioned, share tips freely with everyone here. I've only met Randy (at the Conowingo Dam) and he's a good guy. As you can see, also a person who know what to wear for wildlife shooting!

Nice light for sure, Mitchell! That beautiful golden color is perfect.

Nice that you got to meet Randy and Allan. They do some great work and as you mentioned, share tips freely with everyone here. I've only met Randy (at the Conowingo Dam) and he's a good guy. As you can see, also a person who know what to wear for wildlife shooting!

Randy was definitely dressed for comfort. Allan was so well camouflaged that I barely saw him! Great guys who obviously know what they are doing.

Real Name
Randy
I have the camera all set up and am wondering why it isn't taking any pictures.

and I was standing with my hands in my pockets trying the same with my camera, isn't that what Auto Focus and Auto ISO are supposed to do:)

• Funny
Reactions: McQ
Great set Mitch - you really made some nice images there. Sure looks like you guys had some fun, along with some cooperative avian friends. 5 is nice with the grassy bg and 6 is spectacular!

I'm going to be down that way at the end of the month and spend a few days there and the surrounding area.

Real Name
Randy
I love your birds, Mitch! And Randy is in such a classic pose. I'm trying to read Allan's mind! I have to say I'm envious of you guys getting to shoot together. Great experience.
Fred and I are back in 2 weeks if you'd like to meet up and shoot

Proof once again that they'll let anyone in Ft. Desoto. Truth is, while the boys were out in the lagoon using up film, I was in the parking lot breaking into their cars. Nice Marbled Godwit and Reddish Egret to start with. I see a few more Godwits in your backgrounds. Looks like a nice, full tide, morning at the Fort.

• Funny
Reactions: McQ
Nice to see some Nikon Cafe members meeting up - the photos from the session are very good which shows the skill of the people taking the pictures.

Great set and it’s nice to see Cafe members meeting in the field.

So, what’s the best way to clean those tripods after they’ve been submerged in salt water? Is rinsing it with fresh water sufficient or is it necessary to disassemble the tripod?

Glenn

Great set and it’s nice to see Cafe members meeting in the field.

So, what’s the best way to clean those tripods after they’ve been submerged in salt water? Is rinsing it with fresh water sufficient or is it necessary to disassemble the tripod?

Glenn
I don"t know the best way - I just rinse with fresh water and keep trhe legs extended till they dry.

Latest threads

Top Bottom