1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fun (?) at the dam

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. On day two we had a convoy to the dam but when we arrived it was misty and overcast. After walking down to the water's edge I returned to my car to go and find a restroom (too much coffee?). Having found one a few miles down the road I returned to find everyone gone...they deserted me!

Ah well I set up my tripod, Wembly tracker, D2X, remote cable and the Bigma. Scanning the horizon for birdies I found this! :mad: 

141825197-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Those rats! They took the long way round the dam and went to the other side. I didn't have a map so I stayed alone by myself except for a bird or two. Since by then it was very quiet I decided to try to squeeze the most out of the Bigma and tried a few normal and mirror up shots. Here's the difference in a few crops."

First here's a crop across the dam with my normal settings:
    141825047-L.jpg

And here using the mirror up:
    141825120-L.jpg

And another shot normal and then mirror up
    141825016-L.jpg

141825030-L.jpg

Quite a difference! I have to say the Bigma is a disappointment under low light conditions. It was almost impossible to freeze even a slow flying herron. Of course much of this could be my technique, but I did improve over the two days.

This is one of my better herron shots, cropped. It was quite a long way off.
    141825186-L.jpg

However the peace and solitude did help me concentrate (with the others around I would probably have been socializing and not paying attention). The Wembly, mirror up, remote release cable, beach rolley and WhiBal card proved very useful. After balancing the camera/lens assembly on the Wembly I could concentrate on tracking without having to hold anything up.

All in all I managed to make the best of a dismal & eerily silent shooting situation. I'll post the herron shots in another thread.

Rich

2. Wow, neat shots and bummer all at one time!

3. Thanks Dave. I don't see you there. Or were you not wearing the overalls that day? The first thing that gave you all away was the red hair...guess whose?

:biggrin:

4. well I was wearing overall that day but well on my way towards home by then

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I feel bad Rich. But it looks like you made the best of the situation.

6. Awwwww poor Rich! At least you got some nice practice in and a good shot of them all on the other side! Too bad the guys in the boat couldn't give you a ride over!

7. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    OOPS!! Sorry Rich:redface:

Looks like you made the best of it though.

8. Gee.....I just CAN'T imagine!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Actually, I think I saw your car passing us in the opposite direction as we were all heading out and I wondered if that were you but assumed you'd catch up....when you didn't show up after a time then I started to worry. So THAT's what you were doing, capturing us from across the dam! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

9. Rich, sorry you got separated. I was (technically) on the same side of the dam as you, but since I was riding with Dave Watts, I was quite a few miles away by then. :rolleyes: 

One idea that occurred to me on the way home may be of value in situations like this. A list of cell phone numbers of members who plan to attend (and wish to be on the list) could be accumulated and distributed by PM before everyone leaves for the get together. I'll be glad to do it next year (assuming I'm able to attend and I remember ::Confused: )

10. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great idea, Dave! I'll be sure to add that to my list of "preparedness" for next year!:biggrin: (Patrick also says we should be able to distribute a few 2-way radios.)

11. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hi Rich,

I don't want to hijack your thread but I wanted to show all those folks what tree they were standing under. If you look closely you can see an eagle perched in the top of the tree they were standing under. Sorry I didn't get to meet you this year but I am going to do my best to not miss next years.

[​IMG]

12. Oh that's much too funny! And they didn't even know it was there! ROFL!

13. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Oh my bad. This photo wasn't actually taken that day. This was from a last year. Just wanted to show everyone where the eagle likes to perch. :redface:

14. I think is the same tree Andy

IMG_0011.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  15. Ugh, I can't believe they ditched you :wink:. I like that last shot though...it came out nicely!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.