Funky Pidgeon

Discussion in 'Birds' started by spoot, Sep 1, 2008.

1. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    I drove my this park one day and from the road, I could see this cow coloured pidgeon. After that, I knew I had to go back and find that pidgeon and photograph it!

DSC_6351s.jpg

DSC_6375s.jpg

DSC_6384s.jpg

And a duck for good measure:

DSC_6364s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  2. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Let me know what you guys think about them: composition, processing, the border/watermark. Thanks!

3. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Hi Newt, processing, color and exposure all look pretty good, nothing major. Border is slim, so does not overpower, I have mixed feelings about the watermark coinciding with the border - it looks best on #3 where I can't really see the border, so perhaps moving the watermark off the border and leaving a space the same size of it could improve it.

Out of these four shots, I think #2 is your most successful one. For #1 and #4, in general, a lower angle will instantly improve your shot by creating a better relationship between viewer and subject. It will also avoid looking down at the gravel which is oftentimes not too attractive :biggrin: Still, #4 does have a unique viewpoint with the tighter comp. I would have included the tail in #1, however.

Mood on #3 is lovely! I wouldn't mind seeing the water a little lighter, as I almost missed the duck on it. You don't have to lighten it so much that you ruin the mood, but just a tad more so it's not a strain to view. Do wish the whole face would have shown, but you still captured a beautiful fleeting moment there! :smile:

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    One more thing I would like to add on initial viewing is to try and get down a bit lower to the bird's level, instead of shooting from up above as much, if that means getting dirty, then you are doing things right.

Thanks for sharing. I wonder what mix that pigeon is? Interesting colors,

Wade

5. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the comments :smile:

I had a few comments about the watermark clashing on the border, and on second look, I think it will need to be changed. Thanks for the confirmation. I modified a free online CS2 border script so it won't be hard.

I liked number 2 a lot too. Wish I could have gotten better angles, but there was a lot pigeon and geese poop on the ground. I think and angled view finder would be nice for these shots.

Thanks!