FT1 adapter question

My pocket camera has died and I am looking at a Nikon J1 to replace it since the prices have come way down on them. I have a compatability question about the FT1 adapter. From what I have read all my lenses are compatible with the camera with the exception of my Tokina 12-24 F4 lense. This lense is a DX lense and am I correct that it won't work with the camera?
Thanks for any help.

Chris

Just because it's a DX lens has no bearing on it. It needs to be chipped and either a manual or electronic aperture and not a mechanical aperture. I've been hit and miss on the capability.

My understanging is your "D" lenses will meter but not focus and cannot set the aperture.

W

Wileec

DX lenses work just fine. The main requirement is they need their own motor. That's AF-S in Nikon land. Not sure how third party lenses fair - haven't tried any with my V1 + FT1, but I'd guess if it was relatively current and had a built-in motor, it would work like a Nikon would - with all the limitations an AF-S lens has, when connected to the FT-1.

Folks, I have a question. It's unclear to me whether the EXIF data should report a focal length that's 2.7x the FL of the lens? I just noticed that NIKON Capture NX2 shows the focal length of an image I took with a 300mm f/4 lens as 300mm. Should it not be 810mm?

fks

Focal length is a physical property. You can mount a 30mm lens on any body (CX, DX, FX), and it will remain a 30mm lens. EXIF information will not change when you use the FT-1 as the focal length is fixed.

The multiplier/crop factor of the sensor is usually based on 35mm/FX as the point of reference (ie 1x). This is also know as the effective or equivalent focal length. People that are used to other film sizes as their point of reference will have different multipliers.

Folks, I have a question. It's unclear to me whether the EXIF data should report a focal length that's 2.7x the FL of the lens? I just noticed that NIKON Capture NX2 shows the focal length of an image I took with a 300mm f/4 lens as 300mm. Should it not be 810mm?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom