1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

FYB's (Front Yard Birds)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Aug 9, 2009.

1. I was able to spend some time out front today trying to capture some of the action coming in and out of the feeders. Most are the usual suspects, but I notice a lot of first years birds and some look like they have just fledged.
    All shots with the D3 and the 300 2.8 with 2.0 tele. I find this combo when stopped down to f8 very usable. Also used the SB900 for some fill flash. It was a hot and humid day today with humidity almost at 100 percent here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Always enjoy your photos Mike and you have made the usual
    suspects look super.Nothing like shooting close to home:biggrin:
    Excellent series and thanks for sharing.

3. An excellent set Mike. You sure have the combo of D2, 300/2.8 and the TC2.0 dialed in, incredible detail.

4. More then usable - Picture perfect!!! I never had that much luck with my 300 and the TC20 - You make it look like it has no TC on it at all, awesome series buddy!

5. Awesome Mike. Just like your sports shots. Always like them.

I really like the flashed shots. Can you give a quick overview of settings and so on when using fill flash?

Thanks.

6. Wow I love the detail on these. All are exceptional, definitely enjoy seeing these usual suspects up close and personal :smile:

What type of bird is in #1?

7. very impresive especially considering a 2x tc

8. Beautiful set Mike! Great IQ.

9. Thanks Tim I liek the short distance myslef
    Thanks Louie, I have had real luck with my 2x converter
    Thanks Buddy good to hear from you. I have had good luck with my 2x converter
    Thanks Joe
    I shot the camera in A mode with the aperture set to f8. I then shot in TTL FP mode with -1.3 flash ev dialed in. I then adjust the EV as the light requires.
    #1 is a nuthatch
    Thanks Randy

Thanks so much Alex

10. Holy Sharpness! very nice set.

11. Lovely, quality set of birds shots.

You managed to get fantastic backgrounds too, even at F8

12. Mike great looking set as some others have stated much like your sports shots they look great!

13. Mike you have posted another great set of images. Great poses and they are so very sharp. Well done.

14. Thanks so much
    Thanks Jim I appreciate the kind words

15. Nice series of pics Mike. Well done !!

16. Thanks so much Mike hope all is well with you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.