FYI: NEW Nikon 50 / 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by forbidden_hero, Sep 22, 2008.

1. forbidden_hero

forbidden_hero

Jan 12, 2006
    Toronto
    Nikon Officially Releases AF-S 50mm f/1.4G

Pre-Photokina 2008: Nikon has today announced a new standard prime lens, the AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G. Headlining the new features is a built-in Silent Wave Motor which enables autofocus with the D60/D40x/D40 DSLRs, but the lens also boasts a brand-new optical system with 8 elements in 7 groups for improved image quality, a circular aperture diaphragm for more attractive background blur, and a barrel design which does not change length on focusing. The lens will be available from December 2008.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/Nikkor50-001.jpg

2. Well...

People will jump on this one like misery on poor people... (I want one :biggrin:) But what I really want is a 35/1.4 AF-S

3. I bet this thing is going to be flying off the shelves. :cool:

4. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Haah..i was just going to post this..Just what I was waiting for now lets see if they release a new 85 f/1.4..

5. They took a different approach than Sigma, which went with an aspherical design and is a relatively huge lens.

Filter size goes from the current 50/1.4's 52mm to 58mm. Lens gains only one ounce, it's only a little bigger. So much for the theory that adding AF-S to it would make it heavy and bulky. Looks like "true" AF-S too -- SWM motor, instant manual override.

I wonder because of this, will it really be significantly more expensive than the Sigma, as Nikons usually are? We'll find out soon enough.

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    I'm dissappointed that there is no VR, no nanocoat, no aspherical elements, and the rumored 700 euro price tag.

7. I just wonder what it'll sell for.......

8. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Yeah it's been rumored for over a year. I'd rather wait for the 85/2 VR though.

9. You and me both, on very different ends of the skill spectrum! Poses a real dilemma for me because the DX FOV on the 50 f/1.8D is just to long for many indoor pics of my family, though I've gotten some captures not possible with the 18-55VR kit:

DSC_7634.jpg

Yet with a new baby (5th kid), I don't want to wait forever for an MX 135mm f/2 that I almost certainly won't be able to afford. Maybe I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on the Dirty Thirty.

10. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    From the picture at dpreview it looks like it has a plastic mount. $440 seems steep to me for that.

11. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i'm sure it will be, given nikon's track record! the press release promises smoother bokeh, and better coma suppression so i'm betting that the wide open performance will be much improved. it's a modern design whereas the 50/1.4 AF-D design is over 30 years old.

12. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    It's clearly a metal mount though, I can see the metal. If it turns out to be plastic mount I'm going to protest. $440 is a reasonable price for a modern design with a ring motor.

13. Lack of VR isn't too surprising (insert it does/doesn't need VR arguments elsewhere). The U.S. price is $440 as mentioned before, actually cheaper than the Sigma though obviously not the same design approach.

I'm bit surprised too that they didn't stick the Nanocoat on it. They stuck it on the 60/2.8 AF-S.

This will make a small amount of D40/D40x/D60 owners happy because they have an autofocus, very fast prime option. And one that more closely aligns with the dimensions of their compact bodies than the Sigma does. However, it won't come cheap for those bodies that are usually aimed at smaller budgets. And I'm sure they'll wish for a AF-S 50/1.8, whatever that would cost.

14. Wait -- no mention of any ED elements?

No NC, no ED, fairly modest looking lens.

If I was paranoid I'd wonder if this was the new "low-end" or at least mid-range 50mm lens. And for full-frame users with $3k - 5k bodies, there's a 50mm f/1.2 AF-S ED NC in development somewhere, with a price to match all the acronyms.:biggrin:

15. Yep. Me too. I'd even consider selling my D50 and picking up the D40 if Nikon could deliver this lens.

16. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    there was never any CA problem with 50mm lenses, so i guess it's not needed.

17. I had a copy of the 50mm f/1.4 AF-D and CA was a nightmare.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008