Funky Pidgeon

Discussion in 'Birds' started by spoot, Sep 1, 2008.

1. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    I drove my this park one day and from the road, I could see this cow coloured pidgeon. After that, I knew I had to go back and find that pidgeon and photograph it!

DSC_6351s.

DSC_6375s.

DSC_6384s.

And a duck for good measure:

DSC_6364s.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  2. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Let me know what you guys think about them: composition, processing, the border/watermark. Thanks!

3. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Hi Newt, processing, color and exposure all look pretty good, nothing major. Border is slim, so does not overpower, I have mixed feelings about the watermark coinciding with the border - it looks best on #3 where I can't really see the border, so perhaps moving the watermark off the border and leaving a space the same size of it could improve it.

Out of these four shots, I think #2 is your most successful one. For #1 and #4, in general, a lower angle will instantly improve your shot by creating a better relationship between viewer and subject. It will also avoid looking down at the gravel which is oftentimes not too attractive :biggrin: Still, #4 does have a unique viewpoint with the tighter comp. I would have included the tail in #1, however.

Mood on #3 is lovely! I wouldn't mind seeing the water a little lighter, as I almost missed the duck on it. You don't have to lighten it so much that you ruin the mood, but just a tad more so it's not a strain to view. Do wish the whole face would have shown, but you still captured a beautiful fleeting moment there! :smile:

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    One more thing I would like to add on initial viewing is to try and get down a bit lower to the bird's level, instead of shooting from up above as much, if that means getting dirty, then you are doing things right.

Thanks for sharing. I wonder what mix that pigeon is? Interesting colors,

Wade

5. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the comments :smile:

I had a few comments about the watermark clashing on the border, and on second look, I think it will need to be changed. Thanks for the confirmation. I modified a free online CS2 border script so it won't be hard.

I liked number 2 a lot too. Wish I could have gotten better angles, but there was a lot pigeon and geese poop on the ground. I think and angled view finder would be nice for these shots.

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.