Fuji Finepix F31 Images

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Mike Z, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    I attended a combination art fair and garden walk today in Chicago. Rather than carry my Nikon equipment, I went light with my Fuji Finepix F31. I continue to be amazed at the quality of images this little camera produces:

View attachment 100094

View attachment 100095

Although the image quality is very high, the camera does not have a great zoom range and some cropping was necessary.

Mike

2. Sweet :) I'm about to order mine... cropping is fine just like DSLRs since the IQ is so high anyways!

Thanks for sharing

3. I looked at the F31 long and hard but since I wanted to stay with the SD cards (I have a D50 also) I think I'm going to pickup a F40 this week...

4. The color looks great on these pics.

Any odd behavior or things that don't work well? I'm considering one myself.

Regards
    JohnG

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    John,
    Several points that are slight irritants to me. After having the use of a broad range of focal lengths, the limited zoom is an irritant. Also at the wide end of the zoom, which isn't really very wide, I've had prospective distortion which I've had to correct.

There is also some purple fringing on images contrasting with a bright sky. I had an f30, which was lost and now replaced with the f31. The f31 seems to have addressed this problem, but not completely eliminated it. I use a downloaded action which eliminates most of the purple fringing with a mouse click.

Also, when I first bring an image into PS it comes in at the resolution of 72 ppi. On the PS ruler that shows as 30" x 40". While it doesn't affect print quality, it's always slightly jarring to me to see an image that size. I've created an action to change the image resolution to 300 ppi with a single click, and that brings the image size down to 7 1/4 x 9 1/2.

These are minor points when I consider the great image quality and the fact that the images have the "Nikon look" that I'm used to. I also have an older Canon P&S and I can tell those images from their color immediately.

Hope this helps.

Mike

6. I bought the f31 last week mainly because of the reviews mentioning image quality and high iso performance which is closer to a dslr than it is to other compacts . A good pocket camera , lens could be wider but you can't have everything I suppose .

7. I too wish it were a little wider, and I wish it had less purple fringing and an SD card. I just bought one today and took my first shots with it on the walk home. I like using this for "blind" hip street shooting a la lomography. It is a lovely little companion to my F3. :biggrin:

DSCF0159.
    DSCF0104.
    DSCF0091.
    DSCF0086.
    DSCF0117.