Fun with Kingbirds @ 125th of a second

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I knew the shutter speed of 1/125 wouldn't be near enough to freeze all the action in this sequence but I was hoping for something a bit different. I was pretty happy with the resulting images. I could have raised the ISO etc. but I enjoy experimenting with blurs sometimes. These little birds are quick! These images are three different feeding sequences about five minutes apart.

Gotta throw a greenie in. Would you stick your head in this for a fish?

2. One thing I can Expect from a Glacier Post is the unexpected. Nice set of action shots Andy. The blurr is cool particularly as you froze the mouths.
  3. Wonderful images of the new fledglings just outside of the nest! The shutter speed really makes these interesting
  4. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Super set Andy. I love the ethereal feeling of the Kingbirds.
  5. Man I had to look that one up!!! Us country boys don't have those words in our vocabulary.:biggrin::smile::wink:

Main Entry: ethe·re·al
    Pronunciation: i-'thir-E-&l
    Function: adjective
    1 a : of or relating to the regions beyond the earth b : CELESTIAL, HEAVENLY c : UNWORLDLY, SPIRITUAL
    2 a : lacking material substance : IMMATERIAL, INTANGIBLE b : marked by unusual delicacy or refinement <this smallest, most ethereal, and daintiest of birds -- William Beebe> c : suggesting the heavens or heaven
  6. WOW! Fascinating! :eek::biggrin:
  7. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks very much Gary.

Good to hear from you Dave and thanks!

Thanks Frank. Are you going to post a few of those 800 images or what? :eek:

Made my head hurt. :biggrin:

Thank you very much Diane!
  8. Great work. #3 is just perfect. I love that one.

9. Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Great shots Andy, including the greenie up to its eyeballs in algae. The kingbird shots are very cool, especially the ones where a part of the action is frozen.
  10. The motion is conveyed very evidently.
    I enjoy it very much!
  11. i love the way the shutter captured the motion of the wings,,,,great action. david
  12. tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
  13. Great shots! Beautiful effects.
  14. He Andy whynot raise the ISO to 1600 as you can always add the blur later in PS if you want. I like what you got but I would have tried a few at the highter ISO just to see how it would work at stopping the wings.
    I bet these could be a winner if printed and shown as many people enjoy this type of photo. Years ago I got a dove like this and didn't think much of it but I did print it and at the time my wife and I used to go to shows and let me tell you that simple dove was a winner for me. Sold quite a few prints of it.
  15. Beautiful Andy.

Oh, & there's not enough money on this planet for me to stick my face into that "stuff". ;-)

Great shots all of them.

16. I wonder how the Greenie can see anything through all the duckweed!

The kingbird feeding frenzy is a great series
  17. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you Jose.

I'm very glad you enjoyed them.

Thank you.
  18. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks Jimmy.

Thank you Phil.

I was actually wanting the blur in these images. I already have some in better light where the wings are frozen so I was experimenting. You never know what someone may like as evidenced by your dove image. Why don't you post it? I would love to see it.

Thank you Lil. As much as I love fish I wouldn't go that far for one. :tongue:

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching him do that. They must have great vision.
  19. I love the effect of the slower shutter speed. Thinking outside the box works. I subscribe to Art Morris' Birds as Art emails and he suggests this type of photography. It's saved me from throwing away a few pics I thought didn't work. Your shots really portray the frenzy of the feeding! :smile:

I like the greenie in green shot!
  20. Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you Sandi! I appreciate the comments.