Funny experience today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt S, Dec 31, 2005.

1. I called a local pro photo lab regarding printing one of my photos at a large size. I was told that NO digital picture could be enlarged. There is simply not enough information in the photo. He told me the maximum file size was 6mb from a digital and that a 35mm slide produces a 200mb file. So there was just no comparison. The fact that I have two 20x30 prints hanging on my wall from my d70 did not seem to phase him. In the end he said the maximum size they would be willing to print my photo was 4x6. I thanked him for his time and called the next shop in the book. It's funny I have not had a "digital is no good" conversation in while. I thought that labs had gotten over that. Oh well.

In the labs defence I understand that they only want to put their name on the very best quality.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Dinosaurs went extinct. Any "pro" lab with the described attitude will be out of business in a short while. I've printed 1 x 1.5 m from my D2X and people think they originate from large format cameras.

6millibits are not much, probably they believed 1 pixel = 10^-12 bit?

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    :biggrin: :tongue: :redface: millibits - good one!

5. I take it mega bites should be MB not mb???

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Doesn't really matter, just making fun of the ignorami at the lab you called.

The file size of a six megapixel image is about 20 megabytes. I've scanned 35mm film, and while it is possible to get a 200 megabyte file out of it, the resolution of most commercial scanners will give 50 to 60 megabytes only. At 200 megs, it's kinda blurry.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. That is simply ridiculous. The prints I sent to Paris for the Insect Fair were 30x20 inches and they came from jpegs of about 2.5 MB. The detail is fantastic and now I have got them back I am hoping to put them in 2006 on show at a local museum.

BW. Bob F.

9. Try www.mpix.com

excellent quaility and service, try metallic or lustre paper

Greg

10. Matt,

If you go there, I wouldn't leave anything valuable with them. They're going to be out of business very soon with that attitude.

11. Matt, that is pretty incredible! Thanks for sharing the story, it illustrates what some are still thinking (and believing!!) out there...

12. Very interesting Matt.:rolleyes:

13. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I attended the Nikon School a few weeks ago and they had a bunch of 24x36 prints from the D50 and the D70 around the room.
    In fact on my wall next to my desk is a 16x20 macro shot of a bee and a sunflower taken 2 years ago with a Kodak CX6330 (3MP, 3x Optical) P&S camera that retailed for $219 at the time. It is stunning to look at.
    I have a few friends that think I was crazy for buying the D2H because it is "ONLY 4MP!!"
    You should have a poster made and take it back to them and show them.. Oh wait, they might be out of business by the time you get back because they don't understand photography.

14. I did use another lab. I even found it funny that later that day I read the editorial in Outdoor Photographer (Feb 2006) that pretty well confirms that digital has surpassed 35mm in many ways, including print quality. I am still finding it hard to believe that this pro lab is that far behind the technology curve. They have (or had) a great reputation. Like others have said I have several large prints from my DSLR and they look fantastic. I am still on the hunt for a good local lab but in the mean time mpix or other online services fill the void.

15. The fun thing to do is acting if it is a slide. So you take your file you convert it to psd file. Enlarge it to bigger size and save it and you will have 100mb file. Now ask the store to print it at the size you want. I print alot of D70 files on 50x75cm and they all look perfect. And the D2X haves no problem at all to even go larger.

Sometimes you just need to help them to proof them that they are wrong!