Review Fujifilm X-T1 - First Impression

I am ready to jump
just don't want to be disappointed again with Fuji AF

the X100s was a disaster in terms of street shooting
missed so many shots

wish there was somewhere to actually try one out..

Last edited:
Mood, can't imagine there isn't a bricks "n" mortar somewhere near "suburbia". If not, how far are you from The City? You will be making enough of an investment to warrant testing it first. Of course, you can always go the Net route and if it doesn't work for you, send it back.

the bricks 'n' mortar are BH and Adorama
the last places to get anything new it seems

will check it out at some point.

thanks

Just got mine today, X-T1/18-55/free grip, from Henry's (Canada). With the freezing weather we are having here, I'm not sure when I will see anything colourful worth shooting.
It's hard to impress me but this EVF is just Wow!

Interesting based on some of the wild internet praising activity about the "s" model....

and of course I bought into it
I really wanted to love it too
the files were beautiful

anything that moved was hit or miss.......usually miss

yep

just came home from trying Xt-1 and Om-d M1
at Adorama and BH
side by side
enough to piss off both counter people..

the Fuji colors are great, the EVF is real nice
the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 are a great 2 lens kit

the Olympus feels better in the hand , and I still think, has superior AF
Im sold on the 45/1.8, but not sure what wider lens I would get..

will have to rid some Nikon gear for a body and 2 lens kit for either choice
and I want to do it before an upcoming trip to New Orleans
want to go light..

Nothing special. Played around a bit to check for function and haven't had the time to get back out with it. Hopefully this week I'll be able to get out and do some shooting.

No way right now for me to process raw files, so all images are jpegs. Color images were with Velvia profile, monochrome were with B&W no filter. Other in-camera settings - ISO Auto, WB Auto, Color 0, Sharpness +1, Highlights 0, Shadows +1, NR -2, jpeg small, quality fine.

IIRC, default sharpening on import into Elements (open as RAW), no NR applied during post processing. Other post processing notes from memory above each image - not 100% sure I remembered 100% correctly.

Playing with perspective distortion with the 14/2.8 - jpeg at 1/4000s, f/2.8, iso200, adjusted for level and cropped, some hdr grunge (a bit overdone, but that's how I felt the other day :hurting:).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Again with the 14/2.8 - jpeg at 1/3800s, f/2.8, iso200, adjusted for level and cropped, exposure dropped to recover some highlight detail in the dandelion. Nice being able to literally hold the camera a few inches away from an object on the ground at it's level and be able to view the image on the rear LCD.

Checking the 55-200 - monochrome jpeg at 1/4000s, f/4.8, 200mm, iso400, straightened and cropped, shadows lightened a bit. Looks good wide open at 200mm. :geek:

Phil - sorry for killing your thread. :eggface: For anyone looking... please don't confuse my lack of talent for the X-T1's capability.

A couple of questions for Phil and the other owners.

Anyone have the one or the other (or both) light leak? Mine suffers from the port leak. AF assist is fine.

Any updates on impressions after using the camera for a while?

As for mine - I'm liking it more the more I use it. I'm an OVF viewfinder snob, and seriously detest EVFs. I'm actually OK with this one. Learning controls and not really having any issues with manipulation with a few exceptions. I know know where the controls I need to access while shooting are by feel, except the 4-way controller - I have to sometimes look for it to confirm, and I am still having an issue remembering which function is on which button. I have to use tip of a fingernail to move the drive and metering mode switches once the tab is close to the EVF hump. WiFi button is a bit difficult for my chubby fingers to actuate, but I don't have a smartphone so it's a non-issue for now. I'm not finding the ISO lock to be an issue the way I shoot - I tend to not change ISO so quickly it's a hindrance. If I need to change that quickly I'm usually in auto iso. Loving the lenses. Can't wait to get my desktop fixed and get back into lightroom and start using the RAW files instead of jpegs.

Hi Gordon, let me take the heat off your excellent images with something truly bad! ;)

This is nothing artistic, simply myself gutting a fuji battery and retrofitting it with a DC/DC regulator so i can power it in the field with 12 volt batteries for extended timelapse shooting sessions.

Even with as unimpressive as the content is, the color is fantastic, i love how it just pops!

I also have light leak, you dont even need to take an image to see it, just set shutter to 30s, iso 6400, and shine a bright table lamp into it and you will see the result. After some testing i had found that only the MIC and the "top" half of the HDMI port have this problem. and it is not the inside of the jacks but rather the outside of the jacks that have the problem. Instead of shipping it out for 10 days I got a piece of electrical tape and covered those hatches, then using a very sharp razor blade i cut the tape around the holes and presto, no more light leak :)

As for use, i really like it. My Olympus OMD Em5 and 4/3 gear is all up for sale. There were things the OMD did much better than my Fuji XE-1, however, the X-T1 does everything the OMD does and more. I couldnt be happier, and now im excited to sell off my 4/3 gear and possible aquire the 56 f1.2 :)

One thing i noticed, and i have been away from DSLR for a little while, so maybe they are just as good in this regard these days, when going through Image Review it is BLAZINGLY fast! Even with a standard SD card, if pressing left or right it plows through the images at about 20 images per second it seems, and not in just some crappy half-resolution, but it uses the full resolution of the screen.

For timelapse this is killer, I normally encode at 30fps, but even with playback at around 20fps it gives a very good proof of what the clip will look like when i am done.

While i like the dual screen mode, i found i prefer the full screen with focus assist if manually focusing.

The more i use it the more i like it. Muscle memory has already kicked in, I really dont even need to look at the top anymore when making changes.

I took it out to my yard and put it on my iOptron star tracker, and i have to say with the flip out screen and instant manual focus assist, this has got to be the easiest camera to focus on stars with. You can get it dead on every time with little effort. When shooting in BULB mode the display counts and shows how long you have depressed the shutter which is also a nice feature.

This camera is a perfect for me! :)

Again, my still short term impressions mirror Ed's. I have the 55-200 coming today and the 56/1.2 should be here late next week.

I'm absolutely loving this camera. It's really like shooting with the FE (and no the FM just due to the auto functions). The remote app is completely insane and darn near perfect! The "save to PC" software needs work, but virtually everything else is awesome.

I haven't checked for the light leak, but based on what I'm reading, mine probably has it to some degree. Since it doesn't really effect my normal shooting, once the dust settles a little, I'll probably check it and send it in. Right now I'm enjoying it too much to be without for ten days to two weeks.

As far as use (for me) compared to Nikon, I miss CLS but that's it.

I'll add one more usage note - I got the battery grip. I really like how it makes the camera feel, but for the first time since before my D200, I'll actually use the camera probably as much without as with. I'll likely use the grip most when traveling for the extra capacity. The camera still feels great in-hand without the grip. That's a compliment from me!

Mine is 02626, so if that's the case, then mine is right in there. Like isaid, though, it's not a problem for my usual stuff so I'll send it in a little later.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom