FWIW - workflow example with ACR, DeNoise, Clarity, CEP...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I was asked to show the workflow I used for an interior hand held church shot.... And no, it's probably not the best image for a comparison like this. It's just what I had!

D800, 24-120/f4 image taken at 1/90, f5.6, -0.5 comp, ISO 3200!

First, I processed this "quick and dirty", so I didn't spend a lot of time fine tuning settings in ACR, DeNoise, Clarity or Color Efex Pro (CEP) !!!!

Second, I applied each software as a separate layer in CS6.

Third, this is only my quick approach! I'm sure others have a much better process. I am by no means an expert on such things! :tongue:

Notes: The raw image is straight out of the camera - nada adjustments
The DeNoise image includes adjustments made in ACR, the use of the AWA (Adaptive Wide Angle) filter in CS6, and DeNoise
The Clarity image has changes made only using Clarity
The CEP images contains adjustments using Tonal Contrast, Pro Contrast, Darken/Lighten Center and Vignette adjustments
The final image contains a slight curve adjustment, very little dodge/burn, and Smart Sharpening (Now, I'm thinking I'll delete the curve and sharpening adjustments...they lose detail in the highlights and creates noise...!)

First are the 5 images.....then 100% crops of the 5 images....

Click on image to view on my website...

Raw
i-8kwLHnV-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DeNoise
i-58qP9W9-X3.jpg

Clarity
i-xhZqSHf-X3.jpg

CEP
i-BWS5GX2-X3.jpg

final
i-fqN9pNs-X3.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Here are the 100% crops....

(again, I think the "final" image should be re-done, eliminating the light curve I added and most of the sharpening!)

raw
i-zgHzJHs-X3.jpg

DeNoise
i-sMCTX7p-X3.jpg

Clarity
i-ZZkGCWC-X3.jpg

CEP
i-RFTSNWF-X3.jpg

final
i-RTL8JrN-X3.jpg

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
A useful series, thanks.

If you want perfection in architectural photography you also need to completely eliminate lens distortions. Look at the right edge of your photo and you will see that the column has a curve, where it should be perfectly straight and parallel to the edge of the photo. To my eye this is not acceptable.

Although Adobe nowadays offers tools to tackle this, PTLens is still the best. It is both standalone and a PS addon. Costs $25 for a perpetual licence. Very good value.

I think your use of AWA instead of vertical adjustment in lens distortions may be part of the problem. I would have first used PTLens, then used lens distortion in manual mode to remove the convergence. (If you are interested enough give me the NEF, and I'll give it the treatment I would use.)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks, Richard!

As I said, these were quick and dirty. Although you can set AWA to both correct curvature and set horizon or vertical criteria (which I did), it is definitely less than perfect!

Is it best to NOT use lens correction in ACR and just do that as a first step in PS? Then would you use PS's lens distortion in manual mode?

Do you have a drop box or such for the nef?

Last edited by a moderator:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
PM sent.

It is fine to use lens correction in ACR, if ACR recognises your camera/lens combination. Adobe have been quite slow to support all combinations. I'm referring to simply correcting lens problems such as barrel distortion, which all very wide angle lenses suffer from to some degree.

I use PTLens for this, since it knows EVERY combination, it has a vast lens library. And if you manage to find one it doesn't know, the author will tell you how to submit a special calibration photo to him and he will upgrade the program free of charge for you.

This step must be done before any step involving cropping, rotation etc.

Next, in order to correct the converging verticals, it is best to use Photoshop's lens distortion feature. Turn off any automatic corrections or you may correct the lens distortion a second time! Now in the manual section, correct the vertical convergence and apply any rotation needed.

An important tip. Before doing the lens distortion correction make the canvas larger. Add 400 pixels in each direction (for a 12MP camera). If you don't do this parts of the image will be lost.

Next you crop. If you crop to remove all non-image areas you may lose far too much of the image. But you can crop a bit less, perhaps leaving a couple of missing corners at the bottom.

Next you replace (i.e. invent) the missing corners. Use Content Aware or Clone or both.

AWA is very clever and can be useful, but it is really too flexible. You need the discipline of using the vertical and horizontal and rotation tools only, to retain authenticity. Apart from the curved column, look at the window. It is tilting to the right.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I know only too well about "inventing" parts of the image to fill in missing corners! :eek::tongue::wink:

Thanks for the guidance! Since I am using the D800 I'll probably add more than 400 pixels to the canvas....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom