Fuji S2/S3?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by BigPixel, Oct 11, 2005.

1. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Anyone here shooting the Fuji S2 or S3?

2. Derrel

Derrel Guest

I shot the S2 quite a bit

I shot the Fuji S2 quite a bit, from the very first week it was out,until fairly recently actually. The S2's raw files are lovely. I have about 1,000 plus images on my pbase site,done with the S2 out of about 2,000 images there. I'm sure there are lots of others who use(d) the S2 and S3 here. Is there something in particular you're wondering about?

3. I'm shooting S3Pro and loving it. I shot a lot of swans this past summer in bright sunlight - no blown highlights! The dynamic range is a something to experience. Love the colours, ergonomics. I'm happy with it, wouldn't trade it for any other at this point.

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Just curious Darrell. I just joined the Cafe and am currently shooting an S2. I've had mine about 3 years. I was just interested in seeing if there were any others here.

I shoot RAW almost exclusively and have developed a workflow that allows for stunning prints up to 23.5" x 35" using the HP DesignJet 130 printer with this camera's rather modest file size. I can actually produce a very nice print sent this printer at 180ppi if you can believe that! I'm also a firm believer in using PKS, Photokit sharpener, for capture, creative and output sharpening. For whatever reasons the combo of S2+PKS+HP DJ130 handles most of my needs beautifully at present, but like most I am looking to upgrade sometime in the next year. Probably after the D200 comes out and we see what it offers.

For the most part, the S2 has been a terrific camera though.

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks 'Trauna' Lady. :wink: Good to know. I looked at the S3 but for me as a raw shooter there wasn't a convincing enough reason to upgrade. The D2x would be the next logical step (or the Canon 5D if I wanted to swap out 30 years of Nikon lenses and gear) but I think I'll hold off till we see what the D200 shakes out as. Personally I hope its a D2x with a few less bells and whistles. That would suite me to a "T".

6. The S3 has the most aplauded dynamic range in its class, worthy of serious consideration.

7. OMG Dave, you're ACTUALLY supporting an S3 user!!! LOL If this were the other forum, I'd be slammed to the pavement, in a choke-hold and beaten into submitting to the fact that the Nikons are the best cameras ever invented!! *LMAO*

My camera is the best camera ever - for ME. That's what we all have to consider, Mike. Each camera has strengths and weaknesses and you must research and decide. I decided that the dynamic range was the most important point in my desire to create beautiful photos.

original.
    original.
    original.
    original.

What more can I say about this camera!!??? I love it.
    Cheers, Sandi

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Great shots. I must look into the S3. As much as I love the D2x, I am constantly wrestling with the dynamic range constraints.

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Those are beautiful Sandi with great dynamic range.

I assume you shoot jpeg? That's the only reason to own the S3 for expanded DR really. Wedding shooters love this camera for that. But for me, I shoot RAF (raw) and can adjust DR and white balance in the Fuji converter to my liking. So, as you said; it's always a matter of personal need and preference.

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

John, I will buy you a brand new Fuji S3 and send it to you in exchange for your used D2x....... I'll even throw in a Thom Hogan book..... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  11. I just bought an S3 and love it. Sold my D70 right away. Even when I get a D200, I'll still keep the S3, it has some really amazing qualities that bring out the artist in you. It also handles really well and has amazingly low noise levels.

12. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Well thanks for the offer, but it would be in addition to the D2x - not instead of . . . :biggrin:

13. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Time to update your sig then..... :wink:

14. Before I decided on the D2x, I was fortunate to borrow a co-worker's S2 for about a month. I was very pleased with the results. I took it to my daughter's cheerleading competitions and had to shoot at ISO 1600. The shots came out extremely clean. The colors were always fantastic. I haven't touched an S3 but liked the S2 so much that I would consider an S3 as a backup. Won't decide though until the fabled D200 comes out. ;)

15. Of course, me ! errrrr... well, until some days ago !

...now i'm going to keep the S2 for Studio/macro only and use the D70 for the rest...
    :smile:

PS. Like you Mike, i'm "also" kind of waiting for the D200 ! ...if it doesn't cost an arm and 2 legs :cool: !

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

....an arm and ONE leg oughta do JP.

17. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    My first Digital SLR was the S2 and I still have it. I upgraded to the D2X and kept the S2 for high ISO shooting, like my son's school play. Just cant let go of the S2.

Although I almost never even pick the S2 up anymore thanks to the D2X.

Ron