FX Camera

What FX camera is best for photographing wildlife ( BIF) ? I also don't want a heavy camera .

To answer your question , I don't have a camera.
Between these 2 posts, we were offered very little information. Our advice and comments reflect that. It is always best to share as much background and contextual information as you can so we can better help you.

I never said that I thought that. I have owned D200 & D300. The DX cameras are heavier than the D750. That is what I am looking for something like the D750. Weight is the big factor.

D750 - 750g
D7200 - 675g
D500 - 860g
D7500 - 640g

BUT it is not just a camera but a system.

The D750 plus something like a 300PF is going to be lighter than a D500 with the same lens, but you lose in focal length (plus IMO the D500 excels over the D750 for BIF). To achieve a similar FL on the D750, you'd need to add a 1.4TC (190g) which would make it a heavier system for the same FL - and a stop slower as well.

The D750 has advantages in DR and high ISO and for landscape it is probably the better choice. But for BIF specifically, the D500 is hard to beat. Even for travel, the D500 (or lighter D7500) with the 16-80 vs the D750 w/24-120 is a really good option.

Real Name
Randy
D750 - 750g
D7200 - 675g
D500 - 860g
D7500 - 640g

BUT it is not just a camera but a system.

The D750 plus something like a 300PF is going to be lighter than a D500 with the same lens, but you lose in focal length (plus IMO the D500 excels over the D750 for BIF). To achieve a similar FL on the D750, you'd need to add a 1.4TC (190g) which would make it a heavier system for the same FL - and a stop slower as well.

The D750 has advantages in DR and high ISO and for landscape it is probably the better choice. But for BIF specifically, the D500 is hard to beat. Even for travel, the D500 (or lighter D7500) with the 16-80 vs the D750 w/24-120 is a really good option.
y travel combo used to be a D800 + 24-120
now it's a D500 + 16-80
lighter and also better, hard to beat that combo

Real Name
Andrew
I never said that I thought that. I have owned D200 & D300. The DX cameras are heavier than the D750. That is what I am looking for something like the D750. Weight is the big factor.

And weight is all relative. I'm going to get blasted for this... But I don't care anymore...I used a D5 for 12 hours this last Saturday and a lot of pictures I took with it I took one hand with a 70-200/2.8 on the end of it.

Am I insane? Most likely, but that setup was not heavy to me, especially if I could hold it one hand.

Next question you might have is why did I do that? Well, there were shots I needed to get, but my employer needed to contact me on an emergency... So cell phone in left hand talking to them, D5/70-200 in the other shooting. I forgot to bring my Bluetooth headset.

I'm by no means a beast. I can no longer bench 300lbs like I did in my twenties. I'm 44 years old, diabetic... But I'm a scrappy fighter.

If weight of a camera system is an issue, unless you have a specific medical condition...I recommend exercise and light weight lifting to get you where you need to be.

Otherwise, if weight is the prevailing factor, the best system for that and long focal length lenses is going to be micro four thirds. Get an EM1.2, the 300/4 and MC-14 teleconverter. Not much better in a small package anywhere right now.

Now, I stand boldly in front of you, Teflon suit firmly affixed to my person... Ready to accept all insults, hateful retorts, banishments or whatever else in the mean spirited vein anyone wished to project upon me.

I just wished to express another, often under expressed opinion on this.

Last edited:
And weight is all relative. I'm going to get blasted for this... But I don't care anymore...I used a D5 for 12 hours this last Saturday and a lot of pictures I took with it I took one hand with a 70-200/2.8 on the end of it.

Am I insane? Most likely, but that setup was not heavy to me, especially if I could hold it one hand.

Next question you might have is why did I do that? Well, there were shots I needed to get, but my employer needed to contact me on an emergency... So cell phone in left hand taking to them, D5/70-200 in the other shooting. I forgot to bring my Bluetooth headset.

I'm by no means a beast. I can no longer bench 300lbs like I did in my twenties. I'm 44 years old, diabetic... But I'm a scrappy fighter.

If weight of a camera system is an issue, unless you have a specific medical condition...I recommend exercise and light weight lifting to get you where you need to be.

Otherwise, if weight is the prevailing factor, the best system for that and long focal length lenses is going to be micro four thirds. Get an EM1.2, the 300/4 and MC-14 teleconverter. Not much better in a small package anywhere right now.

Now, I stand boldly in front of you, Teflon suit firmly affixed to my person... Ready to accept all insults, hateful retorts, banishments or whatever else in the mean spirited vein anyone wished to project upon me.

I just wished to express another, often under expressed opinion on this.

Nah, no flames from me. It's a fair point.

Look at it this way - the difference between a D750 and a D500 is about two Mounds Bars.

I've seen alot of questions starting with "What's the best..." or "What's the least expensive..." or "Can someone recommend a better...". I believe people do that because they are looking for advice from others that may have experience with the particular item they are asking about. Doing a search is not totally effective because as fast as the digital photography world changes, what was the best 6 months ago might be the worst today. With that said, These opinions are all subjective and while they carry some weight, it's up to the buyer to gather all the input we've provided and make his/her choice as to which camera to purchase.

I shot a cheerleading competion with a D2Hs and 200mm f2 handheld some years ago. While I had no trouble doing it - it was not a lot of fun. Nowadays when I want to have more enjoyment in my photography I either go lighter, or employ a tripod/monopod.

Real Name
Ian
What FX camera is best for photographing wildlife ( BIF) ? I also don't want a heavy camera .
So you want an FF camera, want to shoot BIF, but don't want the kit to be heavy. Do you know what kind of focal lengths are needed for BIF? Do you know how heavy that glass is for FF?

If weight is a concern, do yourself a favor and get a D500. There a many that are used and in excellent condition over on FM.com, selling for $1000-1200. From there, take a look at getting either a 300/4 PF + 1.4x TC, or the Sigma 100-400 (reports I've read have said the Tamron's focusing results in a lower keeper rate than the Sigma).

You can get the D500+300 PF+1.4x TC for ~$3k used, or the D500+100-400 for ~$2k. World-class auto focus and ergonomics in a kit that is still reasonably light weight. The cheapest & lightest FF option would be a D750 + 200-500. While that would be priced similarly as the above options, it would weigh a good bit more, as well as being significantly heavier.

Bottom line: If you want light weight, avoid FF (or bust out your check book and get in line to wait for a 500/5.6 PF).

It's like asking for your favorite Pizza, I have found the best camera for shooting BIF, Birds, bugs is the one cameras you have, you can argue the best till the cows come home, they all work, just get in tune with what you have and do it. just 2cts waiting for change.

Real Name
David
If you like the D750 and don't want to go larger but would consider smaller I'd look at the D7500. Handling would be very similar to the D750 but you actually get higher FPS and better buffer. You also get the crop so you might be able to get away with smaller lenses.

Last edited:
Andrew has just discovered the truth about the remarkable D5: it is so well balanced, and the ergonomics are so good, that it does not feel heavy.
I am in my ninth decade and I was shooting with my D5 and the 24-70mm f/2.8, handheld and on foot, continuously for about three hours last night and never noticed the weight at all.

If you want the best get the Nikon D5, but you don't want heavy so get a Sony RX10 III. From 24mm to 600mm compact and light. I have one that I use when I travel for work and does a very well. Its not a D5 or a 500/600mm F4 lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom