1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

FYI Adobe CS3 and CS4 deal?????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Oct 2, 2008.

1. I just called Adobe, and was trying to order CS4, intending to skip CS3. I was offered CS3 for immediate shipment, and CS4 would then be available to me for the cost of shipping, $6 or something like that.

The price for both, was $200, plus the shipping for CS4

I am not sure if this a 'special' deal or not, but thought I would let everyone know about it.

YES, this was an upgrade, sorry to leave that pertinent out, that is what I vaguely meant by 'skipping'

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  2. fotographiq

fotographiq Guest

What? So like $300 for CS3 and $6 for CS4?

3. Are you upgrading or buying at full price?

You could just download the trial version of CS3, use it until CS4 is available.

Or, you could buy Lightroom 2 instead. It's won me over from Photoshop for everything that doesn't need layers.

4. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's pretty standard practice for software manufacturers to offer no-cost or very low-cost upgrades when you buy the current version just prior to the release of the new version. Usually they give you a 3-6 month window.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Photoshop has a very large learning curve. I would take advantage of the deal if you are willing to learn. I agree with the above post about Lightroom 2. Try the trial version and see if it suits you before you take the plunge into Photoshop

6. Frank I should have tried the free trial of Lightroom. Wish now I had talked to them about the LR and CS2 package, since it was listed together.

7. I have had PS since 02, still not good at it, but at least I know my way around a bit. It is quite a chore to learn new software, my life seems a bit busy for that at times.

8. Yes $200 for CS3, plus the shipping for CS4

9. How do the upgrades work with Adobe? In order to install the upgrade version, you have to have the old version installed? If you up grade several times, does this mean that you have to keep all the old versions around? If I switch to new computer, do I have to install the original full version, then each upgrade in turn?

10. Hey Tom -

This does sound like a good deal.

Here at the University, the "student pricing" on CS3 Photoshop Extended is $199.

I had Photoshop CS, never upgraded to CS2, but have come to appreciate much (some? - lol) of what CS3 can offer vs. CS. Based on what I've read, I'm not yet convinced that CS4 is a worthy upgrade, but for $6, perhaps you can do the experiment for all of us.

I'd say: sounds like a good move if you can swing it.

Best of luck and all good wishes to you and yours in overcoming the challenges that you all have been confronting.

Your pal,

Eric

11. Well I am not sure how answer your question, but I initially bought a full version of PS, 2001, and simply paid the upgrade through the years. Yes to install the upgrade, you must enter a prior valid PS code.
    As I understand it, careful here, you can skip a upgrade without cost, that is why I was willing to jump to CS4 with little knowledge of it. This would give me to a base, for several years to come, for such new products, as CS5 or 6.
    Hope my limited knowledge is of help.:biggrin:

12. I skipped from PS5 to PSCS2. Anything before 5 was not valid for upgrade to CS2. Don't hold me to this, but I think CS3 required PS7 or newer. The old software is also deleted. There is no difference between the full version disc and the upgrade disc, just which type of validation software/serial is attached.

13. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    If you have a software failure, you have to be prepared to go back to a full version that the upgrade is backward compatible to. For example, I have versions 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0, CSI and CSII, and CSIII.

a fresh load, I stick CSIII in, and it gets to a point it asks for a valid license, then you have to swap discs with a valid full version, once it accepts as valid, the full install completes.

That's been my experience. Of course, at some point, the backward compatible full version can increase, so while 5.0 was valid for CSI, it may take 7.0 or higher for CSIII. I do not know the particulars.

14. OK, thanks for the replies. Having to keep previous versions is why I don't like the upgrade model of a lot of software.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.