Full frame thoughts...

Ok, I have been thinking I would like to play around with full frame on a digital now. But of course there is not one anywhere near my budget.

So I got to thinking, is there any other brand full frames dslr's that have the nikon mount? Might be able to look for a older full from like pentex or Olympus for instance that would take nikon lens?

Why do you need full frame? Is there something holding you back from your current setup now? Switching to an older different format full frame system will not give you better results than what you currently have.

No nothing holding me back at all, still havnt maxed this out.

Just though that might be nice to see what if any difference full frame had. I read and hear that ff is so much better, which I bet it is, is many regards then my 3100, but who knows.

Was thinking if I could find a older non-nikon ff for a good price might be worth it, instead of the 500 or more for a older nikon, just to play around with.

Until gear holds you back, you're holding it back - so stay with what you have (that's always my philosophy with all things).

I originally wanted full frame for its low ISO performance. But if that capability is slowly coming down to crop sensors....it's not such a bad thing to have the extended range on our lenses. Honestly at this point I'm becoming more and more indifferent about getting full frame. Whereas last year, I would've argued that there's no substitute for its quality.

Or am I missing something significant about FX potential here?

edit: nvm, realized why full frame would be better after watching the DoF video in the other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have been thinking I would like to play around with full frame on a digital now. But of course there is not one anywhere near my budget.

So I got to thinking, is there any other brand full frames dslr's that have the nikon mount? Might be able to look for a older full from like pentex or Olympus for instance that would take nikon lens?

You can get a Kodak DCS Pro full frame digital camera that has a nikon f-mount

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991051060?r=FE

they were very very expensive in their day, but now you can pick up one in excellent condition for around $800

here is a review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs14n/

I hadn't heard of the kodak, interesting stuff.

Still that seems alot of money for 9 year old tech. The cheapest, best performing full frame option would be a used f65 (film camera) for cheap and shoot some velvia. Assuming you can get it finished and assuming you have access to some place that provides high quality scans. You can buy one of those for about $50.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Autofocus-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-NA029990450950?r=FE

Like others however I'm unclear on what you're trying to accomplish here. You said that you didn't want to pay '500 or more' for an older nikon full frame. Nikon has only made 4 full frame cameras, the D700, D3s, D3, D3x. A used D700 would be cheapest but would still set you back about $1700. The only nikon full frame digital camera you'll find in the ball park of $500 is one that was thrown from an airplane. ;)

Your only other option would be to get the canon 5D. I think they go for around a grand.

Keep in mind that most of your lenses won't work on full frame.

If you just want to see what the shallow depth of field that the full frame sensor will do I suggest you pick up a used film camera. If you want full frame for the lower noise at high iso then may I suggest saving for a D7000. If that's out of your price range then noise reducing software is your friend.

Hope that helps.

That is my fault, I thought they were older full frames then that.

I will abandon this quest/thought line.

Not a need there, just a thought to play with, but heck Will wait till I am ready to upgrade and then hopefully a nice d3s will be within my range...

That is my fault, I thought they were older full frames then that.

I will abandon this quest/thought line.

Not a need there, just a thought to play with, but heck Will wait till I am ready to upgrade and then hopefully a nice d3s will be within my range...

Understandable, it's hard to believe that the D3 was the first full frame digital nikon. There was more than a few who jumped ship to canon and picked up a 5D who got tired of waiting. Canon was on full frame ever since the 1Ds, that marks nearly 10 years of canon full frame digital. Nikon stubbornly clung to the belief that APS-C (DX) was superior for a very long time.

But really, you still haven't stated why you wanted to experiment with full frame. If it's for shallow DOF a used f65/n65 and a few rolls of high quality slide film is a really cheap experiment. About what... $130 with finishing and scanning? That's cheap.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom