Review Fujifilm X-T1 - First Impression

I am seldom so excited about a new camera. After shooting is for a few days, I believe it will bring the X-system into real competition with other systems like Sony-E and m4/3. Here's my first impression:

Body and control - It's a compact body with a very solid feel and very comfortable in my hand. People with bigger hands may find it a bit same and may need the optional grip. I am also very happy with the top dials. The back panel buttons maybe a bit small for bigger fingers. Menu navigation is easy, probably because I have other Fuji cameras before.

EVF - I like the centre location. The VF is really big with good frame rate and is a joy to work with. The split screen for MF is quite interesting and useful.

AF - AF is faster than before, and I've tried tracking my cat and people walking and running with good results. It may not be as fast as Nikon dSLR but is quite acceptable.

Image quality - It's very good. AWB, DR and colors are all very good. This is a camera that you can shoot JPEG and forget about RAW. I am very happy with the pictures straight out of the camera.

2 test shots, in low light situation. Both are JPEG straight from the camera with standard settings and only resized and sharpened without further processing.

35mm/1.4 F/4 1/60s ISO4000
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

55-200mm F/5 1/180s ISO1000
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Phil - thanks for the post. As with any camera, it won't be for everyone, but most of the reports I've seeing have been positive. Can't wait for mine to arrive. :geek:

BTW - love the coloration of your cat's eyes.

First looks OOF.
The second is gorgeous.

Camera looks like a winner. Am sure there will be many happy owners !

Phil - thanks for the post. As with any camera, it won't be for everyone, but most of the reports I've seeing have been positive. Can't wait for mine to arrive. :geek:

BTW - love the coloration of your cat's eyes.
First looks OOF.
The second is gorgeous.

Camera looks like a winner. Am sure there will be many happy owners !
Thank you. Yes, the first one is soft. There are several photos in that series and I picked the wrong one. Sorry about that.

Will post some better photos when I get home.

Congrats on new camera! The second shot is great! With Fuji, WB is just right even in very low light. Colors and skin tones of the second picture are very pleasant and natural.

Phil,
May you try to see how face detection works when you have a chance? I need this because I photograph my young kids very often. Thanks in advance!
Would you think this camera works well for kids? thanks

Counting the hours - mine should arrive tomorrow! I have the vertical grip pre-ordered, and it 'looks to be available very soon. I'm really hoping that the 56 shops ahead of the early April prediction.
Now, Fuji, please hurry up with that 50-140!!

Counting the hours - mine should arrive tomorrow! I have the vertical grip pre-ordered, and it 'looks to be available very soon. I'm really hoping that the 56 shops ahead of the early April prediction.
Now, Fuji, please hurry up with that 50-140!!
I just cancelled mine preorder because I'm going to pharmacy school, PharmD program beginning this August, then I won't have any minutes to touch on the camera during next 4 years... Surely I will be back to buy "XT2" after 4 years. I'm not sure if I have time for my XE1/ 23 1.4 and 55-200 either, but definitely XT1 is the best X-camera so far.
Enjoy your new cameras, folks, and please keep posting your samples!

Thank you guys.

I just cancelled mine preorder because I'm going to pharmacy school, PharmD program beginning this August, then I won't have any minutes to touch on the camera during next 4 years... Surely I will be back to buy "XT2" after 4 years. I'm not sure if I have time for my XE1/ 23 1.4 and 55-200 either, but definitely XT1 is the best X-camera so far.
Enjoy your new cameras, folks, and please keep posting your samples!
Sorry about the camera but congratulations for going to PharmD. Enjoy the study and the wonderful career ahead.

As for face detection, I just tried it with my kid and it seems to be working quite well.

Thank you guys.

Sorry about the camera but congratulations for going to PharmD. Enjoy the study and the wonderful career ahead.

As for face detection, I just tried it with my kid and it seems to be working quite well.
Phil,
Thank you so much for your wish, and checking about the function! I wish I had face detection on my XE1. I will get back to photography after 4 years.
Enjoy your new, great camera!

Mine arrived a few hours ago. It's everything I've heard - in short, Wow!!!
It's so much smaller than my D700, it's a little disconcerting at first. Then, after caressing it for a while, not so much. The WiFi/camera remote app is otherworldly. I have no doubt it will cause another evolution on my shooting and workflow. Any changes or actions are seemingly instant. Images transfer to my phone and tablet extremely fast, unlike the Transcend WiFi card I've been using in my X-E1 which is slow and cumbersome. I now have no real hesitation in selling the rest of my Nikon stuff off as soon as the Fuji 50-140 ships. I can not wait until the 56/1.2 gets here!

I also ordered several Wasabi Power batteries and the new SanDisk Extreme Pro (I have the specific reader preordered). I got an email a little while ago from B&H telling me that my card has shipped and should be here tomorrow.

You've all seen the size comparisons, but for additional perspective, the T1 with the 35/1.4 weighs less than my D700 alone - considerably less. And it still manages to feel every bit as solid! I do believe Fuji has hit this one out of the park and into the next time zone!!

Ugo, very nice photos. But I already have the 60mm so it's hard to justify buying the 56/1.2. The next lens I may get is the 16-55.

I agree with Vinman. It's small and light, but feel very solid. I now mostly use manual aperture and shutter speed and auto ISO.

Got mine yesterday.

I also have a Fuji XE-1, and Olympus OMD.

This camera is the perfect blend between the two. The build feels solid, far better than the XE-1. The rear buttons are a bit hard to find without looking at them, im sure muscle memory will kick in with enough time.

Viewfinder is fantastic, the EVF window is nice and large, it has a good solid feel to it.

The only thing i dont like about it is that horrible angry little piece of plastic that covers the PC sync port. That thing is terrible, dont pull it off, it takes forevery to get it back on.

it feels bigger than the XE-1, even though it is identical in size.

Everything about it works pretty good, not having any luck with the auto pc backup, but i have not spend much time on it

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom