Fuji X100 images

I figured that Nikon isn't going to come out with their EVIL system any time soon (which means that it'll be announced next week :rolleyes: ), so last week I decided to go ahead and order the Fuji X100. Surprisingly it arrived in four days!

I haven't played around with it all that much yet, but here are some resized JPEGs from the X100.

All shots were hand held, so some of the shots, especially the closeups, could have been sharper. The first two were taken around 3:00 pm, the others about 30-60 minutes before sunset. Other than resizing, they are straight out of the camera - the camera being set to "Velvia" mode which is sort of like Nikon Vivid, but with a Velvia 100 feel.

_DSF0036s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSF0038s.jpg

_DSF0080s.jpg

The capture below was with spot metering. (Macro mode)
_DSF0089s.jpg

Basically the same shot as above, but with "Multi" metering (Fuji-speak for matrix). (Macro mode)
_DSF0090s.jpg

_DSF0092s.jpg

(Macro mode)
_DSF0096s.jpg

For those of you who are interested, the EXIF data should be intact.

Congrats on your new camera Isamu! Pics look good. Keep them coming!

...oh yeah, time to update your sig :tongue:

The macro shots probably are a bit soft since those were also taken hand held, there was a slight breeze which was pushing the flowers around, and it was close to sunset so that the shutter speeds were kind of slow. I was also using AF-S and not AF-C, so any slight forward/backward movement on my part probably contributed to the softness.

Looks pretty good, much better than Fuji's press shots. I don't know if I'd say that they actually look like Velvia, but they're very nice.

With respect to handling, I agree for the most part with the review over at the Luminous Landscape and the follow-up article. As with most things, however, once you get used to the idiosyncrasies, the X100 isn't a hard camera to live with. Note, however, that I say this from the point of view of a landscape shooter. A street shooter might have other feelings, especially with regard to the relatively slow start up time.

Here are three more "real world shots" and two shots to test the X100's macro capability. All JPEGs straight from the camera that have only been resized in Photoshop.

_DSF0102s.jpg

_DSF0112s.jpg

_DSF0118s.jpg

_DSF0126s.jpg

_DSF0127s.jpg

Both of the macro shots were manually focused at 4~5 inches from the sensor plane. Manual focus is a PITA because it's a focus-by-wire system that takes forever to get from one end to the other. Having said that, manual focus together with the assist magnifier works very well IMO.

Does a pretty impressive job huh! Can't wait to see these big sensors in even smaller more functional cameras! The future is bright!

Hi Ryan,

I'm sure you know, but in case you don't the latest update to ACR processes X100 raws.

I haven't really done any raw processing of X100 files, but will try to get around to it.

Mmhmm I updated Lightroom the moment it came out in preparation :) Also ordered a soft release, 52-49mm adapter and a 49mm hood... cost me $20 total instead of having to spend $150 whenever the hood/adapter are available in the US.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Just got mine last week and will find time this weekend to try it out. I'm excited!

Got mine two days ago, and loving it so far. Lots to get used to, but so far most comes naturally.

Anyone tried a Nikon external flash (SB-400/600/800) with your X100? Curious if ttl works, since some Fuji SLRs work.

From what I remember reading they will only work in manual mode :( I'll give it a try when I get home.

Latest threads

Top Bottom