Review Fujifilm X-T1 - First Impression

EG - pretty much mirrors my observations. I still like the feel of my E1, but the T1 is on a whole different level.

I'm also having issues with the PC app. Files seem to transfer, but if they're actually making, they aren't going into the folder I specifying.

The iOS app is virtually flawless.

EG - pretty much mirrors my observations. I still like the feel of my E1, but the T1 is on a whole different level.

I'm also having issues with the PC app. Files seem to transfer, but if they're actually making, they aren't going into the folder I specifying.

The iOS app is virtually flawless.
Do you think it's worth the cost for the upgrade? I'm having XE-1 too. How do you like colors from the new sensor compare to the old one of XE-1? thanks

I just clicked the order button on Amazon couple minutes ago. (I was so surprised that they had 11 in stock at the time- body only.) I gave up, could not resist!!!.
After I checked out and looked back, only 4 remained! 7 gone while I was checking out! Some one may hurry up!

To be totally honest, I haven't really done any sort of comparison yet. Like, at all. I've had a crazy week of work and academic stuff, so this weekend will be my first outing with the camera. The low light indoor shots I have taken look quite nice, but it's been purely an effort to simply play with the features and controls. I'll update later with image file impressions.

Do you think it's worth the cost for the upgrade? I'm having XE-1 too. How do you like colors from the new sensor compare to the old one of XE-1? thanks

I just clicked the order button on Amazon couple minutes ago. (I was so surprised that they had 11 in stock at the time- body only.) I gave up, could not resist!!!.
After I checked out and looked back, only 4 remained! 7 gone while I was checking out! Some one may hurry up!
For what its worth, I doubt I will be using my XE-1 much at all for general photography. I have had this love hate relationship between the OMD and the XE-1. I liked the output of the XE-1, but found the AF to be terrible, the EVF was decent, but nothing to scream about. Everything the XE-1 did poorly the OMD excelled at, everything the OMD fell short in the XE-1 excelled in.

The XT-1 is so much faster in operation than the XE-1. the AF is very fast, it seems to be very accurate. The viewfinder is not only usable, it is darn good. I think the XT-1's EVF is probably the first one that really starts to threaten the OVF. Looking through this one, I would suspect the EVF is only 2 maybe 3 small generations to outperforming an OVF in every way imaginable. Not quite there yet, but that gap between the XE-1 EVF and a solid 100% view pentaprism OVF just got a lot smaller.

For the build quality, i would say using a Nikon comparison it would be like a D800 vs a D7x00 series. Where you pick it up and are somehow immediately able to recognize it as something that is very well crafted and designed, and that it is a thing if quality. The knobs feel fantastic, the textured faux leather is far nicer than the XE-1's, it feels like it was machined out of a solid piece. Even the LCD screen feels solid and confidant. That is how the XT-1 not only feels compared to the XE-1, but it also looks that way too. I'm not 100% how to describe it, but I'm sure everyone on this board understands exactly what I am talking about. This is a serious camera, I have owned and enjoyed the Fuji XE-1, first gen Olympus Pen, Olympus OMD, Sony NEX-3, Sony NEX-5N, and Nikon J1, I have handled the NEX6, and NEX7. I liked all those cameras, they all had thier strengths and weaknesses, however this is the first mirrorless camera I have ever held that feels like a professional grade tool.

well, except for the side door which feel as cheap as ever. and the unlock buttons on the dials are"ok". And of course, the rear buttons sure are flush. so its not all puppies and sunshine, but those seem awfully insignificant in the long run (to me at least)

I have a close friend who is also a photographer (Canon PRO or go home), he has seen the various mirrorless cameras and never taken any interest in the mirrorless cameras, thinking they were pretty cool toys, this one stopped him in his tracks when he picked it up, and he spend the next 30 min messing around with it and then asked if he could take it with him to his next shoot. he was very impressed with it.

This is NOT a light camera. For some reason everyone seems way too zoned in on the fact a camera CAN be smaller when mirrorless, and yes, it can, but I would think the larger benefit is the ability to go with smaller lens elements, reducing the cost for high quality lenses. I mean come on, we are all adults here, garbage in, garbage out. That is what lured me into the Fuji system is the excellent optics, the 35 1.4 is every bit as sharp as the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 which i owned for years, but costs a fraction of the price (different lens different purposes i know, but the idea remains the same)

Im handling mine right now with the 14 f/2.8 and i tell ya what, I cant imagine this was any lighter than my D7000 and the 35mm 1.4 lens.

As for the XE-1, it will probably be kept as a backup camera, but live most of its life on one of my motion controlled time lapse rigs with my OMD. I just got the parts to build out a battery adapter so i can run it with large capacity batteries for extended timelapse in the field, or plug it into the wall if needed.

So in other words, if there i anything about the XE-1 you dont like, i doubt you will have the same gripes with the Xt-1

Finally got home to play with my xt1! I also picked up the new super fast toshiba sdhc uhsII card on my travels.

All I can say is wow. There is a noticeable af difference (in poor light conditions) compared to Xe 2 with same lens)

I have d700 and 85 1.4d combo and I did not notice any discernible difference in af speed (xt1 with 56 1.2). Af very accurate even wide open and of course half the size and weight.....

I'll be testing the af tracking at my son's Gaelic football match today and if it works well I'll have a serious decision to make about my Nikon collection...

I'll update later on!

It looks like this one may be a body I could shoot with for a long time.
In fact, I'm still enthralled by the un-focusing, un-refreshedEVF E1.

And I still can't get over how much I like the lenses.

Finally got the body. Very nice. Fit and finish, quality of the controls, size and weight are fine. With the 27mm mounted, it's a small package.

While waiting for the battery to charge, I have been handling the camera and manipulating controls. With all of the buzz about the 4-way controller, I'm not really having an issue - although I can tell if I don't keep my thumbnail quite short the nail could cause some interference. Fingers are not hitting the front function button, nor the video button. At this point in time, I honestly don't see anything with regard to control layout that shouldn't do anything other than get easier as I get used to the camera. Time will tell.

Can't wait for the battery so I can see the EVF. :geek:

My new camera touch typing exercise is at night, turn out the lights in a room and take pictures of the street outside. Not being able to see the control markings helps to learn where they are.

My new camera touch typing exercise is at night, turn out the lights in a room and take pictures of the street outside. Not being able to see the control markings helps to learn where they are.
That works quite well for me as well. Most of last night was in a room dark enough I couldn't read the button text. Only turned on the lights when needed. Have about half the controls down by feel this morning.

I am still a little surprised. I was a bit concerned the buttons were going to be a problem for me. They are closer in size to the E-M5 than the E-M1, and the E-M5 gave me enough problems it was really difficult for me to use. E-M1's buttons are much better. Maybe the spacing of the buttons on the X-T1 negates the size? Anyways, I'm not finding it difficult to use.

Batteries are charged, firmware updates for the lenses have been done. Will be out later today to test the lenses and start working out the settings. :snaphappy:

Tried one yesterday when a mate popped round with his (using the 35mm lens).

Feels VERY similar in use to the Df - that means that all of the criticisms aimed at the Df in terms of acting like an old SLR with the dials etc are just as valid here IMO. That's neither good nor bad, just a statement.

He also had an XE-2 here and we couldn't really see much difference in AF speed in low-light. It tracks better using the AF points that use the PDAF, no doubt about that, but as soon as you're outside into the edge AF points it's no quicker that we could see in real terms. The Df did kick it's arse there (which means a D600/D610 would) and the D3s absolutely slaughtered it (both using the Nikkor 35/1.4). Moving the AF points around isn't as quick as just hitting a d-pad but there's no reason why that couldn't be sorted with firmware. IQ-wise we could see no difference against his XE-2. The DSLR comparison was done because that's what I'd be giving up and sadly it's not quite there yet for me in terms of a camera I could use for 40+ weddings a year, some in the very low light we get for UK winter weddings. I'm also not quite ready to give up a good OVF.

BUT - very light, very compact and very well built (on a par with the Df I'd say, but obviously smaller and lighter). It's certainly an excellent camera and extremely well-priced.

Hmmm, bought one of these late last week as a compliment to the D4. This mirrorless stuff has it's place but the AF has some way to go before it's anywhere close to the pro DSLR bodies. X-T1 makes a nice lightweight grab n go camera though. The little 18-55 OIS zoom is great.

I think it is fascinating to watch the evolution of mirrorless cameras. Some of the new ones seem to be perfectly acceptable choices for pro work today. Portraiture, product shots, street photography, maybe even some PJ work. Certainly not up to par for sports, birding, etc. I wonder how many generations down the road where some of them will be acceptable replacements for any pro work?

. This mirrorless stuff has it's place but the AF has some way to go before it's anywhere close to the pro DSLR bodies. .
I bought the X100s and sold it
for street work, the AF was unacceptable
I knew it wouldn't be the same as my D700, but it wasn't even close, as you say

the Olympus bodies have much quicker AF
from my limited experience with them

I don't understand why Fuji is having such trouble with it

the OM-10 is looking better every day...

Mood, the AF issue is in the past. I have both the X100S and the X-T1, and the X-T1 AF locks on quickly and accurately. It's also as fast if not faster than my OMD-5. But for birding and other wildlife, I would fully transition to Fuji.

good to hear Ariel
I do like the Fuji colors and jpegs

I have given up wildlife
so I am looking for 2 small kits

my new D700 ( would sell current one) with 35/2 ,Noct, 100/2 and 200/2

Fuji with 231.4 and 56/1.2
or
Olympus with 17/1.8 , 25/1.8 and 45/1.8

Mood, I too like, and always have liked, the Fuji colors. I first went the MU 4/3 route with the OMD-EM5 and the conventional collection of lenses. I also bought the x100s for a trip to Colorado as I wanted to go really light, and I was hooked...the Fuji color was the clincher. I now also have the X-T1 and the 14 & 23 primes, the 18-55 kit (which really isn't the typical "kit" lens) and the Zeiss Touit 32, with the F 56/1.2 on order....that will be it for awhile. I am in the process of selling off my MU 4/3 collection, not due to dissatisfaction, but my distinct preference for Fuji. If as and when Fuji features long lenses adequate for birding etc, Nikon will be a thing of the past for me. But for now, I am more than pleased with the dual system.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom