1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fun with a mirror

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ...a mirror lens, that is! :smile:

Hey Everybirdy,

Came upon temporary ownership of a Nikon Reflex-C 500mm f/8 mirror lens and took it for a test drive. Not being particularly adept at manual focus, although I rely heavily on it with digiscoping, I slapped this puppy on my D300 amd nerritt Island NWR made it easy to find a few subjects.
    These are right out of the box images, no pp at all. The bokeh is a little strange, but seems to work best with darker backgrounds. What do you think?

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 257566

View attachment 257567

View attachment 257568

2. WOW! Very interesting photos! How does that lens work? I especially like the butterfly photo - the colors just seem to pop out at me! Nice work on all of them!

3. Thanks Dianne. It's a stubby little lens and pretty light.I believe there's only one magnified element in it, it's a large mirror on the back end reflecting to a reversed smaller mirror need the objective end, which is then reflected through a prism or something onto the sensor. I'm sure it's not the sharpest tool in my shed, but I think there can be a place for this, especially since I don't have a 500mm, or...er...at least... I didn't til now! :biggrin:

4. Well done Thomas, will be interesting see how you end up using this type of lens.

5. interesting because I was looking at one of these (they can be had fairly cheap) and figured it might be a fun lens to play with (maybe even astrophotography with a TC)

6. I've passed on mirror lenses because of the littie rings you get in a dappled light background (in short, bokeh can be very distracting). Used as you did, a mirror lens can obviously be quite an effective tool, and light too! Like the heron and butterfly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.