Full moons - big vs. small ---- why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BostonRott, Jul 12, 2007.

1. I would like to try to shoot a moon rise over the Boston skyline. The image that keeps coming to mind was something that I saw while driving the ambulance late one night (??early one morning??). This HUGE full moon was just hanging over the city, it was STUNNING!

It seems to me that some full moons look larger than others. Why is this? Does it have to do with Earth's tilt? With how early in the moonrise it is?

What I'm trying to figure out is what factors combine to make these really large full moons so that I can plan when to take the shot. My knowledge of astronomy (and the principles there of) is weak, forgive me if this is a dumb question. :redface:

2. Very interesting info in that link, thank you. It would seem that at the beginning of the article, my entire idea has already been shot down.

So how do people get those pictures?? Are they photoshop'ing the big moon into the city scape?

3. Not necessarily, it's a matter of perspective. When we magnify the moon, it looks bigger than it normally does, and when you use a looong telephoto to do the same thing to distant buildings, they still look relatively normal to us as we're used to seeing buildings over a variety of distances. Combine the two in a moon/cityscape shot and it's the moon that stands out to us as being larger.

4. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

It's all a big government conspiracy.
    As you know, the tides and the moon are linked. What the government doesn't want you to know is that it is any large water area that attracts the moon. Therefore you only need to fillup your swimming pool to the brim and you'll see the moon looming in towards you.
    Imagine the chaos if two people filled their swimming pools at the same time in different parts of the world? That's why lumps of moon come crashing down to earth (look at all the craters where bits have been sucked off the face of the moon). For these reasons you often get local bans being imposed on filling swimming pools (or using hosepipes) if the moon-watching agencies think too much moon is falling to earth in any one area.
    It also means if global warming melts the polar ice-caps too much, the oceans will fill up and drag the moon into the earth which would be rather unpleasant for us to say the least.
    Now a little trick (which shouldn't harm anyone too much) for photographing the moon - put a glass of water under your lens when photographing the moon, it should gently move it towards you a bit - go on try it with and without the glass and post the results here !!!!!

5. That makes sense. The brain has multiple frames of reference for large buildings, b/c we can get up close to them, but not so of the moon.

My plan had been to shoot with the 12-24 (and have the 28-70 along, if I didn't like the super-wide view). I'd like to give this a try anyway, and see what comes out. Thanks for the help LBM. :smile:

BTW, one month to the Perseids! :biggrin:

6. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005

Wow, you learn something new every day. LOL

I guess the Hudson River is mighty strong...
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2007
  7. homer.

We'll see you on the island....

8. RFC,

The image you posted does not even look real to me, that looks like a blatant photoshop job, and that's not what I'm wanting to capture (something that looks fake).

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    LOL, yes its a fake but this one is not....

original.

Taken with a D200, nikkor 70-200VR with TC14 @ 280mm raw, 1/4sec f/4 iso 400

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Both beautiful Robert.
    I knew there was a bit of devilment in you:>)))))))))))))

11. Hi Gretchen,

Here is something to try just for fun. When you have a full moon near the horizon that looks big, face away from it and bend over and look at it between your legs. From that perspective it will not look as big, something to do with your brain not sensing the familiar sizes of the trees and buildings on the horizon when viewing inverted.
    Note: the last time I tried this was more than half a century ago so the results are not guaranteed! :eek:

Bob (& Nan)

12. Hhahahaaa!! If shooting in Boston at night with a tripod doesn't get me arrested, this just may! :tongue: :biggrin:

13. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca

Hence the derivation of the term "shooting the moon"???? pants-UP variety, of course LOL:biggrin: