Fungi time of the year.

Wouldn't advise picking and eating this particular mushroom
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Eye level view, after a day's growth.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm guessing Amanita muscara, Bob. If that's correct, for some strange reason, it accumulates vanadium!
I believe you are correct.
"Although classified as poisonous, reports of human deaths resulting from its ingestion are extremely rare. After parboiling twice with water draining—which weakens its toxicity and breaks down the mushroom's psychoactive substances—it is eaten in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. Amanita muscaria is noted for its hallucinogenic properties, with its main psychoactive constituents being the compounds ibotenic acid and muscimol. The mushroom was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the peoples of Siberia, and has a religious significance in these cultures. There has been much speculation on possible traditional use of this mushroom as an intoxicant in other places such as the Middle East, Eurasia, North America, and Scandinavia." Wikipedia...

Those are beautiful mushrooms, Bob, well photographed.

Normally I would be photographing similar subjects now, but we are in a prolonged drought and there are no fungi showing.
Thanks Jim. They are very plentiful around here . I've noticed that it's not as easy to get down to their level (my preferred method ) to get a good perspective.

Thanks Jim. They are very plentiful around here . I've noticed that it's not as easy to get down to their level (my preferred method ) to get a good perspective.
I have a lightweight tripod whose legs can be splayed out to allow a ground-level view. Combining that with the tilt and touch screen on my D5500 (and now Z6) greatly facilitates ground level photos. But you did an excellent job however you did it.

nice shots of my favorite mushroom... I just love the colors... thanks for sharing the shots.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" I would never eat an Amanita because I wouldn't know what wine to pair it with..." - Georgie Beagle

I have a lightweight tripod whose legs can be splayed out to allow a ground-level view. Combining that with the tilt and touch screen on my D5500 (and now Z6) greatly facilitates ground level photos. But you did an excellent job however you did it.
Thanks again Jim.. for these shots it was down on my belly. The Z6 in camera stabilization handled my technique very well I think.
nice shots of my favorite mushroom... I just love the colors... thanks for sharing the shots.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" I would never eat an Amanita because I wouldn't know what wine to pair it with..." - Georgie Beagle
LOL...Any wine would do...I really like this mushroom as well for it's colours and structure..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom