Fun in the Swamp

Once again I visited Brazos Bend State Park, but today went with a friend and we had a whale of a time.

Whistling Duck Gargleing

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Close Encounter of the Third Kind

Intense Concentration

The (Very Rare) Two-Headed Grebe

So thats where our Black Bellied whistling Ducks are.
Shame on you for stealing my ducks:>))))

Great shot of it

All good ones

The duck is most unusual and a fabulous capture.
Dinner must be just ahead of the heron. I have a brother in law who gets the same look. Great shot.
David

The Tri-colored has a fish in its beak, so had to pass on the DF this time. I did get another shot of it plucking an unwary DF out of the air, but even at 1/180 (actually looked up speed, and found it was 1/5 of what I originally claimed. Apologies) those bird's strike reflex is insanely fast - needless to say, it ended up looking like a close up of some impressionistic painting.

The Whistler was doing its "whistle" while craning its neck upwards - I managed to get a couple of "mini-movies" of the sequence whilst machine-gunning the scene. The only regret is it was on a fence and not a branch

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a wonderful day, photographically, as well as weather wise - maxed out about 80 degrees, little wind, not many people until we hit the picnic area, but by then we were done for the day and lunch was coming.

We then ran into a bunch of Brownies on a "swamp outing" and let their Mom's or Dad's pick them up for a look the the view finder (with 400mm and TC20 attached) at a Whistling Duck sleeping in a tree and tried to educate them about swamp safety, how fast gators can move, the names and spelling of the birds they were "observing" for their notebooks. Well behaved, polite and curious - a great combination for a little "lesson".

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom