FYI - Beware car keys near cell phone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GonzoBernelli, May 25, 2007.

1. DETROIT (Reuters) - Nissan North America (7201.T: Quote, Profile, Research has a warning for customers: placing your electronic key too close to your cellphone could leave you stranded.
    The automaker is asking customers driving new models of two of its flagship sedans to keep their car keys and cellphones at least an inch apart to avoid disabling the "intelligent keys."
    Cellphones kept near Nissan's I-Keys -- wireless devices designed to allow drivers to enter and start their cars at the push of a button -- can erase the electronic code on the keys, rendering them unable to unlock or start the cars.
    The problem has occurred on the 2007 Nissan Altima and Infiniti G35 sedans -- two of their top-selling models, the company said on Thursday.
    REUTERS PICTURES

Editors Choice: Best pictures
    from the last 24 hours.
    View Slideshow
    "We discovered that if the I-Key touches a cellphone, outgoing or incoming calls have the potential to alter the electronic code inside the I-Key," Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore said.
    "The car won't start and the I-Key cannot be reprogrammed," he added.
    The problem has occurred in a "very small percentage" of cars sold, Bazemore said. He also said a new version of the I-Key would be available in the fall.
    Bazemore said current owners have been notified of the potential glitch via mail and can get new keys from dealers if they encounter the problem.

2. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Thanks for the post Nick ...... I'm not sure what us women are supposed to do considering "I" normally carry my cell phone and keys in my purse. Of course I don't drive a Nissan, but a lot of cars are going to this type of system. Now I will tell you that a cell phone can deactivate your motel "card" key if carried together. I found that out about 2AM in the morning while trying to get into the lobby!! :biggrin:

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Oh Geesh, yet another technology tangled trap! (TTT for short. ;))

I thought you were going to say a text message could start your car with one of those keyless entry systems. :tongue:

I suppose anything is possible nowadays. Here's one for you, I was trying to press open disc tray on my HD-DVD player remote control for my A/V system, and not once but TWICE I opened the CD/DVD drawer on my PC, ROFL. Uh, I wasn't even aware I had IR on my CD/DVD burner. (head scratch)

Lisa, carry 2 purses? LOL. IS that not every lady's dream? Then she can match her shoes and her belt. ;)

Doug

4. If I could catch the toddler who ran off with both my keys and my cell phone, I might could fix the problem! :tongue:

5. LisaR

LisaR Guest

Doug .... if I had enough money to be able to carry TWO purses, I would. Unfortunately, I have no need for two of them!! :biggrin:

TTT----- I like that term. I hope you don't mind if I use it ... I'm sure I'll run across something appropriate for the term in the near future.

6. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I like that "TTT", its better than the "law of unintended consequences". Who knows what new and unexpected TTT's lie down the road?

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Yeah, I guess it's "out there". Will be funny if it shows up in Wikopedia someday. ha. I'll know I started something. ;)

Lisa, Toby, I will extend copyright use to you all for my term. :)