Full frame mirrorless X 2 on the way

Every time I think about moving to the Sony, another morsel of information comes out on Nikon's intentions.

Thanks for the link. I think the rumor is exciting. I have loved my m4/3 mirrorless. Hopefully Nikon does it well and makes an adaptor available so we can use our F mount lenses.
fmount.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"sophisticated" probably means "expensive" :)

D

Deleted member 13260

Nikon is late to the party on this and it will have to rate high on features, performance and cost to win significant market share.
Mirrorless can be smaller and lighter and many have made the jump from DSLRs already for this. The biggest instant market for Nikon will be their existing user base but a Nikon FF with adapter and F-mount lens won't fall into the small and light class.
Getting rid of the mirror allows higher frame rates but how many shooters have to have more than 10 fps.
Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic all have mature well-featured mirrorless bodies and most have an extensive range of lenses to allow a shooter to build a system. For Panasonic and Olympus that's been a 10 year process. In that time Nikon flubbed it's mirrorless attempt. Even if mark 2 is a technical wonder it's a difficult market to enter now.

I suppose sometimes it's just about giving existing customers more options.
To me it seems like they are trying to keep the company viable. Sony seems to be getting so much good press. A lot of people think mirrorless is the future. I have had m4/3 mirrorless for quite a few years now. I love my Nikon gear, but the mirrorless camera is just more fun for me to shoot with.

Mirrorless can be smaller and lighter and many have made the jump from DSLRs already for this. The biggest instant market for Nikon will be their existing user base but a Nikon FF with adapter and F-mount lens won't fall into the small and light class.

In the past I've considered switching to a mirrorless camera but I find the D750 and 50mm lens to be a fairly light walk around combination. Once you start using zoom and telephoto lenses, they can become the significant contributor to the total weight, not the camera itself.

Comparing weights of full frame systems, the fast primes and zooms from Sony and Nikon have similar weights. The only weight savings is with the cameras. It will be interesting to see what Nikon comes out with, and I do agree they are very late to this party.

Comparing weights of full frame systems, the fast primes and zooms from Sony and Nikon have similar weights. The only weight savings is with the cameras. It will be interesting to see what Nikon comes out with, and I do agree they are very late to this party.

Not only with FF - the constant aperture zooms and the upcoming 200/2 from Fuji are in the same general size/ weight/ price class as their counterparts. And Fuji recently released a slightly larger body with a larger hand grip and reinforced lens mount (X-H1), one of the stated reasons was to provide a platform that works a bit better with the heavier glass. Fuji also has smaller lighter slower lenses for those who want small and light. Gives the ability to choose between compact/ light, and heavier/ bulkier/ faster.

Definitely interested in watching this develop. Late to the party - yes. But IMHO Nikon has a chance to knock it out of the park, especially if they nail the "better" ergonomics/ handling and provide a good catalog of native lenses without taking 10 or 20 years to develop the lineup.

D

Deleted member 13260

I shoot birds with both Nikon and the latest M4/3s. The latter gives me 800mm FE field of view and good images in a package that's about 2/3rds the size and weight of my D500 + 200-500mm, and the tech does some schmick things like turning back the time in burst mode. It's easier all round to use it to produce good images. The Nikon beats its AF though and if in unrepeatable shooting situations it gets slung on the back, not the M4/3. For showing work on the net there's no material IQ difference except in some circumstances that Nikkor makes bird plumage glow. Dunno how it does it but it's impressive.
I don't see that Nikon can compete on size and weight with its mirrorless, and mirrorless bodies have been developed with a range of features that set a high bar for new entrants - high quality WYSIWYG viewfinders, IBIS, focus stacking, fast frame rates, 4K and 6K video, Preburst/Procapture, sensor shift hi-res and so on. If Nikon is complacent about the features race they'll be in trouble - and I'm reminded about the opportunities they've missed every time I use that D500: a touch screen that doesn't work with menu selections beggars belief.

I am waiting on this body and I hope it is good and has the features or I will switch to sony. They have dual slots and they built out their lens line now. I hoped that Nikon would be here with a mirrorless by now. Heck Hassy has one already.

I suppose sometimes it's just about giving existing customers more options.
Especially NEW CUSTOMERS who are not yet grounded to a certain brand name system. It's important to grab these NEW customers before they become ingrained in another brand name system.

Makes perfect sense.

D

Deleted member 13260

Yes, but in mirrorless they've missed that boat IMO.
There's already a range of proven mirrorless options.

Latest threads

Top Bottom