FT1 & Sigma Lenses?

Hi, I'm about to purchase a V1 after being continually impressed by the images you folks post on the forum. I have 2 trips coming up this winter to the far east and for once will be leaving the big lenses at home. I would like some capability to take wildlife shots so will be purchasing a FT1 as well as a lens in the 70-200/300 range. Can anyone tell me if the V1/ FT1 combination would af with the latest sigma 70-200 f2.8 os ( I would love the nikon version but I've spent too much on holidays!) alternatively I may pick up a 70-300 vr, my current lense in this focal length is an old afd which I realise wont af using the FT1. Thanks Mark

There is no guarantee that the Sigma lens will autofocus on the FT1. According to Nikon any ASF lens will work. I'd go with the 70-300 vr to play it safe.

Do you really need the reach the 70-200/300 provides or is the Nikkor 1 30-110 not enough? It saves a lot of weight and also is a lot better for the battery. I've shot my V1 with the FT1/70-200VR combo and it seriously reduced the number of shots I could get from the V1.

I don't have the 30-110 but it certainly is on the list, combined with the new close-up filter. Together with the 10-30 this will be a proper lightweight kit for short walks.

Hi Kees, I normally take my 500mm f4 and converters as I like to photograph birds and wildlife. That would be really problematic on my next two trips as they are multi centre holidays and were on and off internal flights. I also can't take the tripod and gimbal head so hence the reason I'm exploring alternative options. I need to spend the next 3 months getting to grips with the v1 and stop reaching for my D700 all the time. I like the idea of the 30-110 and its probable that I'll elect to buy that with the v1 and 10-30 next week. Some of the images of birds that Jerry and others post on here show that it is possible to take fantastic bird and wildlife images and it's that I'm aspiring to, I just have a big gap in my dslr lens collection at the minute around the 70-200/300 range which would give me at least a fighting chance when photographing birds with the v1. I have a couple of batteries for my D7000 that I can utilise and thanks for highlighting the battery drain as an issue, forewarned is forearmed!

Chuck I also think you've a good point re the 70-300vr plus it's half the price of the sigma and cash is an issue at the moment!

Hi mine dose with the sigma 70/200 os not mine the 50/500 none os, 14mm f2.8 but I ended up getting a 55/200 f4-5.6 vr S/H for £98 to use with the 10-30 30-110 it makes a nice little kit you could get the 55/300 vr nikkor too.

Phil.

JPS

All I can say is that I bought a Tamron SP 70-300 VC (their own anti-vibration system), specialy for using on my J1 and V1 ! It worked allright for a few months, until I installed the latest camera and FT-1 firmwares (allowing AF-C with the FT-1 adapter).....

After installing the new firmwares, both cameras REFUSED TO RECOGNIZE the Tamron ! I can't even use it in "normal" AF-A ! When I screw the lens on, I get an error message saying "Check lens ! Picture can only be taken when a lens is attached", followed by another error message "Lens error ! Contact a Nikon-authorized service center" !!!

Although my other nikon lenses work OK in AF-C, now the Tamron is just useless..... I wrote to Tamron HQ more than a month ago, (to which they quickly responded, saying they would check), but since then... nothing, despite having sent them two new emails, enquiring for some news !

I hope Sigma lenses are allready capable to work in AF-C, but I wouldn't bet on that, so I decided that, from now on, I will only buy Nikon lenses for Nikon bodies !

:frown:
J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPS

Do you really need the reach the 70-200/300 provides or is the Nikkor 1 30-110 not enough? It saves a lot of weight and also is a lot better for the battery. I've shot my V1 with the FT1/70-200VR combo and it seriously reduced the number of shots I could get from the V1.

I don't have the 30-110 but it certainly is on the list, combined with the new close-up filter. Together with the 10-30 this will be a proper lightweight kit for short walks.
Kees, don't forget that, using the long end of the 70-300 on the Nikon 1 give you a nice 810mm. Focal lenght ! For those shooting animals, for exemple, this is invaluable !

Think if one screw a 600mm f/4 VR plus a TC20-E on the Nikon 1..... One get an excellent 3240mm lens :eek: !!!

:wink:
J-P.

fks

Phil, is your firmware on the FT-1 the latest version? I have the non-OS 50-500mm, and it works on the old firmware. I'm hesitant to upgrade the firmware in case the lens stops working.

Hi mine dose with the sigma 70/200 os not mine the 50/500 none os

Phil.

Kees, don't forget that, using the long end of the 70-300 on the Nikon 1 give you a nice 810mm. Focal lenght ! For those shooting animals, for exemple, this is invaluable !

Think if one screw a 600mm f/4 VR plus a TC20-E on the Nikon 1..... One get an excellent 3240mm lens :eek: !!!

:wink:
J-P.
Hmm, for me to reduce motion blur I need to fill up on lots of alcohol as that seems to steady my hands :biggrin:

I've used the V1 + FT1 + 70-200VR + 1.7TC but I could't get any decent shots with it when not using a tripod. I haven't tested the 70-300VR but I guess the same will apply.

Thanks Phil & J P, I think it looks like a Nikon 70-300 is going to be the obvious choice, I want to be able to use it on my D700 so a dx lens would be false economy. I'm presuming the FT1 will take a plate on the bottom, not intending taking a tripod but my well travelled monopod will be in the case!

Thanks Phil & J P, I think it looks like a Nikon 70-300 is going to be the obvious choice, I want to be able to use it on my D700 so a dx lens would be false economy. I'm presuming the FT1 will take a plate on the bottom, not intending taking a tripod but my well travelled monopod will be in the case!
Hi Mark,

The 70-300 VR is a great choice to use with the V1/FT-1! I have no problem handholding that combo. The shot below was taken before the latest firmware update, so no AF-C yet... much better now with AF-C :smile:

810mm effective, f/7.1, 1/400, ISO 200, VR on, cropped to about 6 MP:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers

Mike

Mike, many thanks for taking the time to post the image, I think that's made my mind up to go with the outfit you've obviously used to such great effect. I'll be more than pleased with images of that standard. I can't imagine a better combination for weight, focal length and price to be honest, Mrs G will be we'll chuffed that I don't use her hand luggage allowance as well. Chuck I'll check out the RRS plate, thanks, Mark
PS Didn't realise you got snow like that in Santa Barbara, we have plenty here in blighty but sadly nothing as respondent as the cardinals!

You're welcome, Mark - glad I could help!

The cardinal shot was taken last winter at my in-laws' in Ohio - so no, we don't have a new ice age here in Santa Barbara, still nice and sunny in California :)

No cardinals on the west coast, either. Wish we had them here, they're quite photogenic!

I've also recently tried the V1 with the new 80-400 VR - that's also a pretty decent combo at 1080mm effective FL.... Not done processing the latest shots yet, but my first impression is pretty good. Much heavier lens for traveling, though - and much more expensive.

Cheers

Mike

The 80-400 is on the wish list for the future Mike, I put my hand in my pocket for a 500f4 VR in November and my slush fund hasn't recovered yet!

The 80-400 is on the wish list for the future Mike, I put my hand in my pocket for a 500f4 VR in November and my slush fund hasn't recovered yet!
That's a deep hole in anyone's pocket :) I've done it the other way round - 80-400 first, 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8 next - but not anytime soon... Good old 300 f/2.8 needs to last for a while :)

Mike

Just a quick update folks, now the proud owner of a V1 & FT1, superb initial results with the 70-300VR. It's a no go with my Sigma 120-300 os though, the camera thinks there's no lens attached! Glad I didn't plump for a siggy 70-200 now, cheers Mark

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom