Fuji S5 Pro, auto WB, iso 1600

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Electromen, Jul 15, 2007.

1. I shot a wedding Saturday, the church was in the process of a large restoration project and had temporary Metal Halide Fixtures hanging from the ceiling for lights. I thought "oh no" but I trusted the Fuji's auto WB and shot the entire wedding with it.

This was taken from the balcony handheld with the S5 and 70-200 VR, auto WB, ISO 1600, 1/100 sec, f/2.8, spot metering, no flash.
    This is a jpeg straight from the camera, no adjustments except save for web.
    The S5 is so good at jpeg, I've quit using RAW for weddings.

822549486_a7ca43077b_o.

One more, same settings with a slight crop

View attachment 106227

This one I used some PS to enhance the color

View attachment 106228

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  2. vadimg

vadimg

May 23, 2007
    ny, ny
    Second shot is pretty blurry. Great skin tones though, I think that's what the S5 is best known for.

3. Second shot was taken with my 70-200 f/2.8 VR. I have since sent it to Nikon to check focus and haven't heard back yet. Capture shows focus point as being the brides face. Thanks, Greg

4. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    very nice pics - gotta love the S5!!

Peace
    Mark

5. Skin tones are so good with auto WB in every lighting situation that I quit using RAW, jpeg's and Lightroom are all I need.

6. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    greg. it has to be a slow shutter speed issue on the second one. I would not show it to the wedding party

7. ISO 1600
    f/2.8
    1/60 sec.
    handheld VR ON
    hand and lens foot resting on balcony railing

I'm waiting on Nikon's reply about focus
    I took several shots at the same settings and all have the same results.

The other shots were taken with 17-55 f/2.8 DX

8. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    You know when VR is on it is best not to rest it on something. Secondly, did you hold down the shutter for 5 seconds to activate VR before firing?

9. Yes I held it down for VR to activate.
    It could be VR caused the problem like a tripod would because of the railing.
    We'll see what Nikon Melvile says soon.

10. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Ah alright. Did you use the panning setting or the regular for VR?

11. reg VR

I haven't been happy with the focus of the 70-200 lately and wasn't sure whether to send it in or not. After this post I sent it in to be checked.
    I've had this lens for two years.

12. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    ok, I just see more and more people that claim lens issues which are photographer issues

13. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Sorry about the lens. I recently did the same thing with my 80-400VR. In the beginning I just shrugged it off to my needing to learn the lens but then in May, it started to slip while in manual focus mode so I sent it in. WOW!!!! when I saw the paper, it looked like the only things Nikon did not replace was the barrel and the glass - they even replaced the lens mount.

I hope they do as good a job on your lens as they did on mine.

Peace
    Mark

14. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    wow mark that is sad. Greg try and keep us informed. I hope your lens comes back well for you, btw with the 70-200 how tight of a crop are you actually getting and what are you having to crop out cause some of these are pretty rocking for 1600. The 3200 wasn't for me on the s5, but this looks pretty good so far.

15. Good news, Nikon is fixing the lens under warranty, estimated cost $397.50
    They didn't say what was wrong. I guess I wait until it returns.

16. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Cool, similar to mine - estimate was $375, final cost was $414. The website was way behind with updates and still showed mine in the shop waiting for parts on the day it was delivered back to me.

Hope it returns all ok.

Peace
    Mark

17. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Awesome. Good to hear.

18. francishmt

francishmt

Jun 29, 2006
    No offence, but, is it just me? I find not only picture #2, but all 3 are not that sharp. What's the sharpening setting, or are they cropped at all (ie. resolution problem)?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007