FX Wide Angle Primes

So I have a Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n on the way. It is a 14mp Full Frame camera, based on the Nikon N80 body, with a Kodak sensor, no AA filter, and creates incredibly detailed photos with astounding color, if any of you were unfamiliar with the camera.

I have been using my D2x with the 12-24 for landscape use primarily, and this Kodak will be replacing the D2x for that purpose (the D2x will still stay with me for sports, etc.) I'm wondering what FX wide angle prime you all would recommend. I was strongly considering the 20mm f/3.5 UD, but the only problem with that is that the Kodak will only meter with chipped lenses, so any Manual lens will be full manual metering, etc. I don't have a real huge problem with this, but it could be problematic if I were doing some casual shooting.

So at this point, I'm still considering the 20mm f/3.5 UD, and also the 20mm f/2.8 AF(D), and possibly Sigma 20mm f/1.8. I don't really need anything wider than 20mm, and could probably get by with anything between 20mm-28mm or so. I want to eventually pick up a 20-35mm f/2.8D, but until I have the money for one of those, I'm looking for an inexpensive wide prime.

Thanks for your help,

David

I am happy with the small and lightweight Cosina Voigtländer CV20/3.5.
It is manual focussing, but the SL2 version is chipped (metering works with all Nikon Bodies).
A little bit soft in the corners wide open but from 5.6/8 on it is great for Landscapes because of its flare resistance. And it is tiny, good for travelling light...
You can find a lot of samples in my Cornwall folder on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhg-09/sets/72157624885813314/

(exif info or tags are provided)

Have Fun
Martin!

That definitely looks like a great little lens, but at that price, I would probably pick up a 20-35 f/2.8 AF-D or spend an extra couple hundred for a 17-35.

Great samples though Martin, thank you for sharing.

... I got mine used for 250 € (approx. 300 $) in mint condition (think it was used only for testing)...

Are 17-35s that cheap? (and they are huge...)

Martin

Size/weight isn't an issue. The cheapest I'm able to find one is about $475 for a SL2 on ebay, and they're about $600 pretty much everywhere else.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom