Full frame inquiry

Hello all, I currently have a D90 which I use a lot at various events, mostly automobile racing. A question for ya...I'm thinking on upgrading to a full sensor Nikon ( recommendations welcome) as my budget is limited I probably will buy a good used one and keep my D90. What benefits would I gain with the full frame? Better enlargements? How much bigger are the files and can I still use my current lenses? What would be a fair price for an entry level FF? I know it's a lot of questions, but I don't want to jump into this investment without weighing all the pros and cons. That said I place high trust in all the advice this forum has offered me in the past. Thanks a ton in advance for any help you may offer...Best to all....Mike in NH

First advice, research what focal lenghts you use most. Exposureplot Vandel.nl provides that information. Your current lenses are max 300 and 270mm which you use on a DX, 'crop', camera. So the FOV of those is like a 450 or 405mmm on a FF camera would give. If you use that to fill your frame often, you would need a lens of that focal lenght on FF, since your current 270mm would result in smaller subjects in a photo at the same subject to camera distance.
Your '200mph' photo is at 270mm DX. If that is the subject distance you often shoot at, I'd stay with DX and look into a D7XXX series camera.

I bought a D750 and still use my D90 when I need a lighter easy traveling rig.

I've tried many different bodies and lenses and settled on keeping these two.

FF is different from DX in look and feel of the camera and the resulting photos.

I use the D750 for low light (better pics and Auto Focus than the D90).

Two main things (warnings):
1 - if you go FF you will want to spend even more on FF lenses in short order
2 - effective telephoto range with DX is 50% longer than FF due to the crop factor

The best DX upgrade to a D90 is the D7200, the best FF bargain is the D600/610.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Go to a store please and hold the different bodies in your own hands.
The feeling is important...

Regards
Klaus

Fred, I too still have my D90 which I'm looking to upgrade. Like "atlanta_man," I picked up a D750 (for me it was the sweet spot between function, size, and price) and I can't imagine living without it. I take a lot of indoor pics where I can't use flash, and the D750 does things the D90 can't even imagine! That being said, I got an 80-400mm lens for outdoors, and I'm looking for an upgrade to the D90 to keep that lens on. I still use the D90 with the older 70-300 for "unpredictable conditions" outdoors. The D7200 is definitely in the running for me. I'm no expert, so I can't really offer advice, but I am curious to see the other comments here and your final decision.

I believe after all of the advice (thanks to everyone) I will stay with my d-90 for simply economic reasons, because of having to buy lenses to go with the ff. That said, I might upgrade my lens for the d90. Currently the most used one I have is a Tamron 18-270 F/3.5-6. It is a versatile lens, but I am eyeing a Nikon 70-200 F2, how is the quality of the Tamron compared to the Nikon? I'm glad the advice is free here, thanks again....

I believe after all of the advice (thanks to everyone) I will stay with my d-90 for simply economic reasons, because of having to buy lenses to go with the ff. That said, I might upgrade my lens for the d90. Currently the most used one I have is a Tamron 18-270 F/3.5-6. It is a versatile lens, but I am eyeing a Nikon 70-200 F2, how is the quality of the Tamron compared to the Nikon? I'm glad the advice is free here, thanks again....
Staying with a D90 and buying a 70-200 is a BAD move. You should stay with the DX format and double your pixel count with a D5000 or a D7000 series instead. Also keep the 18-270.
Once you update your camera to 24mp then you can think about getting better glass that will benefit from it, and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Staying with a D90 and buying a 70-200 is a BAD move. You should stay with the DX format and double your pixel count with a D5000 or a D7000 series instead. Also keep the 18-270.
Once you update your camera to 24mp then you can think about getting better glass that will benefit from it, and vice-versa.
Please forgive my ignorance, the D5000 or 7000 had a better pixel count than the 90? I'm assuming that upgrade will give a better looking photo? thanks again for the advice....

Please forgive my ignorance, the D5000 or 7000 had a better pixel count than the 90? I'm assuming that upgrade will give a better looking photo? thanks again for the advice....

He meant a D5xxx or D7xxx model. The current generation is D5600 and D7500, both of which are 24 megapixel (MP) cameras vs. 12MP for your D90. I would suggest looking for a refurbished or low-shutter-count used D7200, which is just a later generation version of the D90.

In addition to more detail as a result of the greater number of pixels, these newer cameras also offer lower noise and greater dynamic range as well as more adjustable controls.

The evolution of Nikon cameras at this level was D70 -> D80 -> D90 -> D7000 -> D7100 -> D7200 -> D7500.

The D7000 was 16MP, and the D7100 and D7200 are 24MP. The D7500 actually decreased to 20MP and lost a few more features which is why I think the D7200 is the sweet spot.

The D5500 offers equivalent picture quality in a much smaller and lighter package. However it has fewer control features and lacks a focus motor so it will only autofocus with AF-S or later lenses that have their own focus motor.

Thanks to all and you PA for the very informative assistance...I believe I will be getting a used 7200 and sell my 90. I very much appreciate everyone's contribution...Another reason I enjoy hanging out there from time to time....

Update, hopefully Saturday I will be checking out and if all goes well buying a nice used D7100...After checking out some of the reviews and info, I cant wait to get it and put it to use...Again, thanks to everyone for the assistance....

Last weekend I purchased a very nice looking D7100, have not had a chance to use it but looking forward to it. Thanks a lot to everyone for the advice...I've said it many times before, you folks are the tops!!!!!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Last weekend I purchased a very nice looking D7100, have not had a chance to use it but looking forward to it. Thanks a lot to everyone for the advice...I've said it many times before, you folks are the tops!!!!!
Have fun Fred.

Kind regards
Klaus

Latest threads

Top Bottom