Fun at 1200mm FOV ...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Boobie Joe, Aug 29, 2005.

1. D2X, 300 2.8 + Tamron 2X TC. Yes tripod too ... :smile:

Sloppy PS job on the first one ...

original.

original.

And this one w/o the TC ...

original.

Mirror up option, almost mandatory

2. Sweet shots I love these birds have not seen one all summer long

3. Is it the tamron TC and/or the 300/2.8 that accounts for the sharpness? I have not been able to achieve that quality with my TC20 and my 500/4 or my 300/4.

4. The lens mostly, the TC is a piece of crap and shows some CA and PF

5. Nice sharpness Yves. I have not tried a TC 2.0 on my 300 but it works very well with my TC1.4.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yves,

Excellent shots, as usual. When I get a good shot, and am working on it in PP, I can't help but compare it to yours in my minds eye as THE standard of excellence. I'm certainly not at the point where I can compare my shots to yours yet, but I do have a question. I'm not so sure about the need for MLU for this type of shot. I have gotten exceedingly sharp shots, with the 300 2.8 alone, and with the Nikon 1.4 TC without MLU. Maybe they would be even better with MLU, but for web viewing, they look pretty good to me.

What is your take on this? Do you think that I would be significantly better off with MLU, or would the difference be negligible (and not worth the trouble)?

Thanks,

7. Great work again Yves,

I miss the smilies that drool from there mouths to put as standard smile in the messages to you :tongue:

Your a great photographer. Many of us can learn alot from your way of photographing. I can remember that some canon guy used you as bad example for D2X usage on the DPreview site. Same as he used me as bad example. But all the photo's you have posted of your work made him never open up his mouth again for sure.

Sometimes i see photos from you with a slow shutter speed and then i see the bird razor sharp and the water is in motion. I love that way of photography. When i see a bird i must be quick to photograph it because it is gone a second later.

Love your work, i am not a bird lover as most of you, but when i see some of the guys work here then i am really enjoying it. And maybe i am not such a bird photographer because of the dull birds over here.

Can't wait again to see your next posting again.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

8. Hope you do not mind my piping in here Frank. When your shots already look pretty sharp then MLU will not make much difference, but there will be some improvement. I see the biggest difference with shutter speeds between 1/30 and 1 second when I use MLU.

I discovered a couple of things with MLU. My TC20EII, which I thought was a piece of crap (new Yves term:) is actually not so bad with my 500/4 and MLU. The vibration was killing me, even at 1/500s.

The other one is my 17-55. Because it is a wide angle I did not think about mirror lockup, but I recently took some sunsets and was using MLU with my 70-200 (VR off) and my 300/4. I took some shots with my 17-55 with MLU and then compared them to similar shots I had taken the night before without MLU. On several I could see the difference, and I have printed one to 24x36 inches and the detail is stunning.

So I think the bottom line, with the sensor density of the D2X and the quality of the lenses we are using, is that any vibration is a problem, and that MLU effectively removes vibration. We use a tripod to impose some discipline on composition and utilize the best EV setting. I am leaning towards using MLU more and more to achieve the best quality for landscapes and birds at rest.

I am using the MC-20 and it is a pain to hook up to the camera. First, you risk losing the cap thingy and then the MC-20 droops and bangs/swims into hard things and water. An IR remote, built into the base camera sure would be nice.

Now that I have that off my chest you can all rest easy :smile:

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

I don't mind you jumping in at all (I hope that Yves doesn't mind us going off on a tangent :smile:). I agree that damping vibration is critical on any shot, but especially at the lower shutter speeds. On most of my shots however, stationary just means moving at a moderate pace instead of at 30 - 40 MPH. As a result, I still try to keep the shutter speed up to at least 500, more if I can. I those circumstances, I'm not sure that MLU helps all that much. Guess I should give it a try though and see. :rolleyes:

10. Outstanding Yves!!!

11. It was scary Frank, both my friend and I were stunned at what we saw after the MLU was released (after the shot) creating major movement on the rig.

In theory though, you are right ... except that for 1200mm FOV, you need at least 1/2000 sec to be sharp on a D2X because of the minuscule pixels ...