Fuji S5 ???? maybe .

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Desmond, Aug 3, 2008.

1. I can buy a used Fuji S5 with less than 200 shots on it for the price of a D40 .
    I'm wondering if it is a worthwhile purchase considering that I have read that they are petty slow [ in what way ?] . It won't be for sports , maybe for a few weddings and landscapes etc. Who uses one and what are your thoughts ...

2. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    S5

S5's still have that magic skintones that customers love. I think it would be great for weddings, and other people events where you do not need extremely high iso or fast continuous shots.

Also, it's probably still the best of any camera for "out-of-the-camera-jpegs," if you need that type of turn around on your work. If your working RAW files, it loses some of that advantage becasue of the flexability RAW files offer all cameras.

I have an old S2 that still gets some action.

I think it will be slowww for continuous shooting and writing to the buffer, I also suspect (but might be wrong) that it is not UDMA compliant. The Fuji S2 also has a pretty narrow sweet spot for ISO that it likes the best, I do not know if the S5 is similar.

Thom Hogan wrote a review. I don't think you can go wrong if your expectations are limited to the best skintones in the world and the best out-of-the-camera jpegs.

It also has a broader dynamic range than the D3, but it's overall performance is not D3-like in almost any sense.

3. I did some research and it seems it has the best skintones and dynamic range . For some reason the batteries are not compatible even though it is based on a D200 body . Also it appears that the files are HUGE . One of its biggest negatives seems to be very slow operation .
    I might wait to see what the S6 looks like :smile: , but then that won't be at the price of a D40 :frown:

4. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    Don't Count on a New FUJI

FUJI may be done with DSLR's, so that is probably why you can have the S5 at a bargain basement price.

Sales have never been good and they seem to have a very niche following. Also as I mentioned if you shoot raw the benfits of FUJI start to diminish, even with better dynamic range.

The jpeg files are not too big, but the RAW files are pretty darn big as I recall, even on my circa 2002 S2.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    For weddings and landscapes it will be fine. The S5 shines for weddings and portraits because of the DR and skin tones. I have found myself using mine less since I got a D3, but it is still a fine camera. It will be a shame if Fuji gets out of the SLR business.

6. There seem to be many professional wedding photographers using them . Their sales would pick up if they weren't so much more than Nikons .

7. PatrickO

PatrickO

Aug 5, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I usually pick this camera up before my D200 when going out for casual shooting (landscapes, city etc). The DR, colour and image quality are far more to my liking. My approach to faster subjects (birds, bikes etc) is to take fewer and better planned shots, not to machine gun the subject.

A 2GB CF card is usually sufficient for the day. More of my shots are keepers, and I spend less time afterwards weeding out the dozens of similar shots of the same subject. NEF's are 25MB.

Others moan about the menu, but I am a geek so learning another interface was not an issue (and it is not that dissimilar)

I put off a purchase decision for 2 years because of the battery compatibility and because the price was high. New here they can be had for £489 in the UK now, and it turned out to be a great camera.

8. I had the option to "buy now " at around 445 pounds[NZ$1200] . The bidding has been sitting at 354 for a few days now . [ NZ$955]

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The S5 is an excellent wedding camera. Better than average skin tone and OOC jpegs. One of the few that can handle a white dress and black tux situation. RAF's are huge compared to others but the files are so flexible that its worth it. Its not uncommon for me to shoot for shadow detail and pull back nearly 4 stops of highlight detail.

Slower than the D200 due to file size and it being 14-bit.

Don't give up on a new Fuji just yet. :wink:

10. I can't see them pulling out now , they just need more "user-friendly" prices .
    I read KR's review of the S5 and he shows how he rescues blown highlights with the 5 that can't be recovered with a D200 .
    If it used the same batteries as my other cameras I might have bought it .

11. I missed this thread so would have commented. You would enjoy the S5 for the type of shooting you do. Batteries are not really a problem, I could have given you a link to buy non-fuji S5 batteries at about $NZ30 for 2 - work just as well as the original (650 shots per charge). I see one or two still on trademe for about $NZ1200

12. I have a D700, a D60 and a I just bought another S5 Pro.

Its got some unique imagining capabilities and the Fuji's can still teach Nikon a trick or two - skintones, dynamic range and that elusive "niceness".

An S5 Pro will never be as "sharp" as Nikon cameras, but sharpness does not define image quality IMHO.

With the recent low prices, I would say they are a superb bargain right now :)

13. Thanks , I actually don't really need another camera , it's just that since they came out so expensive and had such a good reputation for image quality I started to want one when the price dropped so low .
    The reviews I read told me my brain wouldn't like to have to learn a different type of menu :smile:

14. Right now there are about 3 bodies brand new on our local auction site for about 1/3 of the original introductory price and a few second hand bodies . I suppose I should wait and see if nikon does a good enough job with the D90 first ....

15. The D90 will still be a Nikon. Nikon won't change their colours or dynamic range.

If you want real dynamic range, and "Fuji" colours you do need to buy a Fuji camera.

The D90 will not change anything, Nikon are locked into an IQ course with their colours and Picture Controls, and have taken a different imaging strategy. Thats not to say its wrong, or bad. But its different.

16. I'd strongly suggest that you try one out first in your local camera shop. The S5 does have more DR but micro detail is not as good. As for color, IMO, it's really more about what raw converter one uses. Unless of course, you intend to shoot only in jpg.
    Just my 2 cents...

17. I usually shoot jpeg but would like to familiarise myself with RAW for the times when it is necessary .

18. I guess it is always good to have different cameras (from diff. manufacturers) as each offer qualities that differ from one another. S5 at D40 price is a bargain.

19. Since some specs for the D90 have been revealed I might end up settling for "D-lighting" instead :smile:

20. SicKb0y

SicKb0y

Apr 1, 2008
    Germany
    If you don't need 5 or more fps, the S5 is the best you can get. I sold my D300 two weeks after I bought the S5. :eek::smile:

Pics say more than words:

Most of the samples are JPEGs ooc with no or just little pp

_dsf0172dv6.jpg

_dsf08747k7.jpg

_dsf17976nh.jpg

_dsf18182w3.jpg

_dsf191935h.jpg

_dsf21080c0.jpg

_dsf21287ev.jpg

_dsf2201fcj.jpg

_dsf213648e.jpg

_dsf2034_copy6fv.jpg