FTZ adapter

View attachment 1632273
Hello, everyone. 60 years with Nikon and Just Bought the Z7 Today. I have a fortune in Legacy Lenses Im gonna use. wrote 3 Books,doing stock since the Mid 60's,client work and Gallery shows. I took 3 Months and actually tested everything Out there. Im In Love again. Quick Introduction....I've done nat Geo covers,Done workshops and lectures from Florida to Hawaii On commercial Photography. I also Paint and do shows . My agent of 30 Years Puts My work in TV and films as set decoration. Very few realize every show you see with a interior shot theres artwork and It's rented. I also work with Interior decorators that do Hotel Hallways in Dubai,Mumbai and china.
I Composed and Produced the Music for 491 TV shows,37 Feature films and 49 Record Albums. Quit school at 15 and that was it. At 76 I work everyday from doing a Album cover to Teaching on weekends to gallery shows to clients Like maytag,seagrams,Hadron Collider in Cern. etc.
I teach Studio Work at my studio In Beverly Hills for the past 11 years. Any questions?....let me know. Glad to see another forum.View attachment 1632270
Laurin, that sounds like a great career and very fulfilling. I too just got a Z7 about 1.5 weeks ago and joined the Cafe today. I bought my first DSLR ~2 years ago so I am still new to all the decision making required to take a good picture. Looking forward to learning from everyone's experience and feedback.

View attachment 1632273
Hello, everyone. 60 years with Nikon and Just Bought the Z7 Today. I have a fortune in Legacy Lenses Im gonna use. wrote 3 Books,doing stock since the Mid 60's,client work and Gallery shows. I took 3 Months and actually tested everything Out there. Im In Love again. Quick Introduction....I've done nat Geo covers,Done workshops and lectures from Florida to Hawaii On commercial Photography. I also Paint and do shows . My agent of 30 Years Puts My work in TV and films as set decoration. Very few realize every show you see with a interior shot theres artwork and It's rented. I also work with Interior decorators that do Hotel Hallways in Dubai,Mumbai and china.
I Composed and Produced the Music for 491 TV shows,37 Feature films and 49 Record Albums. Quit school at 15 and that was it. At 76 I work everyday from doing a Album cover to Teaching on weekends to gallery shows to clients Like maytag,seagrams,Hadron Collider in Cern. etc.
I teach Studio Work at my studio In Beverly Hills for the past 11 years. Any questions?....let me know. Glad to see another forum.View attachment 1632270
Welcome to the cafe!! Can't wait to learn from you!!

I just traded my D5600 in for the Z7. The deal from Nikon was too good to pass up. My go-to lens on the D5600 was the 18-300. I took it everywhere with me.
Welcome. I have been using Nikon gear for years, but last year I bought a D5600 because of some problems with my back. I wanted a smaller camera to carry around on a vacation we had coming up. I've actually been very impressed and have loved that little camera. I can see myself getting a mirrorless Nikon in the future and look forward to hearing about your experiences with it.

Real Name
David
I like the direction Nikon seems to be going with the 24-70 and 14-30 MUCH more than Canon and their f/1.2 primes and f/2 24-70. As @Pa notes the Z6 + FTZ is about the same weight as the D750. But it opens up the rest of the Nikon lineup of bigger and heavier lenses. But pair the Z6 with either (or both) the 24-70 f/4 or 14-30 f/4 and you have a nice smaller and lighter kit.

I do hope they add some form of telephoto in a smaller and light form factor to complete the set.

I like the direction Nikon seems to be going with the 24-70 and 14-30 MUCH more than Canon and their f/1.2 primes and f/2 24-70. As @Pa notes the Z6 + FTZ is about the same weight as the D750. But it opens up the rest of the Nikon lineup of bigger and heavier lenses. But pair the Z6 with either (or both) the 24-70 f/4 or 14-30 f/4 and you have a nice smaller and lighter kit.

I do hope they add some form of telephoto in a smaller and light form factor to complete the set.
Not sure why Nikon didn't also get a new 70-200/4 S lens made? I'm wondering if the F mount version didn't sell as well? That would make a nice f/4 trifecta with the 14-30 and 24-70.

Real Name
David
Not sure why Nikon didn't also get a new 70-200/4 S lens made? I'm wondering if the F mount version didn't sell as well? That would make a nice f/4 trifecta with the 14-30 and 24-70.
Maybe but I find it hard to believe it didn't sell. Otherwise how would you explain:
  • Canon still selling two versions (with and without IS)
  • Tamron and Tokina both offer versions
  • Sony and Panasonic have them for their mirrorless systems
And that doesn't even begin to take into account all the groups like our own Cafe that LOVE the f/4.

Real Name
Ian
I like the direction Nikon seems to be going with the 24-70 and 14-30 MUCH more than Canon and their f/1.2 primes and f/2 24-70.
I agree 100%. Given how incredible the Z6's ISO performance is, I'll gladly give up a stop of light in exchange for a lighter, more compact FF kit.

I'm very strongly considering picking up a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 S and the 85mm f/1.8 S when it comes out. I would have no interest in Canon's $2,300 50mm f/1.2 L and $???? 85mm f/1.2 L. Canon is up to their typical behavior though: Release sub-par cameras and expensive, excellent glass, and lock users in to the system.

That's an encouraging comparison. Of course we're comparing an f/2.8 lens with an f/4.
I have a D810 and Z6 - I think there is a slight difference in weight/size, but not enough to notice. I bought the Z6 with FTZ to test it out heavily using my existing Nikon lenses and my conclusion is that yes it works great with the FTZ adaptor, but to really gain the weight advantage, Z lenses must be the way to go as the FTZ plus 24-70 f2.8 is not significantly smaller/lighter than the D810 with same. I will wait for further Z lenses probably before taking it travelling.

It is ironic that the reason people were hesitating to move to mirrorless, that is, an artificial, tiny TV screen of the EVF, as opposed to a clear, real image of the glass prism, is also the very reason the mirrorless shines with an unparalleled benefit over the DSLR. The size and weight advantage, though wonderful, is really collateral.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom