Critique Fun with Colored Pencils -- Rainbow Remake Added

Any tabletop photographer that enjoys focus stacking and has too much time on his hands has to eventually photograph colored pencils, right?

Setup
For the first two photos, a small continuous-light lamp was on the right and a medium one was on the left. For the third photo, the small lamp was again on the right and a white reflector was on the left. The rainbow in the last photo is a lighting effect from Boris FX Optics. The two dark backgrounds are black velvet and the bright tabletop is white foam core.

Focus Stacking
All photos were focus-bracketed at CamRanger step size Small using a Tamron 90mm macro lens and were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings. The first photo was made from 15 bracketed images, the second photo from 30 bracketed images, and the last photo from 12 bracketed images.

EDIT: The fourth photo, which is a remake of the photo with the rainbow, has been added to this post. The setup and focus-stacking information pertaining to that photo is the same as the third photo.

Photo #1
MIke 2020-10-31--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
MIke 2020-10-31--0001-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-10-31--0003-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-11-01--0001-S.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to West, Jim, Ron, Karen, Terri and Bill!

Would lining up appropriate pencils to match the rainbow colours have been too obvious?

I actually never considered whether that alignment would have been too obvious. Sadly, I also never considered making that alignment until I added the rainbow to the image and immediately noticed that aligning the colors probably would have been a good idea. I told my wife that if nobody mentioned it in the thread, it probably wasn't important enough to take the time to remake the photo. (It won't be as easy as it probably seems to align the pencil colors with the rainbow colors.) Now that you've brought up the subject, I'm compelled to try to make that happen. I'll get back to the thread later today.

Last edited:
Thank you to West, Jim, Ron, Karen, Terri and Bill!

I actually never considered whether that alignment would have been too obvious. Sadly, I also never considered making that alignment until I added the rainbow to the image and immediately noticed that aligning the colors probably would have been a good idea. I told my wife that if nobody mentioned it in the thread, it probably wasn't important enough to take the time to remake the photo. (It won't be as easy as it probably seems to align the pencil colors with the rainbow colors.) Now that you've brought up the subject, I'm compelled to try to make that happen. I'll get back to the thread later today.

I didn't mean to cause you more work but it looks like a fun project. I liked the pic anyway.

As always, technically superb! Another one to lean on your easel!
I like the classic lines of the first one. Yes, it is probably an exercise in every class of tabletop photography- but that is because done well it looks so good.
If it were mine, I would dial the rainbow coloration back a little - so the tones match the pencils. Easy on a black background. Stick the rainbow on a layer and lower opacity until the tones match- but it isn't mine and I enjoy looking at it however you decide.
Gary

Would lining up appropriate pencils to match the rainbow colours have been too obvious?
I would dial the rainbow coloration back a little

The remade photo is now displayed as Photo #4 in the first post of the thread and I think both suggestions make the image considerably stronger. Thank you to Ron and Gary!

Latest threads

Top Bottom