Fuji XE-1

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
I am considering purchasing this camera with the 18-55 kit lens as an alternative to lugging around my Nikon dSLRs, in hopes that I will take it with me more often. But I am concerned about using an EVF, as opposed to the full-view optical VFs on my D3s and D300.

The X100s might also be an excellent choice, but the fixed lens (FOV 35mm) seems like it would be a drawback.

Suggestions and feedback are most welcome!

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I am considering purchasing this camera with the 18-55 kit lens as an alternative to lugging around my Nikon dSLRs, in hopes that I will take it with me more often. But I am concerned about using an EVF, as opposed to the full-view optical VFs on my D3s and D300.

The X100s might also be an excellent choice, but the fixed lens (FOV 35mm) seems like it would be a drawback.

Suggestions and feedback are most welcome!
Check out this thread on the XE-1 and see some of our comments and photos. Lots of very happy people with it and more coming around to our viewpoint every day! :smile:

The EVF hasn't been an issue for me at all.
And the 18-55mm lens is sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Merlin Emrys
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Glenn. I had already gone through the 13 pages of the XE-1 thread before posting, but EVF only was an issue. Looks like it is available at both Amazon and B&H, but my Prime account will give 2-day shipping from the former, with the same return privileges.

Also wondering about an adapter for my Nikon AF and AI lenses? Amazon had this one: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon G-type, and DX-Type Lens to Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless Camera. And I did see one that might work at the RainbowImaging website. Is one better, and are there any downsides to their use?

Is it worth purchasing an extra battery? Are 45mbs cards good, or do I need faster ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Glenn. I had already gone through the 13 pages of the XE-1 thread before posting, but EVF only was an issue. Looks like it is available at both Amazon and B&H, but my Prime account will give 2-day shipping from the former, with the same return privileges.

Also wondering about an adapter for my Nikon AF and AI lenses? Amazon had this one: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon G-type, and DX-Type Lens to Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless Camera. And I did see one that might work at the RainbowImaging website. Is one better, and are there any downsides to their use?

Is it worth purchasing an extra battery? Are 45mbs cards good, or do I need faster ones?
I believe you will like XE-1 and 18-55. The lens' AF is very fast, and sharp. I like 18-55 and use it so much that I'm thinking I don't need 35mm 1.4
For EVF..I think it's personal taste so I would recommend to order it from Amazon, and you will have 1 month to try it. If you can not live with EVF, you can return it.
I use rear LCD most of the time. Even if it had an OVF... I still might not like it ( like I never used OVF with X100) because i got used to my D600' viewfinder ;-).Fuji colors will compensate you the inconvenience ;-).

I have used my X-E1 for a couple of months. The EVF is a different experience and I have gotten used to it. In fact, I do like seeing the histogram and the way the EVF will show what the exposure will look like( not much for fine tuning but if you have really blown it the image will be way off).

I really like my X-E1 and use it a lot. The Nikons only come out now for low light or fast moving subjects. By the way, I do use the X-E1 to photograph my grand kids running around and it works fine in almost all situations. I don't even think about anything other than the Fuji for photographing the kids now.

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
Thanks for the feedback and info, Steven and Hobart. I am about ready to order, but still wonder if I should get a spare battery and lens adapter, and if a 45mbs card is enough?

Thanks for the feedback and info, Steven and Hobart. I am about ready to order, but still wonder if I should get a spare battery and lens adapter, and if a 45mbs card is enough?
Just my two cents: I would recommend at least one spare battery. I have both a spare Fuji brand battery, and two from Wasabi. Have never needed more than two, but I have four just in case. As for the card, 45mbs is good, faster is obviously better. I bought a faster one, and the difference in speed is noticeable.

You also mentioned an adapter for your Nikon Ai/AiS lenses I believe. I bought a Kipon, which is terrific. Very good fit, and seems of excellent quality. I had first tried a cheap one (not Fotodiox), but the fit was not as good as I hoped for. I have heard good things about the Fotodiox adapters also.

BTW, I have found the EVF easy to use. I came from Sony NEX cameras before the X-E1 however, so was already used to the concept. Hopefully you'll enjoy using the camera. The image quality was what hooked me. Have fun!

I would think it's not worth for the extra Fuji battery at the price tag. But i ever used brand Wasabi for my x100 and it's good. I read good reviews too. You can check it out on Amazon. The original battery can last for 100 shots, or about one day of shooting.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Just my two cents: I would recommend at least one spare battery. I have both a spare Fuji brand battery, and two from Wasabi. Have never needed more than two, but I have four just in case.
Absolutely agree with this! I have three batteries and have used two up in one day before, so I'd definitely go for the extra(s).

extra batteries - definitely. For some reason we can't charge the X cameras via usb.

EVF vs OVF - I've had a little trouble getting used to it. Only a little, though. There's always the X-Pro 1, though. If you have any way to compare, I'd recommend it. The smaller, lighter body won out over the OVFV for me.

Get the cheap adapter. I bought the Rainbow Imaging Nikon G and I use my 50/1.4 all the time. $25 at Amazon was a no-brainer. The only expensive one I'd consider would be the Fuji with a chip - and only then if I had a collection of compatible Leica glass. Until they make a Nikon version, my el-cheapo does exactly what it's supposed to do!

I'd also recommend the 35/1.4. It's my most used lens. I rented a 14 for the trip I'm currently on, and it's definitely a great lens. I'm anxiously awaiting the 10-24/4, but I may still end up with the 14 instead.

Good luck - you'll definitely be carrying a camera more often once the Fuji gets to you!

Real Name
Merlin Emrys
Thanks to everyone for the very helpful feedback and suggestions -- much appreciated!

I could only find a Fotodiox Nikon adapter at Amazon, however. The only RainbowImaging for Fuji was Leica M.

Still undecided about purchasing the XE-1. I am concerned about the EVF, and have no way to try one out. Also, since I have the D300 with 16-85, the differences between the cameras are not huge -- a pound or two in weight, and obviously somewhat larger size.

Is it worth ~$1400 (including extra battery, fast SDHC card, lens adapter, etc.)? Dunno...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom