Fun in the Swamp

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GonzoBernelli, May 19, 2007.

1. Once again I visited Brazos Bend State Park, but today went with a friend and we had a whale of a time.

Whistling Duck Gargleing

Gargling_5741.

Close Encounter of the Third Kind

CloseEncounterof3rdKind_578.

Intense Concentration

Concentration_5837.

The (Very Rare) Two-Headed Grebe

TwoHeadedGrebe_5890.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    So thats where our Black Bellied whistling Ducks are.
    Shame on you for stealing my ducks:>))))

Great shot of it

All good ones

3. That first one is cool Gonzo. I never have seen one before.
    Lou

4. Nice. Never seen the first guy before.
    As for the Grebe, we do have Pied-billed Grebes here but not of the two-headed kind. At least I couldn't photograph one yet. :tongue:

5. Great set Nick, They are all good,

6. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    That 2nd one is my favorite....awesome!

7. Beautiful set Nick. All very nice captures.

8. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great shots Nick. I enjoyed meeting you

9. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    These are all very good Nick! The dragonfly in front of the heron is a nice bonus!

10. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    The duck is most unusual and a fabulous capture.
    Dinner must be just ahead of the heron. I have a brother in law who gets the same look. Great shot.
    David

11. The Tri-colored has a fish in its beak, so had to pass on the DF this time. I did get another shot of it plucking an unwary DF out of the air, but even at 1/180 (actually looked up speed, and found it was 1/5 of what I originally claimed. Apologies) those bird's strike reflex is insanely fast - needless to say, it ended up looking like a close up of some impressionistic painting.

The Whistler was doing its "whistle" while craning its neck upwards - I managed to get a couple of "mini-movies" of the sequence whilst machine-gunning the scene. The only regret is it was on a fence and not a branch

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  12. back to the "drawing board" for me! :tongue: Great shots! :biggrin:

13. It was a wonderful day, photographically, as well as weather wise - maxed out about 80 degrees, little wind, not many people until we hit the picnic area, but by then we were done for the day and lunch was coming.

We then ran into a bunch of Brownies on a "swamp outing" and let their Mom's or Dad's pick them up for a look the the view finder (with 400mm and TC20 attached) at a Whistling Duck sleeping in a tree and tried to educate them about swamp safety, how fast gators can move, the names and spelling of the birds they were "observing" for their notebooks. Well behaved, polite and curious - a great combination for a little "lesson".

14. Nick these are great. Wonderful captures and subjects.

15. Very nice Nick. The Grebe is terrific.
    Louie

16. Wow... I liked them all...... however, number 2 is awesome!