Fuji S5 compared to Nikon's newest?

Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Messages
682
Location
Colorado, USA
I have an opportunity to sell my D90 for a good price here in Argentina, and have a few ideas to replace it when I visit the States in a couple months. I should tell you that I shoot part-time professionally; events and parties, live performances, studio and location portraits, headshots, model portfolios, product, gourmet, restaurants and wineries, etc... A bit of everything.
1. Put down a few hundred more dollars and get a D7000. I'm sure I wouldn't regret the investment.
2. Get a great deal on a re-furbed D90, buy a lens with what's left over (a 35 1.8, or maybe a 85 1.8D), and stay the course. I've been really happy with everything about my D90.
3. A used, low-actuation Fuji S5 Pro. I've seen these going for around $700, and I've always been interested in this machine. Seems to get a good rap for pleasing portraits and events.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me first-hand how the S5 Pro stacks up against the newer cameras (D90/300/7000). I do 90% of my shooting at ISO 400 or lower.
Thoughts or opinions?
 
Joined
May 18, 2010
Messages
930
Location
Sacramento, CA
I think the D7000 is probably the best bet.

The Fuji is very nice at base ISO, true, but even if you shoot at 400 or lower 90% of the time, that still leaves 10% of your shooting where image quality is going to fall apart pretty quickly.
 
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
359
Location
Toronto
Fuji S5 for the studio low ISO shots, D7000 for the Weddings etc....
Bought D7K after I sold S5, month later sold D7k and bought Fuji back.
But still, D7000 great fast camera IMHO better than almost all Nikons except D3,D3s, D3X & d700,
Fuji much slower & and if you want to get the best from your Fuji you have to learn to work with original Raw converter.

And I'm still Fuji all the way. ))
 
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Messages
3,969
Location
Chicago
D7000 is the best DX Nikon I have used. For lots of things, I prefer it to my FX cameras mostly when weight/size are problems.
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom