Fuji Finepix X100 Thread

With the camera hitting stores in Europe/Japan I thought it was time we had a dedicated thread. I pre-ordered one on Amazon about a month back, so I'm hoping to have it in my hands by the end of the month :)

Anyone get their hands on one yet?

Sold out everywhere I know of in Japan.

It looks like Nikon may announce it's mirrorless entry in April or thereabouts, so I'm going to see what they come up with before considering the X100. I figure the X100 should be easily available by then.

Looks like it may be a bit longer before it spends any time on shelves. Fuji issued a statement in the past couple days regarding delays.

All I know is that if and when I can get my hands on enough cash to pick one of these up, I fully intend to. My only hope is that my patience (ie having to save!) pays off and that the real (long term) street price ends up around $900. I can already imagine over the next few weeks we see these things on eBay going for silly money!

I'm waiting for a digital Contax G2. Maybe the Fuji X200?

peter

Yeah, I keep weighing the tradeoffs between a fixed lens and seeing what comes next with options. Right now, though, I have absolutely no intention of this type camera replacing my normal shooting style or needs, and I'm more than happy with the D700 and my gear. Having a really high quality (nearly) pocketable option that looks and apparently feels as nice as this is very appealing...

Pre-ordered on Amazon a while back. Haven't heard anything from Amazon, but I don't think the statement from Fuji is pure marketing. I think they really are behind on meeting the demand. I'd be pleasantly surprised if mine ships by mid April.

Isamu, I'm not as optimistic as you about Nikon putting out something worthwhile on the mirrorless side, just based on how bad all of their previous compacts have been. Haven't owned any myself, but just based on what I've read. However, I certainly hope they make something good. That helps us all out.

Hi Samer,

Actually, I'm not all that optimistic, but one can dream. :smile:

Anyway, I already have a Panasonic GF1 which I like pretty much except for the lame EVF. Any Nikon mirrorless camera would probably replace that. I guess at this point it's more about where I want to put my money at the present time since I don't want to buy a X100 now and then a Nikon mirrorless in April. (Although I guess you could argue that at best Nikon will make an announcement and won't necessarily start shipping in April. Hmm, maybe I should get an X100.... :biggrin: )

Not surprised about production shortages - same for the D7000 after all. No need for fuji to invest millions of dollars in expanding production capacity to solve a problem that will be over in a few months.

For a high-demand product initial production can never keep up with demand. So you can do two things:
  • Build up a large stock pile, with the risk of not selling, having costly (really large volumes) returns in case of teething problems and having the fanboys complain "what's taking you so long"
  • Release early, have the early adoptors find those last few bugs and have the ability to charge a premium in those first few months due to shortages.

Can't blame fuji for going for option 2.

I saw a short note posted on the Fujifilm website stating that the factory making the X100 has been damaged causing a temporary halt to production. Thankfully none of the employees were hurt. The factory is near Sendai, 20 miles away if I recall correctly.

On a ligher note, here is a recent DigitalRev video about the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-VoXxwGWYc&feature=feedu

I saw a short note posted on the Fujifilm website stating that the factory making the X100 has been damaged causing a temporary halt to production. Thankfully none of the employees were hurt. The factory is near Sendai, 20 miles away if I recall correctly.

On a ligher note, here is a recent DigitalRev video about the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-VoXxwGWYc&feature=feedu

And I find it quite peculiar that B&H photo sent me an email last night saying that I can pre-order the X100

The samples on ephotozine show astonishing performance at ISO 1600 and 3200. Fuji seem to have some special magic in the sensor as it does look cleaner than the Nikon D300s for example.

Supposedly the first shipments to the states are approaching... hopefully Amazon fulfills the queue up to at least me :)

Fuji made an announcement that production resumed on their global web site ....that is not true

while the factory sustained damage from the earthquake they were producing slower than planned before the shutdown

word here is that when they tried to regroup it took approximately 70 production workers 8 hours to produce only 4 cameras.

other than what was shipped within Japan and in limited quantities to other suppliers I don't think any made it to main street USA.

beware of online offers ( goes without saying) because they are grey market and quality may be suspect

my advice is that it will better to wait until the production facilities recover and the word comes down that all quality issues are resolved .......this could be months away

My local shop is Precision Camera, which has been doing online pre-orders for a lot of people on the X100. They told me yesterday that a small shipment of around 250 units was released to the US, of which they'll get a handful. After that, nothing is expected for months.

where are you all finding this on amazon? I did a search for Fuji X100 and get nothing.

I want one of these bad boys with the leather case.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom