Fujifilm X100V discussion and photo sharing

I enjoy taking pictures. Supporting
Exactly, no different to other things we buy and use, e.g. cars, bikes, etc.

What I have learned in the past few years, if a camera doesn't suit my requirements, I don't persevere and try and make it fit, I get one which does the job, and makes my photography enjoyable. Which is why I doubt I would ever own a Z50, purely because of the operation of LCD screen.
Some of us ain't that loaded.

Well I'm not loaded but I still want things that suit me and that I like. I just can't have all of them.

In the case of the X100V, I tried it in our local dealer's along with the Z50. The main thing that swung it for me was the viewfinder but I have long admired the principle behind the X100 series and, to me, their looks. If I had wanted to spend much more I would have gone for a used Leica Q (not the Q2 - too many pixels) but I was happy with this in my hands at half the price. Yes, more than the Z50 and its smaller lens but the Fuji felt better to me. I would have been even happier if it had come with a fully articulating screen like the XT-4.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some of us ain't that loaded.
I'm definitely not loaded

Buying into a camera system does cost money. I generally purchase a body and one lens, which IMO is no different to buying one brand of lawn mower, and another brand of whipper snipper. These one off cameras are purchased for a specific genre. In the case of my native orchid photos, I can easily take a few thousand images on a photowalk, and that is because the majority of them are focus stacks. Buying a camera system which makes life easier in the field, and potentially reduces post processing time is a win win for me.

I was photographing native orchids in a local reserve yesterday and stopped by one of the local Spoonville's on the way home.

Here are a few snaps using the X100V

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was photographing native orchids in a local reserve yesterday and stopped by one of the local Spoonville's on the way home.

Here are a few snaps using the X100V

View attachment 1670578

View attachment 1670579

View attachment 1670580

View attachment 1670581

View attachment 1670582

View attachment 1670583

View attachment 1670584
Really colourful series Richard and what a great idea for a bit of neighbourhood fun. The way you describe it I assume Spoonvilles have been created elsewhere too. I must mention it to my daughter. It's the sort of thing she would start up - enthusiastically!

Really colourful series Richard and what a great idea for a bit of neighbourhood fun. The way you describe it I assume Spoonvilles have been created elsewhere too. I must mention it to my daughter. It's the sort of thing she would start up - enthusiastically!
I don’t know a lot about Spoonville other than it has really taken off in our state when we went into stage 4 lockdown.

Some info from the internet
https://spoonvilleinternational.com/

More info from a local newspaper

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...lief-for-stir-crazy-kids-20200716-p55cos.html

Part of the newspaper article incase it is Geo locked
Spoonville fad dishes out lockdown relief for stir-crazy kids
Melbourne's first lockdown saw teddy bears and rainbows appear in windows, now lockdown 2.0 has another activity for stir-crazy children as communities full of brightly painted wooden spoon characters pop up across the suburbs.

Originating in the English village of Winnersh, the Spoonville fad has spread across Britain and is finding a toehold in Victoria, where spoon villages are sprouting in parks and nature strips.
Characters have included cartoon favourites, monsters, animals and even a Reese Witherspoon.

It follows the global bear hunt and rainbow trail activities, where children put their bears or drawings of rainbows in windows for other children to spot while taking a walk around their neighbourhood.

Junelle Wilson and her three sons provided a home for a family of spoon people on their Longwarry nature strip in March after hearing of the trend from a friend in Scotland.

Locals began to add other residents to the community before a few more Spoonvilles appeared nearby but it wasn't until Melbourne's second lockdown that the spoons really started to cause a stir.
"It's really lovely that it's taken off. People are saying it's the new rainbow trail," Ms Wilson said.

"It was all about the mental health of the kids and that's become more apparent the longer we've gone on, so I'm really hoping it just gives kids something to do and something to smile at when they go for a walk every day."

New Spoonvilles are now popping up each day and they've been spotted in Pakenham, Frankston, Lilydale and Nunawading, amongst other places.
Parents have been using the activity as a break from distance learning, while primary schools have been getting those students who are still attending classes to create spoon villages as a way of getting their minds off the pandemic.

Another big weekend orchid hunting. This morning I took the X100V along.

I have taken more varieties than these with the macro. They will be for another thread. Here are a few snaps all with the X100V from this mornings walk at a local flora and fauna reserve

#1 It was overcast and 14DegC when I started up one of the main tracks.
50448838316_da3dcc27d5_b.jpg

#2 Then into one of the secondary tracks
50449012107_9ced1de171_b.jpg

#3 And now bushbashing
50449009072_d6f8455915_b.jpg

#4 Keeping an eye out for snakes. This is their territory and there are plenty in these reserves.
50448834666_be064526d3_b.jpg

#5 You might be able to spot the spider orchid in the centre of the frame
50448836701_da76071d50_b.jpg

#6 Closeup of the Spider Orchid
50448835736_2c99bc8254_b.jpg

#7 Another orchid below the one higher up
50448835586_b0de7ae87f_b.jpg

#8 These bronze caps are difficult to see, even harder to find. There are a few in this image with a pair in the centre of the frame
50448138963_ba6b453264_b.jpg

#9 Closeup of the Bronze Cap
50448835021_09cf8878e7_b.jpg

#10 Then onto some Scented Caps
50449007052_de73b5a3c5_b.jpg

#11 Closeup of the Scented Caps
50449006742_a262185716_b.jpg

#12 A triple Scented Cap
50448834821_0b51620119_b.jpg

Last edited:
Truly nice set Richard, especially as it gives a real idea of the scale of things and exactly how small these orchids are. Fascinating. In Pic 8, are there also three insect mounds showing? Possibly ants?

Thank you Ron

Yes, they are Bull ant nests. The nests are all over the reserves.

09D2C8E3-A70B-45BB-9262-3C17EB9FFBAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Another big weekend orchid hunting. This morning I took the X100V along.

I have taken more varieties than these with the macro. They will be for another thread. Here are a few snaps all with the X100V from this mornings walk at a local flora and fauna reserve

#1 It was overcast and 14DegC when I started up one of the main tracks.
View attachment 1671736

#2 Then into one of the secondary tracks
View attachment 1671737

#3 And now bushbashing
View attachment 1671738

#4 Keeping an eye out for snakes. This is their territory and there are plenty in these reserves.
View attachment 1671739

#5 You might be able to spot the spider orchid in the centre of the frame
View attachment 1671740

#6 Closeup of the Spider Orchid
View attachment 1671741

#7 Another orchid below the one higher up
View attachment 1671742

#8 These bronze caps are difficult to see, even harder to find. There are a few in this image with a pair in the centre of the frame
View attachment 1671743

#9 Closeup of the Bronze Cap
View attachment 1671744

#10 Then onto some Scented Caps
View attachment 1671745

#11 Closeup of the Scented Caps
View attachment 1671746

#12 A triple Scented Cap
View attachment 1671747
You are tempting me greatly with these images. I love Fuji sooc files having owned an Xt1 and 2. Traded all those in for cash toward my Nikon Z gear. I loved using 28mm on my Fujis for grab and go photos. The 100 series are much more suited for walk around shooting with the V being a big improvement in the lens.

You are tempting me greatly with these images. I love Fuji sooc files having owned an Xt1 and 2. Traded all those in for cash toward my Nikon Z gear. I loved using 28mm on my Fujis for grab and go photos. The 100 series are much more suited for walk around shooting with the V being a big improvement in the lens.
Hi John. It's worth a look at if you need or want something for a jacket pocket. The X100 series has always attracted me and this time I'm finding that I'm enjoying having the little thing with me. I did also take a look at a used X-Pro2 and 23mm f2, which was tempting too, but it doesn't fit in a pocket like the X100V. Here's another mono from today's dog walk. Acros film sim plus a bit of Lightroom texture:

Waiting for a Crow by warth man, on Flickr

I'm sensing you guys are enjoying your cams, any thoughts on the X-trans sensor as I'm thinking of getting a car glove-box camera sometime in the near future.

I'm sensing you guys are enjoying your cams, any thoughts on the X-trans sensor as I'm thinking of getting a car glove-box camera sometime in the near future.
Loving it. So easy. Fits in my jacket pocket, although I only have the weather resistant filter on plus a pinch cap. In a Mirrorless Mover 5 it slots into the Subaru's centre locker along with packets of mints and sunglasses cases with no problem. That said, I will have a look at an MM10 because I like to have a CPL with me and there is nowhere in an MM5 to put that. I leave the front pocket to the rain cover and have a spare battery in the main compartment, albeit separated by the divider. If only it had a little pocket on the side... I personally have no issues with the sensor. RAW files are good and I've been having fun with the film sims, especially the mono ones. I've just posted some colour pics in this week's CS. They were all from RAW, so will give you an idea but Richard's are superb. I haven't put it on a tripod at all yet but might do if I get to Skye in a couple of weeks - restrictions permitting. Shutter is very quiet or silent. The viewfinder is superb and what really swung it for me v the Z50. I need a good one now and it's also quite nice to have the option of optical and electronic. So far I've used the latter most. Other than performance, it looks wonderful and is made in Japan! All I want now is a Q2 Monochrom!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom